Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Does anybody else NOT want our "young guns" to make the team?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 baumerman77

baumerman77

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

POPULAR

I don't want any of our junior-eligible players to make this team. That's not to say I don't want them to do well during the pre-season, I just believe junior development is extremely important for 18 and 19 year-olds. Personally, I would love to see the draft move to 19 year-olds instead of 18 year-olds. So few 18 year-olds make the league and even fewer make a significant impact on their team, especially if their team is a "playoff contender".

As far as Corrado and Jensen are consider I would also like to see them start the year in the minors so that they can play big minutes and adjust to the pro game.

Am I alone here or do others not want our young guns to make this team?

#2 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

POPULAR

If they're ready why would you not want them on the team?

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

AV you were fired get off our board.

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ready is as ready does.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_Pinchin_*

Guest_Pinchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, there has never been any 18 year olds ready for the NHL, we shouldn't trust our team's coaching and management to make the right decisions about our prospects.

#6 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Generally, I believe it is best to be as patient as possible. Development time is important.

If one forces your hand into to keeping him, you do it.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#7 Cyril Sneer

Cyril Sneer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Nothing worse then biting into a green apple.

I'd like to wait till its sweet and delicious rather then forcing the sour one down my throat.

Cause I'm hungry now.

Edited by Cyril Sneer, 18 September 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#8 ridehard1212

ridehard1212

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

sometimes being thrown into the fire is the best way to learn.. Usually the case for the strong ones
I dont give a rat arz about my spelling/grammer mistakes,get over it and up urs if it bothers u!!!!

#9 Profanity

Profanity

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Just like many questions, the answer is:

It depends.

Not a lot of young players can make the quick jump and succeed in the NHL level, but that doesn't mean we should develope all our prospects in one single way and route.

#10 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I see Horvat, Shinni and Gaunce all playing their last year in the CHL this season.

I think at center we're pretty well set with:

Sedin
Kesler
Schroeder
Richardson

There's 5 more pre-season games to go so we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but this is just my opinion thus far. Though I must admit, I believe that Shinkaruk is much closer than most people think.

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#11 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

AV you were fired get off our board.

Gold.

Honestly if they can play with the big boys, I say let them. Competition only drives players to better themselves to ensure a roster spot.

#12 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think Schroeder should start at 3C, leaving only a spot for a winger until Booth returns. Corrado may get some time as well, but that's about it.

#13 Dr. Crossbar

Dr. Crossbar

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, the last seven years of not playing young guns didn't get us a cup. Why do the same thing if some are ready to go? New coach, new philosophy, new culture ... a good time to do something different.

"Don't just stand there, bust a move!"
- Tone Loc

#14 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

If they're ready why would you not want them on the team?

RNH syndrome.

If they are physically ready to handle 82 games of wear and tear more power to them.

Edited by N7Nucks, 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#15 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I want people on the team who give the Canucks the best chance to win. If that meant re-signing Raymond, then so be it. If the team gels and works well with either one or a combination of Shinkarek, Horvat, or Gaunce, then great. If all the youngsters do is hamper the team, then no.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#16 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't want any of our junior-eligible players to make this team. That's not to say I don't want them to do well during the pre-season, I just believe junior development is extremely important for 18 and 19 year-olds. Personally, I would love to see the draft move to 19 year-olds instead of 18 year-olds. So few 18 year-olds make the league and even fewer make a significant impact on their team, especially if their team is a "playoff contender".

As far as Corrado and Jensen are consider I would also like to see them start the year in the minors so that they can play big minutes and adjust to the pro game.

Am I alone here or do others not want our young guns to make this team?

Other than Corrado and Jensen, I agree. Neither Horvat nor Gaunce seem to have that 'swagger' and confidence yet. You need it at a young age to be able to withstand the pressure. Kind of a chip on your shoulder where the pressure is really just your own...so setbacks don't mess you up.

Rushing players is the best way to screw up talent, seen it soo many times in every sport.

Shinkaruk seems to have that chip, and might actually be able to do it...he certainly seems like this step up hasn't been hard for him "so far" but time will tell.

I agree with you. It better to let kids go back to junior, dominate, get bigger physically, work on their games and become better prepared for the NHL than rush them.

Imagine if all 3 made the world juniors, dominated in their respective leagues how much confidence that would give them?

They come back bigger, stronger, faster, with the experience of being through a camp, nerves are gone and now they are ready to at least 'push' for a spot and can focus on the few areas they need to improve on vs. everything...

I agree
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you can't win an argument, correct the grammar instead"
- Internet Troll Handbook Chapter 1 pg 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#17 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

RNH syndrome.

If they are physically ready to handle 82 games of wear and tear more power to them.

ya well said

"Especially if the Kassian's are 6'3'' mountain men with missing teeth and cool tattoos and the Hodgson's are short legged weirdos with politician parents" - Hansen36

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,876 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

RNH syndrome.

In that case it was arguable RNH wasn't ready to play in the NHL. Thankfully, we don't have the need to inject young draft picks into the lineup because we lack the talent in our roster currently. Sure, we'd love to see someone step up and grab the 3rd line center spot, but that could just as easily be Schroeder or Richardson rather than forcing Horvat into it just because he's our first top 10 draft pick since Hodgson.

If they're ready and they outplay anyone else vying for the sale role, more power to them and give them a jersey.

Edited by elvis15, 18 September 2013 - 01:46 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#19 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just like many questions, the answer is:

It depends.

Not a lot of young players can make the quick jump and succeed in the NHL level, but that doesn't mean we should develope all our prospects in one single way and route.

Agreed, but in this case I think we should give our prospects another year in Junior.
Posted Image

#20 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, there has never been any 18 year olds ready for the NHL, we shouldn't trust our team's coaching and management to make the right decisions about our prospects.

very few are every ready physically and mentally and its a great way to destroy a very talented player in both those areas...

failures when used to sucess mess with their heads, limited playing time, errors, not being able to contribute the way he may be used to in junior.

physically, as another post said, Nugent Hopkins is a poster child for putting a kid in with a ton of talent but not there yet physically to handle men with 45 lbs on him and just as fast...

its stupid...unless the kid is top 3 pick/can't miss who was just soo dominant in junior its better to let them develop their games and physical strength.

ie a guy like crosby, malkin, ovy, tavares, etc...

they guys we have - Horvat, Gaunce are not ready to have their confidence hammered and aren't showing the tenacity physically to be able to handle it. If they were knocking guys over sure, yes they are 'big' but are they kid big or man big...they are intimidated physically out there, you can see it.

Shink is not, he has a chip on his shoulder and is hitting more than those two. He is a guy who MAY be able to do it but with him I'd be worried about his size...better for him to go back to junior, dominate, and put on 20lbs then come back next year..

think long term buddy, we have 3 very talented young players no need to rush them.

Look at the Sedins, they weren't ready and were awful their first 2 years, so much so people called them sisters, terrible picks, etc etc

Kesler didn't play here as a rookie, played in US College then the AHL
Burrow ECHL and AHL
Bieksa College and AHL
Edler Sweden and AHL
Schnieder College and AHL

see the pattern bud...there's a reason

#21 In the Slot

In the Slot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

In that case it was arguable RNH wasn't ready to play in the NHL. Thankfully, we don't have the need to inject young draft picks into the lineup because we lack the talent in our roster currently. Sure, we'd love to see someone step up and grab the 3rd line center spot, but that could just as easily be Schroeder or Richardson rather than forcing Horvat into it just because he's our first top 10 draft pick since Hodgson.

If they're ready and they outplay anyone else vying for the sale role, more power to them and give them a jersey.

RNH is/was ready talent wise...physically..no way...and its costing edmonton now and may cause him a career of repetitive injuries...not wise to rush young players.

Edited by In the Slot, 18 September 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#22 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

very few are every ready physically and mentally and its a great way to destroy a very talented player in both those areas...

failures when used to sucess mess with their heads, limited playing time, errors, not being able to contribute the way he may be used to in junior.

physically, as another post said, Nugent Hopkins is a poster child for putting a kid in with a ton of talent but not there yet physically to handle men with 45 lbs on him and just as fast...

its stupid...unless the kid is top 3 pick/can't miss who was just soo dominant in junior its better to let them develop their games and physical strength.

ie a guy like crosby, malkin, ovy, tavares, etc...

they guys we have - Horvat, Gaunce are not ready to have their confidence hammered and aren't showing the tenacity physically to be able to handle it. If they were knocking guys over sure, yes they are 'big' but are they kid big or man big...they are intimidated physically out there, you can see it.

Shink is not, he has a chip on his shoulder and is hitting more than those two. He is a guy who MAY be able to do it but with him I'd be worried about his size...better for him to go back to junior, dominate, and put on 20lbs then come back next year..

think long term buddy, we have 3 very talented young players no need to rush them.

Look at the Sedins, they weren't ready and were awful their first 2 years, so much so people called them sisters, terrible picks, etc etc

Kesler didn't play here as a rookie, played in US College then the AHL
Burrow ECHL and AHL
Bieksa College and AHL
Edler Sweden and AHL
Schnieder College and AHL

see the pattern bud...there's a reason

The Sedins also took another year in MODO.

Your point still stands though and it is entirely correct.

#23 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

IMO Shink looks like he might be ready.

BoHo needs to get faster first, he isnt good enough to warrant more then a 4-5 mins a game right now, but he has the potential.

Gaunce is in a similar position as BoHo, but it is possible that Gaunce may end up just being a depth player for his career, in which case low minutes on the 4th line won't hurt his development too much.

Jensen is ready for a 3rd or 4th line role.

Corrado is looking ready to make the line-up.

Lack looks ready to take the back-up role.

Other players we have not seen in the line-up that will likely have ice time this season in my view are : Richardson, Santorelli, Archibald, and Tommernes.

#24 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

RNH is/was ready talent wise...physically..no way...and its costing edmonton now and may cause him a career of repetitive injuries...not wise to rush young players.

If, they aren't physically ready. I don't mind having a solid two way rookie who can take a beating and not be a liability defensively, but a soft smaller offensively minded rookie should in most cases go back to junior/AHL.

In terms of the Canucks there is no need to rush any of our young guys, despite popular belief we don't have a bad roster. Jensen and Gaunce are probably the only two other then Corrado who I don't/wouldn't mind having in the lineup.

#25 R3aL

R3aL

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Im not worried, if any young prospects make the team they are ready, our staff is evaluating them pretty heavily this offseason, im not concerned

15s7x8x.jpg

Work of Art by: Justdean10

#26 Shredder

Shredder

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

So giving a player NHL experience isn't at all valuable to you ? Especially if the player is ready to take the next step?
Posted Image
Shinkaruk is going to be the next best thing this organization has seen.

Sig made by me, private message to request one, would like credit.

#27 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

So giving a player NHL experience isn't at all valuable to you ? Especially if the player is ready to take the next step?

Ummm.... we are debating 'ready.'

For most, the next step is the AHL and that requires being 20 years of age.

Graduation from junior to the NHL is a rarity not the rule.

#28 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

RNH and Hall have both said that their shoulder injuries are old ones from their junior days.Learning the ropes in the minors is for the risk adverse. The good players will be good in the NHL if given the chance. The junior system in north america is good enough that it should be spitting out NHL ready prospects. If you need more than one season in the AHL, then your chances of making the big club are slim. It doesn't take 5 years to re-learn a game that you have excelled at at every level you have played.

#29 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Obviously if a player is just bursting with talent and absolutely destroys his junior league he should be given a shot. However its been awhile since the 'Nucks have had something like that in the cupboard and I think a lot more players have been ruined being rushed into the NHL (*cough* Columbus *cough*)rather than a player spending his time in the A or junior to hone his abilities.

#30 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Obviously if a player is just bursting with talent and absolutely destroys his junior league he should be given a shot. However its been awhile since the 'Nucks have had something like that in the cupboard and I think a lot more players have been ruined being rushed into the NHL (*cough* Columbus *cough*)rather than a player spending his time in the A or junior to hone his abilities.

The case could be made for 18 year olds being thrown into the NHL and succeeding ie John Tavares/Stamkos although not immediately.

There will always be cases of where it works and where it fails. It all depends on how the coaching staff deploys players. And how the players react when given the opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.