The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

Did we pick the wrong player again?

While Horvat looked impressive in the young guns tournament, he wasn't very noticeable in his first pre-season action, while Nichushkin... scored 2 goals and had 9 O.o shots, a hit, and 2 blocked shots in his first game.

I realize it's incredibly early, but what a way to make a first impression.

Pretty sure this won't get closed like my thread for the simple reason that I didn't make it.

But, yeah good question. OP.

Part of what makes me wary is that Dallas' new GM Jim Nill, who selected Nichushkin, was previously the long-time director of scouting for the Red Wings... and we all know what gems they've managed to unearth over the years. Guess I just don't wanna relive Shawn Antoski 2.0 - but yeah, only 1 game. Lets hope Torts gives these young guys some rope unlike Coach V.

Nichushkin is no doubt a better player in terms of offence. He was the most nhl ready in terms of physique and he also has experience as he played in the Russian league with grown men; the canucks took horvat because they wanted depth at the center position. If the canucks wanted pure offence, they would've picked Nichuskin without a doubt. It is kind of bitter that we let Nichushkin go to Dallas, but at least Shinkaruk makes up for the offensive part.

Did we pick the wrong player again?

While Horvat looked impressive in the young guns tournament, he wasn't very noticeable in his first pre-season action, while Nichushkin... scored 2 goals and had 9 O.o shots, a hit, and 2 blocked shots in his first game.

I realize it's incredibly early, but what a way to make a first impression.

There are numerous rookies that have one good game and everyone says they are the second coming. We need to look at it in hindsight. We can make this argument in 4-5 years when they have legitiment NHL experience under there belt.

I also think Russian players stock has dropped due to a lot of them retreating to the KHL and it's a safer pick going Canadian.

Ill take a heart and soul Canadian Centre over a flashy Russian 9 out of 10 times.

And I don't think this is one of those times I go Russia

Bo will be a stud, but for a team that struggles to score goals I would've liked to see Gillis go with a pure offensive power winger. Nichushkin has huge offensive upside, I understand Horvat was the safe pick but you don't win by playing it safe.

Nichushkin is by far the better offensive player. Not even close. Much more skill, better size too.

Horvat is better defensively, more clutch, better fit for the playoffs and most importantly a good fit at center which is what we want.

Nichushkin would have been nice, but we wouldn't have had many centers after Henrik and Kesler, whereas we've already got big physical wingers in Jensen and Kassian.

sHuuDlveZz DrftedDD K00pitarZ111

Funny you say that since I always wanted the Canucks to draft Kopitar before the draft happened similar to Nischuskin who I think might be the next Kopitar only on the wing. I like Horvat too but I wanted Nischushkin before the draft and I thought the Canucks traded into top 10 to get him since Horvat wasn't even in my radar.

Archived