The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anybody else NOT want our "young guns" to make the team?

baumerman77

As others have said, if they are ready then they should play. Trouble is that very few of them look ready. Shinkaruk looks the closest so far but even then, he does not look physically ready. Gaunce is next and while he looks ready physically, he does need work on his acceleration. Horvat also looks like he needs to develop a bit more physically. I would love to see at least one of them get a 9 game stint but I doubt anyone them are ready to stick. If we're throwing Schroeder or Corrado into the mix however, I think they're ready.

The other question is whether there even really are spots for the young guys. Richardson is making a strong case for being the 3rd line center right now. With Booth being cleared to play, that is likely to close the only wing position that was left to fight for (I am assuming we wouldn't keep a prospect and stick them on the fourth line). Schroeder will also push hard for a spot IMO. The only young guys that may make sense centering the fourth line (solely because of natural position and playing style) are Lain, Gaunce and Horvat and of those three, only Lain would make sense since that's the role he seems to have been signed for. Add in the fact that there are a couple of vets (Ferriero and Santorelli) that are pushing to either take a fourth line role or be a role player and there really isn't much room for young guys.

I think the most encouraging thing about the Canucks prospects this year is that we finally have several guys that look to be on a good track for becoming NHL players. That doesn't mean they're ready or that they should be rushed, but it is encouraging. I really don't think having another year in junior would hurt them - getting to play NHL pre-season games ought to show them what it takes and how to improve. Next year won't get any easier however unless the Canucks lose a few current roster players (only Hansen is a UFA which, sadly, might make him trade bait this season). If Booth has a great season but the Canucks do poorly, who knows, maybe he will be an attractive option for some teams. Otherwise there is still a log jam.

I disagree with the common sentiment being expressed here that "if they earn it..." or "if they're good enough..." they should make the team. The pre-season and 9 games of the regular season is too short and too incomplete to evaluate whether or not they can compete at the NHL level throughout an entire year. Too big of a risk for too little of a reward.

Only Skinkaruk, Gaunce, and Horvat are junior-eligible. Corrado will obviously make the team. Jensen will be in Utica.

I would not say that scoring 2 of the 3 goals the Canucks have scored in pre-season is "invisible". Gaunce is not flashy but he plays a very solid two-way game. He could use one more year in junior to work on his acceleration (the "first step") but he could play on the Canucks without hurting the team. But it would be better for him play junior this year.

Corrado is ready e Gould make the team. Jensen should start in ahl and be our first call up. I agree with the op tho, everyone else should e sent back to junior.. Especially horvat and shinkurak. They are too young and need to dominate another year in junior. Not to mention world junior tourney!. Gillis is an idiot for not replacing our third line center when manny's eye got damaged.. Hopefully Richardson/ Schroeder/ santorelli/ lain can take the 3 and 4th line center spot..

Anyone else looking forward to a 4th line of Weise- lain- sesito?? Talk about going beast mode and goon all over the other teams face

It's funny. Gillis states that we are going to give some young players a chance and immediately most of our prospects are penciled into the line-up. I only see a few of our young guys making it.

Corrado will be on the roster. Schroeder may be in. Gaunce may be in. Lain may be in. Archibald may be in.

There are only so many roster spots to be had and we need to make sure those spots go to players who we know can handle the NHL.

Richardson, Santorelli, and even Ferreiro will push for the open spots. These players have a leg up on most of our prospects. The final opening day line-up will be interesting.

Well, the last seven years of not playing young guns didn't get us a cup. Why do the same thing if some are ready to go? New coach, new philosophy, new culture ... a good time to do something different.

"Don't just stand there, bust a move!"

- Tone Loc

Archived