The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

Nichushkin is by far the better offensive player. Not even close. Much more skill, better size too.

Horvat is better defensively, more clutch, better fit for the playoffs and most importantly a good fit at center which is what we want.

Nichushkin would have been nice, but we wouldn't have had many centers after Henrik and Kesler, whereas we've already got big physical wingers in Jensen and Kassian.

I would always go BPA, you can always trade for your weakness afterwards or trade that BPA for player of similar caliber at a different position. Although am still fine that the Canucks picked Horvat but maybe for the shorter term where benefits might have been seen right away, Nischushkin would've been the better pick. Longer term, who knows which player will be better between the two.

I don't know, Nichushkin is obviously the better offensive talent. But I would argue that with how the playoffs have been played the past few years a really good two player, ie your bergeron, toews etc, are more valuable than your high end offensive guys. I mean just the fact the it is plausible for someone to make the argument that bergeron was more the important player last playoffs that crosby says a lot. So assuming they both pan out and stick around in the NHL, I would think you would rather have a guy like Horvat for the playoffs

Pretty sure this won't get closed like my thread for the simple reason that I didn't make it.

But, yeah good question. OP.

Pretty sure you did make this post.

And it's more likely to stay up simply because it's not your. How's that make ya feel there sunshine?

Did we pick the wrong player again?

While Horvat looked impressive in the young guns tournament, he wasn't very noticeable in his first pre-season action, while Nichushkin... scored 2 goals and had 9 O.o shots, a hit, and 2 blocked shots in his first game.

I realize it's incredibly early, but what a way to make a first impression.

If Valeri wasn't Russian he would of gone top 5 for sure cuz he's big, has speed, and skill.. Horvat will be a good player for us, just a totally different type compared to Valeri.. Almost like a poor mans ovechkin vs toews.. Toews won't ever be as flashy but is considered by most to be the better player..

( I'm not sayin either of these players are toews or ovechkin

Nichushkin is no doubt a better player in terms of offence. He was the most nhl ready in terms of physique and he also has experience as he played in the Russian league with grown men; the canucks took horvat because they wanted depth at the center position. If the canucks wanted pure offence, they would've picked Nichuskin without a doubt.

this

Archived