The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

yes, it's early for Nich to preform like Mckinnon and barkov. but the difference between him and those other rookies are that you won't have to risk losing them to the KHL. This fact alone would make him very hard to develop and mold him into the player a team need.

Look at all the problems the Oilers are having with Yak. If you piss them off they have the final trump card to bolt back to the KHL.

Superstars like Malkin and Ovechkin will be pampered to death. Third rate Russians will feel fortunate they are playing in the NHL at all and keep their mouths shut.

Its the huge glut of Russians in the middle who can quite frankly make more in the KHL , speak Russian and pay no taxes.

actually just because you are in a hockey forum it doesn't mean you can make raw prediction without any solid base. Throughout the thread i had already explained to you why it's bad to draft Nichushkin and it's becasue of his tie to the KHL that makes him a really risky move.

then some of you come here and predict him being the better player than Horvat WITHOUT even seeing him to play one reg game. This is the problem i have with people like you or patrick kane or any other user who made bold prediction without any solid facts to back them up.

yes, it's early for Nich to preform like Mckinnon and barkov. but the difference between him and those other rookies are that you won't have to risk losing them to the KHL. This fact alone would make him very hard to develop and mold him into the player a team need.

actually just because you are in a hockey forum it doesn't mean you can make raw prediction without any solid base. Throughout the thread i had already explained to you why it's bad to draft Nichushkin and it's becasue of his tie to the KHL that makes him a really risky move.

then some of you come here and predict him being the better player than Horvat WITHOUT even seeing him to play one reg game. This is the problem i have with people like you or patrick kane or any other user who made bold prediction without any solid facts to back them up.

I never predicted that he would be a better player than Horvat , get your facts straight buddy , I said he was more NHL ready than Horvat , and I based that judgement on several factors , his play in the KHL , his play at the World juniors. You need to chill out , having problems with people who disagree with you on the internet will give you high blood pressure.

• 10 months later...

The thing that pisses me off the most is the 'Oh well lets wait and see 3 years down the road...' That is such a cope out. No doubt that we lost out on the better player here. 2 way players are literally a dime a dozen. Said before and I'll say it again. In three years Nichuhkin will still be in the NHL and Mike Gillis wont be.

Gillis where art thou? Hope Horvat pans out but for now I am just glad Gillis is gone and it only took a few months instead of 3years to happen.

Part of what makes me wary is that Dallas' new GM Jim Nill, who selected Nichushkin, was previously the long-time director of scouting for the Red Wings... and we all know what gems they've managed to unearth over the years. Guess I just don't wanna relive Shawn Antoski 2.0 - but yeah, only 1 game. Lets hope Torts gives these young guys some rope unlike Coach V.

Shawn Antoski was traded for Markus Naslund....what's not to like about that? Oh yah...we also picked Peter Nedved that year with our other 1st rounder when we could have drafted Jagr. Hindsight is everything....

I believe in Linden and Benning though so if they think Bonino is a 2nd line centre, good enough for me.Same for Horvat....expected to be a really good player so comparing him to a very different type of player is counterproductive. I like the pick and think Horvat will put a smile on our faces....just give him time to develop.

Guest Dasein

Positional need + Russian factor was probably what put Bo over Valeri.

In fact, it was a policy under Gillis to NOT draft a Russian. So dumb.

But we needed to draft a top-6 center and Bo was available.

Valeri definitely has more offensive talent. I don't know if it's enough to justify taking him over Bo in a rebuild.

Strength down the middle is what you need to build a strong team, and Bo is a piece that fits the need.

Guest Dasein

I think so. But now we have Virtanen who is kind of the Canadian Equivelant of this draft, works out good.

Nichushkin is 6'4" 205lbs - he's more like a Rick Nash-type player with a huge reach and size.

Virtanen is 6'1" 210lbs - he's more like a Jarome Iginla-type player with a great shot and physicality.

I mean holy sh!t watch this kid play:

Size, skill, speed. He has better hands and creativity, and plays a more cerebral game than Virtanen.

Virtanen's a great prospect, but they are not equivalents. Different skillset.

Archived