The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

Apparently he was benched partly because he was taking some 1minute,10sec shifts in order to play with some better players.

It's the typical battle teams have with Russians. They want to score flashy goals right away and the coaching for the most part wants to get their players to play just a little defense and round out their game.

After the healthy scratch he lined up on the left with Horcoff and Cole on the right and the line played around 10mins, collecting no points and a minus.

When these guys produce right away, it's fantastic. But when they don't, it's often a train wreck.

imho He might've been better served to play in the K another year or two. Then come over and dominate like Malkin and OV (if he is indeed capable.)

Yakupov is also struggling out of the gate this season. No doubt icetime and linemates have come up in discussions during his scratch. He came back and found Hemsky demoted and himself demoted. Could be the sopohmore slump, but with Gagner in, Yakupov has been far more effective.

Coaches are put in akward positions when they are forced to give a guy time, regardless of whether they produce.

For that reason alone, i may be very happy that we picked Bo over Val.

Apparently he was benched partly because he was taking some 1minute,10sec shifts in order to play with some better players.

It's the typical battle teams have with Russians. They want to score flashy goals right away and the coaching for the most part wants to get their players to play just a little defense and round out their game.

After the healthy scratch he lined up on the left with Horcoff and Cole on the right and the line played around 10mins, collecting no points and a minus.

When these guys produce right away, it's fantastic. But when they don't, it's often a train wreck.

imho He might've been better served to play in the K another year or two. Then come over and dominate like Malkin and OV (if he is indeed capable.)

Yakupov is also struggling out of the gate this season. No doubt icetime and linemates have come up in discussions during his scratch. He came back and found Hemsky demoted and himself demoted. Could be the sopohmore slump, but with Gagner in, Yakupov has been far more effective.

Coaches are put in akward positions when they are forced to give a guy time, regardless of whether they produce.

For that reason alone, i may be very happy that we picked Bo over Val.

the problem is that the KHL is a lot more competitive in terms of salary compare to the Ove/Malkin days. If he performs well in the KHL, it will be VERY costy to convince him over to play for Dallas.

the problem is that the KHL is a lot more competitive in terms of salary compare to the Ove/Malkin days. If he performs well in the KHL, it will be VERY costy to convince him over to play for Dallas.

True, but if you keep him here and that player still gets a lack of icetime, he could also bolt over to the KHL permanently. It's a risk either way.

What? No it isn't. The salary cap in the KHL is lower, lots of team are financial wrecks. I think what you're thinking of is those huge contracts offered to Bobrovsky and Malkin? The KHL has a clause that allows a team to have ONE player whose salary does not count to the cap, only if that player last played in the NHL.

If you mean that he would make more continuing to play in the KHL vs coming here and having a Rookie's salary cap, then yes, I agree that's a problem. I don't know anything about Nichushkin to say that is the case though.

Nichushkin with 16:14 of ice time today against the Kings in a 3-2 loss.

He logged 3:53 of pp time (almost 2 full pp's....... that's more than/or as much as our whole team gets in one game usually! :o ) and recorded just a single shot in the whole game. He was held scoreless yet again, and was also −1 for the game.

Man, he is well on his way to that Calder now, hey guys!?!! :lol:

Nichushkin with 16:14 of ice time today against the Kings in a 3-2 loss.

He logged 3:53 of pp time (almost 2 full pp's....... that's more than/or as much as our whole team gets in one game usually! :o ) and recorded just a single shot in the whole game. He was held scoreless yet again, and was also −1 for the game.

Man, he is well on his way to that Calder now, hey guys!?!! :lol:

I smell AHL..oh yeah I'm not sure he can be sent there.

I think there's a deal either via handshake or via Khl contract rules that he could only report to the Nhl team. Reading Stars HF.

All accounts agree that he's not ready.

he's going to be a force eventually. just not now. extremely difficult for an 18yr old to stick

What's the rule for ex-KHL players? Can he be demoted to the AHL?

The only thing you need to remember is the age restriction for players being sent to the AHL or junior applies only to players drafted out of the CHL. Since Nichushkin wasn't playing in the CHL when he was drafted, he can go back overseas potentially if not playing in the NHL, or to the AHL.

Just remember guys we did steal shinkaruk as well.

Shink and bo > nichuskin.

Horvat > Nichushkin. Players with a good two way game seem to be some of the best playoff performers (Toews, Bergeron, M.Richards, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc), Horvat has been compared to some of those players. I agree that Shinkaruk was a steal.

Horvat > Nichushkin. Players with a good two way game seem to be some of the best playoff performers (Toews, Bergeron, M.Richards, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, etc), Horvat has been compared to some of those players. I agree that Shinkaruk was a steal.

Ohl playoff MVP in his break out junior year. Kids only gonna get better.

Ohl playoff MVP in his break out junior year. Kids only gonna get better.

Exactly. I kinda see Horvat becoming the next Couture. Both were 9th overall and both were traded for, same size and both play a good two way game. They have similarities but Horvat's more NHL ready than Couture was when he was drafted. Couture spent two seasons in the CHL after he was drafted and spent some time in the AHL.

We are not hating him. It's just people in this forum are hyping him a Calder winnig ppg rookie this year before seeing him play.

It's not the player we hate, it's the freaking mentality that those so call "fans" are using that is pissng me off. They jump to conclusion on players and teams without supporting facts to back them up, then becomes REALLY vocal about those statements and preach them as facts.

They did that to the sedins, luongo, our gm, and ffs they managed to do it on horvat, who is 18 years old and didnt even play a single regular season game.

On the side note, Nichushkin had no point, and a minus 1 last night again.

When will you understand that this is a hockey discussion forum , a place where people talk about hockey related subjects , I have seen no hate for Horvat , nearly all the posters here think he is going to be a really good player eventually. Some of us think that Nichushkin is further along in his development than Horvat , sure he has not made the impact that players like McKinnon , Barkov and Monahan have but it is very early days yet , I wish some of the users in this thread were GMs in my fantasy leagues , you guys would trade away your best players if they did not perform well for a few games.

When will you understand that this is a hockey discussion forum , a place where people talk about hockey related subjects , I have seen no hate for Horvat , nearly all the posters here think he is going to be a really good player eventually. Some of us think that Nichushkin is further along in his development than Horvat , sure he has not made the impact that players like McKinnon , Barkov and Monahan have but it is very early days yet , I wish some of the users in this thread were GMs in my fantasy leagues , you guys would trade away your best players if they did not perform well for a few games.

actually just because you are in a hockey forum it doesn't mean you can make raw prediction without any solid base. Throughout the thread i had already explained to you why it's bad to draft Nichushkin and it's becasue of his tie to the KHL that makes him a really risky move.

then some of you come here and predict him being the better player than Horvat WITHOUT even seeing him to play one reg game. This is the problem i have with people like you or patrick kane or any other user who made bold prediction without any solid facts to back them up.

yes, it's early for Nich to preform like Mckinnon and barkov. but the difference between him and those other rookies are that you won't have to risk losing them to the KHL. This fact alone would make him very hard to develop and mold him into the player a team need.

Archived