The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] VAN vs EDM - Sep 18, 2013 - 7PM

Strombone1

Here's my analysis of the game for anyone interested.

Oilers icing almost their full lineup on their 4th pre season game while the Canucks are playing in their second and only Jensen, Shinkaruk, Horvat and Gaunce playing both games.

Sedins had an okay game, you could tell their timing was off. Positional they seemed like they are trying to figure out where Kassian will be and vice versa.

Gaunce had a noticeable game both offensively and defensively.

Luongo had a tough game, seemed like he had trouble tracking the puck to start. He can't let those goals in but it happens, really only let him off on the first goal when he got run into by Tanev are losing the puck.

Shinkaruk has his moments, want to see more of him.

Garrison was a beast, played some 33 mins I think.

Santorelli was all over the ice, made some nice heady plays with the puck.

Tough game, messy first 10. Had trouble sustaining offensive pressure.

Preseason game 2 down, on to Saturday!

Here's my analysis of the game for anyone interested.

Oilers icing almost their full lineup on their 4th pre season game while the Canucks are playing in their second and only Jensen, Shinkaruk, Horvat and Gaunce playing both games.

Sedins had an okay game, you could tell their timing was off. Positional they seemed like they are trying to figure out where Kassian will be and vice versa.

Gaunce had a noticeable game both offensively and defensively.

Luongo had a tough game, seemed like he had trouble tracking the puck to start. He can't let those goals in but it happens, really only let him off on the first goal when he got run into by Tanev are losing the puck.

Shinkaruk has his moments, want to see more of him.

Garrison was a beast, played some 33 mins I think.

Santorelli was all over the ice, made some nice heady plays with the puck.

Tough game, messy first 10. Had trouble sustaining offensive pressure.

Preseason game 2 down, on to Saturday!

Too many people are focusing on the minuses in the game. Yeah we lost but some things that I saw was a plus was that the Canucks after a horrific first period were able to finally play some good hockey for two periods. Not great but a good recovery game, so imagine we didn't have that hiccup in the first and looked at the play in the last 2 periods, we didn't play all that bad.

IMO I really liked Garrson and Bieksa's play in the 2nd and third, they were able to bring some stability and with Mullen and negrin out early they played some long minutes. They didn't do all that bad and it showed that they could possibly play long minutes in the regular season.. Tanev didn't play too badly either after the first so then really if you look at it we have a weird dilemma

Hamhuis-Corrado

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

who becomes the top pairing d now? Who logs the most minutes. I also liked Santorelli's game as he showed versatility. Kassian skating looked pretty well, wasn't a great player tonight but played okay. I also impressed thoroughly with Richardson. 7/8 on the draws, showed tenacity, grit, speed and good two way hockey.

So there were plus' for tonights game despite the score suggesting otherwise

Regarding the Oilers lineup, this isn't correct. The Canucks had 3 of their regular defensemen, as did the Oilers. The Oilers had a mix of some vets and depth players, as last I checked guys like Acton, Arcobello and Pitlick aren't on the big club (yet). Both teams began with their starting goaltenders. The lineups were more or less comparable. The big difference to me was that the Oilers' big guns showed up, and the Canucks did not.

Having said that, it's just preseason, and it's the first game this season for most of the team, but they seemed to really pack it in after the 2nd period.

Regarding the Oilers lineup, this isn't correct. The Canucks had 3 of their regular defensemen, as did the Oilers. The Oilers had a mix of some vets and depth players, as last I checked guys like Acton, Arcobello and Pitlick aren't on the big club (yet). Both teams began with their starting goaltenders. The lineups were more or less comparable. The big difference to me was that the Oilers' big guns showed up, and the Canucks did not.

Having said that, it's just preseason, and it's the first game this season for most of the team, but they seemed to really pack it in after the 2nd period.

It isn't correct?

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky

Perron-Arcobello-Eberle

Joensuu-Gordon-Pitlick

Eager-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz

Nurse-Schultz

Marcinin-Hunt

Gordon signed to be their 3 C and Acton has the inside track of being the 4 C. Eakins loved this guy on the Marlies and everyone has been giving him rave reviews. They are missing 2 players from their top 9,Yakupov and RNH while the Canucks were missing Kesler, Burrows, Booth and Higgins from there's. Seems to me the Oilers had roughly 75% of their opening night forwards iced tonight.

Whatever, as amusing it was to see Luongo choking given the drama of it, he'll get over it and he just has to get warmed up. He's coming off a dramatic off season and was the backup the season prior, give him 5-10 games to heat up to his old self, people!

As for my impressions of our prospects:

Jensen: Wow, this guy seems invisible

Horvat: Okay I guess, nothing that impressive

Shinkaruk: Sniped an NHL level goal and shows passion and determination. This guy is our top prospect right now in my estimation.

Gaunce: Potted 2 goals, not particularly highlight reel, but he's getting the job done!

I'd like to see more of the latter two!

I lost interest in the score and just wanted to see the new faces on the team...I thought Richardson looked good out there and Gaunce looked good as well...Both players brought energy and made things happen.Shinkaruk is also is demonstrating that he will be a good player,always hungry for the puck.....I would have liked to have seen a little more from Bo Horvat.

Archived