Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Adrian Dix Steps Down (6 months to late)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-down-1.1859145
B.C. NDP Leader Adrian Dix has announced his resignation as party leader today in Vancouver, following the party's surprising defeat by the Liberals in the May provincial election.[/color]
Dix said he accepted responsibility for the election loss and felt it was in the best interests of the party for a new leader to take over.

“Since our defeat in the election on May 14, I have reflected both on my future as leader of the B.C. NDP and on the future of our party.
"That we fell short on election day is my responsibility as leader," said Dix.

“It has become clear to me that the best interests of our party mean that I need to step aside for a new leader, who can lead us to victory in 2017

Dix said he intends to stay on as the party leader until a new leader is selected sometime in 2014.
----------------------------

The irony about him staying on until 2014 is that because of Christy Clark's grueling work ethic....he probably won't even sit in the house as it won't be in session.

36 days in a calendar year they've worked under Clark....Bravo at an average of $75,000 a year each per MLA

Edited by Warhippy, 18 September 2013 - 05:07 PM.

CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#2 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

They, like the federal Libs recently, need a MAJOR makeover if they ever hope to have power again. Evolve or die.

Edited by J.R., 18 September 2013 - 04:21 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Teebs

Teebs

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Next step should be to replace Moe Sihota as party president. Might as well get rid of all the (90's) skeletons in the closet if they want voters to take them seriously in the next election...

Edited by Teebs, 18 September 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#4 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

They, like the federal Libs recently, need a MAJOR makeover if they ever hope to have power again. Evolve or die.

There is a TON of new young blood in the NDP joining the NDP and clamouring to join the NDP in BC, as well as the Green party here.

I think after Christy won and all we have already seen since the election, Lies, rate increases from Fortis, Terasen and now ICBC, lying about the Penticton Hospital, Lying about twinning an essential highway in the Boundary region and North Okanagan and immediately giving herself and her party large raises that we will see a rather shocking increase in seats for both NDP and Green party members in this province.

Especially after she relents and ok's the pipeline and port here in BC on taxpayer money after appearing tough for just long enough to secure her future and pension

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#5 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

so Adrian Dix decides to resign on his own and the party did not force him out like they did with Carole James

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#6 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Any NDP supporters out there should realize this is a great thing.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#7 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

"Change for the better, one practical step at a time"

Step 1: Realize NDP is going nowhere with Dix at the helm
Step 2: Do everything possible to have Dix lose election
Step 3: Dix must step down

That is change for the better. Finally, an honest campaign slogan!
Posted Image

#8 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

i rejoice at this news, for the NDP will most likely replace Dix with another inept leader for the BCLib 5-peat.

#9 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

i rejoice at this news, for the NDP will most likely replace Dix with another inept leader for the BCLib 5-peat.

Sorry bub, the BC NDP don't have anymore duds, only up and comers. Sadly the Libs will hold on to their old boys club,

I am by the way thrilled you like this BC Liberal/Socred/Alliance/Reform party so much. So much that you enjoy them only working 30+ days in a calendar year on your taxdollar.

Things will change once you're old enough to vote.

#10 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sorry bub, the BC NDP don't have anymore duds, only up and comers. Sadly the Libs will hold on to their old boys club,

I am by the way thrilled you like this BC Liberal/Socred/Alliance/Reform party so much. So much that you enjoy them only working 30+ days in a calendar year on your taxdollar.

Thanks, but I've been voting since the 2009 BC election.

Also,

Posted Image

#11 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, but I've been voting since the 2009 BC election.

Also,

Posted Image

Proves nothing, attitude like yours can only mean you photographed your parents registry card.

Nobody that has any sense or sort of maturity posts nonsense like that.

Still enjoy paying on average $75,000 per MLA on Christy's 36 day a year work schedule? Talk about Inept....

#12 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Proves nothing, attitude like yours can only mean you photographed your parents registry card.

Nobody that has any sense or sort of maturity posts nonsense like that.

Still enjoy paying on average $75,000 per MLA on Christy's 36 day a year work schedule? Talk about Inept....

Then feel free to stay in your zone of hatred and ignorance.

If you wish to speak of poor attitude and nonsense, look no further than your own snide and cynical posts. While you're at it, examine how it feels to be a petty poster who needs to put others down.

Edited by Common sense, 18 September 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#13 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Then feel free to stay in your zone of hatred and ignorance.

If you wish to speak of poor attitude and nonsense, look no further than your own snide and cynical posts. While you're at it, examine how it feels to be a petty poster who needs to put others down.

I am not putting others down, I am stating my opinion and your delicate sensibilities are hurt because they hit home.

You call basically every other form of leadership inept yet never show reasons as to why. You're obviously not old enough to have formulated a solid opinion on previous governance just what the current one tells you. And that in itself is shockingly sad.

If you don't like my responses or my opinion by all means walk away and don't respond.

But while you do, here is some fun things to consider.

HST
34% power increase
36% gas increase
Gas Tax
BC Ferries
Forestry failure
TFW's
Multiple contracts ripped up
Unions stifled
$545 million roof and renovation to BC place (state of the art stadium only costs about $400 million)
$1 billion ish Convention center for Vancouver
BC Rail
Basi Virk
Drunk Driving Premiere
Olympic expenditures
Sell off and privitization of Crown Corporations
ICBC Fees

And the list goes on and on all while sitting less than 4 total months in the legislature over the last 2 years. This is the current "leadership" and party you crow so highly about.

Think on that when all you can really come up with is Fast Ferries and Bingo Gate and then remember that those ferries were sold for less than 10 cents on the dollar and now operate very well for another person and that Glenn Clark was never actually convicted, was absolved of all guilt yet still had the manhood to step down because he was at least true to his word.

Oh that and almost all of the success of this current party is on previous party legislation. Fancy that eh.

Happy trails bud

#14 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,690 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Damn, I was hoping he'd stay on. He's good for the economy. Oh well doesn't matter, the party will continue to be unelectable regardless of who they install next.

a true Brazilian will never give up until things are totally screwed..." -aeromotacanucks

#15 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'm not a Liberal supporter (would never vote for them!), but to say that they're only working 30 or 36 or however many days in the year is misleading and a mischaracterization of the facts. That number is accurate as to how many days they're sitting in the legislature. MLAs work far more than that, though - they have constituency offices and are wrapped up for the rest of the year dealing with issues arising out of their constituency and also government issues that don't require sitting in the legislature, like committees and that sort of thing.

So, to say that MLAs only "work" when they're actually sitting in the legislature reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of a politician. The same goes for Federal MPs - they work a ton, whether or not they're actually sitting in the House.

(source: I know an MLA decently well, and I was also very well acquainted with a Federal MP who was in office for 13 years before retiring before the last election)

#16 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I am not putting others down, I am stating my opinion and your delicate sensibilities are hurt because they hit home.

He's talking about statements like this:

attitude like yours can only mean you photographed your parents registry card.

And this:

You're not actually responding to his argument or presenting an argument of your own, you're just attacking his personal character as a weak defence mechanism (it's called an "ad hominem" attack).

Learn to debate without resorting to name-calling.

#17 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

Unfortunately, your "opinion" also includes some misinformation, with the quote being "Things will change once you're old enough to vote;" when I provided you with said information (ie. the I Voted sticker with a backdrop of my voting card), you shrugged it off.

Can't argue with lunacy, and that's why I'm walking away from any more inane chatter with you in this thread. My time's more valuable this this nonsense.

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,650 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

This is the problem with these political threads. Instead of discussion, it always degenerates into the anti-government faction using it as a platform to air out the same tired complaints about Clark/Harper...

FTR Hippy, the HST was a good thing for BC. Scrapping it was one of the dumbest things the voters of this province has ever done.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#19 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

This is the problem with these political threads. Instead of discussion, it always degenerates into the anti-government faction using it as a platform to air out the same tired complaints about Clark/Harper...

FTR Hippy, the HST was a good thing for BC. Scrapping it was one of the dumbest things the voters of this province has ever done.

I have now, nor have I ever had issue with the HST, it was the flat out lying to us that I hated. Calling it revenue neutral as well I mean come on...if it is revenue neutral why did we have the exact shortfall from the lost monies received? And then to say it would take 18 months to re-instate the pst/gst when it took less than 2 months to bring it in.

I do believe there would be less complaints about all of it, if they were actually doing something while in power to make people believe their interests were being taken care of. Instead we see a lot of finger pointing and name calling, the blame game and the like. It is hard to feel as though your government is representing your best interests when their calling card is [insert previous government parties name here] did it first

The lying about it was for me the worst regardless of how necessary it was though in regards to the HST. I want to know how and where my tax dollars are being spent and believe as a taxpayer and voter that I have that right, as opposed to a proverbial pat on the head and a "there there"

Edited by Warhippy, 19 September 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#20 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm not a Liberal supporter (would never vote for them!), but to say that they're only working 30 or 36 or however many days in the year is misleading and a mischaracterization of the facts. That number is accurate as to how many days they're sitting in the legislature. MLAs work far more than that, though - they have constituency offices and are wrapped up for the rest of the year dealing with issues arising out of their constituency and also government issues that don't require sitting in the legislature, like committees and that sort of thing.

So, to say that MLAs only "work" when they're actually sitting in the legislature reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of a politician. The same goes for Federal MPs - they work a ton, whether or not they're actually sitting in the House.

(source: I know an MLA decently well, and I was also very well acquainted with a Federal MP who was in office for 13 years before retiring before the last election)

Optically, how can you fix the problems of the province when not sitting in the house? Committees and phone calls are all well and good but you cannot solve the issues we have only sitting 36 days in a calendar year

He's talking about statements like this:

[/font][/color]

And this:

[/font][/color]

You're not actually responding to his argument or presenting an argument of your own, you're just attacking his personal character as a weak defence mechanism (it's called an "ad hominem" attack).

Learn to debate without resorting to name-calling.

Debate is easy when there is someone to debate with. There's a long standing history of trolling comments from "common"

One cannot call anything when repeated factual information is put down with derisive one liners. After so long one responds in kind.

You present facts, you get responses like they're terrible always were when said responder was never even out of grade school during previous governance it drives you a little batty. The heart of debate is informative response. I have yet to receive that on multiple accounts from said person.

#21 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have now, nor have I ever had issue with the HST, it was the flat out lying to us that I hated. Calling it revenue neutral as well I mean come on...if it is revenue neutral why did we have the exact shortfall from the lost monies received? And then to say it would take 18 months to re-instate the pst/gst when it took less than 2 months to bring it in.

The lying about it was for me the worst regardless of how necessary it was

Fair point but doesn't our system of governance encourage such lying and propaganda? I don't believe this to be exclusively a provincial Liberal problem whatsoever. As sad as it is deceitful propaganda to convince the average citizen to vote one way is a staple of most democracies.

#22 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Fair point but doesn't our system of governance encourage such lying and propaganda? I don't believe this to be exclusively a provincial Liberal problem whatsoever. As sad as it is deceitful propaganda to convince the average citizen to vote one way is a staple of most democracies.

Indeed. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Also helps to inform and educate yourself so that you can read between all the lines of bull@#$%.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Oh no I am in complete agreement, it is not exclusive to this BC "Liberal" Party (I use the word liberal loosely as it is still mostly comprised of old socred reform and alliance members)

But they're the best example one can make right now in Canada provincially about lying in their platform to win an election.

No HST, 2 months later.
No school closures , Christy "families first Clark" approved the closing of over 500 in 3 years
No sell off of crown corps, ran BC rail into the ground sold it for pennies
Fast Cats are bad can't be fixed, sold to Bahrain business, making millions a year now
No rate increases, Fortis and Terasen approved for 33% and 36% respectively.
Government wage freeze, approved expense and wage increase for MLA's
No ICBC increases, not only increased but now lining their coffers with it
Penticton Hospital approved, now it won't even break ground until 2020 and the $2 million "business plan" is almost $4 million without even being drawn up or awarded to anyone.

These are the issues I am talking about without including the dozens more money wasting flops they've told us or run ahead with. The biggest one of all will be the approval of the pipeline within the next year after being so "opposed" to it

#24 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

I do believe there would be less complaints about all of it, if they were actually doing something while in power to make people believe their interests were being taken care of. Instead we see a lot of finger pointing and name calling, the blame game and the like. It is hard to feel as though your government is representing your best interests when their calling card is [insert previous government parties name here] did it first

The lying about it was for me the worst regardless of how necessary it was though in regards to the HST. I want to know how and where my tax dollars are being spent and believe as a taxpayer and voter that I have that right, as opposed to a proverbial pat on the head and a "there there"

I have to agree with this post on the HST. If they didn't lie about it and were just upfront with the BC taxpayers rather than the lies that revolved around it, I personally would have supported. We are not children who need to be protected from the truth. Even just tell us that they couldn't balance the budget without the HST and that would have been good enough for me.
Posted Image

#25 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Indeed. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Also helps to inform and educate yourself so that you can read between all the lines of bull@#$%.

Don't hate the game, change the game. Stop voting for the same old idiots and expect anything to change.

#26 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Oh and it's good Dix stepped down, I'm not sure what the NDP were thinking electing that guy as leader.

Also, everyone who gets so heated about politics should try to remember that we all want the same things (what is best for this province/country) we just have different ideas about how to accomplish that.

Don't get so emotional over politics (emotion overrules intellect). We get to vote and once that's done it's in the hands of the politicians to follow through with their promises. If they don't I think it's a good thing to call them out on it, regardless of what party they belong to.
Posted Image

#27 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Don't hate the game, change the game. Stop voting for the same old idiots and expect anything to change.

That too.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Unfortunately that generally seems to be the type of people that we can vote for LOL.

It would be nice to have certain conditions that are required to fill certain roles.

It would be nice to have things like the Minister of Transportation needing a degree in civil engineering or the Minister of Finance at least have to have an MBA.

Why don't these positions require the appropriate education, like every other job in the entire world?

I just went on the ministry's website and for the life of me I can't find one Minister with an appropriate degree or education in whatever they are the minister of.

edit: I do realize these people are appointed btw.

Edited by Aladeen, 19 September 2013 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image

#29 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

If Dix was SOOO evil for BC, then I would love someone to explain how the Lies tried to give out big raises to staffers. There were even some staffers who took "leaves of absences" to run in the election. They didn't get elected. Then they got big raises when they went back to work for the Lies, err I mean the Government. Yup, CC has our backs.

#30 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,867 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

If Dix was SOOO evil for BC, then I would love someone to explain how the Lies tried to give out big raises to staffers. There were even some staffers who took "leaves of absences" to run in the election. They didn't get elected. Then they got big raises when they went back to work for the Lies, err I mean the Government. Yup, CC has our backs.

Adrian Dix being a poor choice for the NDP to pick as their leader has nothing to do with how corrupt the Liberals are...

Posted Image

Do you even know why your mad bro?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.