The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anybody else NOT want our "young guns" to make the team?

baumerman77

I disagree with the common sentiment being expressed here that "if they earn it..." or "if they're good enough..." they should make the team. The pre-season and 9 games of the regular season is too short and too incomplete to evaluate whether or not they can compete at the NHL level throughout an entire year. Too big of a risk for too little of a reward.

I think a lot of people forget that Horvat just graduated high school in June. He is yet to go a full year exclusively concentrating on hockey. I don't know enough about him personally, but very few 18 year olds would be mentally mature enough to move to a new city by themselves and compete in the toughest league in their chosen sport.

I too believe in not rushing players along and bringing them along slowly. Having said that there are always exceptions to the rule and if one of our prospects is actually ready to play in the big league and make an impact there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed. Don't know why anyone would actually want them to be unsucessful and get sent down for their "development" when they could be successful and not need extra development.

Don't forget if they make the team right out camp, we still have 9 games where we can still send them down.

The good thing is we have a some depth so we dont need to pull up the 18 year olds who may not be ready just because we need someone to fill a roster spot. Yes playing good minutes in the minors for most the younger guys is better than them playing 5 mins a game in the NHL. That being said, if a player proves hes ready then he's ready, the only way he'll make the step up is if you give him the step. I'd love to see some of our NHL ready youth get some playing time with the Canucks, if Gaunce, Shink, and Horvat don't make the team full time it would help them a great deal to bring them up for a few games here and there. I'm sure they will be due to injuries and what not.

Archived