The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adrian Dix Steps Down (6 months to late)

Warhippy

To be honest, most people don't want to hear the truth or can't be bothered with it. It's why we are where we are.

As to your second point, why would we see a reduction in prices AFTER the removal of HST?? :blink:

HST made running a business/selling goods cheaper, hence when we returned to the old, less efficient and more expensive system, prices stayed the same or went up. Why wouldn't they?

To be honest, most people don't want to hear the truth or can't be bothered with it. It's why we are where we are.

As to your second point, why would we see a reduction in prices AFTER the removal of HST?? :blink:

HST made running a business/selling goods cheaper, hence when we returned to the old, less efficient and more expensive system, prices stayed the same or went up. Why wouldn't they?

Good thing am not an NDP supporter.

I will say it one more time proudly. I am now and have been my entire adult life a supporter and card carrying member of the Conservative party. EXCEPT for the past 3 federal and 2 previous provincial elections.

Because our Liberal party here is more Conservative than the Conservatives in BC and our federal Conservative party is more Reform/Tory than Conservative.

Now, I can run my business from home. But it doesn't mean my business will run if I stay here. Our province is plagued by problems, more than I care to mention again. These problems will not and cannot be taken care of by a government who does not meet more than 36 days in a calendar year Ron.

I have gone over this in subsequent posts. Committees are all well and good but when teachers, medical staff paramedics and our police all need new contracts, we have crumbling infrastructure and a failing economics plan that is contingent on commodity prices 10 years from now, our government is not serving us by not meeting in the legislature.

Again, I can run my business from home, but it doesn't mean my business will keep running well if I never go to work.

And as a taxpayer, I do not believe 36 days is enough time to fix the provinces problems, nor worthy of $75k a year plus expenses.

It depends what they are up to. If they come back for the spring sitting with a new water act, a taxation system for the new liquified natural gas industry that is in agreement with all parties and ready to implement, and potentially a bonus revenue sharing system for the oil pipelines, then I will consider it time well spent. If not, well, then I would tend to agree with your statement.

Time will tell.

Such as.....

Healthcare already eats up 50%+ of the provincial budget.

The population is aging. With more people using the healthcare system and less people paying taxes to support it, we will be living in an enviroment of rising taxes and deteriorating services. You may notice it's a constant theme of anger for voters, and it's only going to get worse. Much worse.

Even if we have a radical change in how healthcare is conducted (which no party supports) we will still have rising taxes and deteriorting services.

Even if we up revenues significantly via exports of carbon, we will still have rising taxes and deteriorating services.

It's really about how much we are willing to raise taxes, how much and what services deteriorate, and what politically unpalatable solutions we are ready to embrance to help mitigate (but not solve) that issue.

That's the truth. Go run on a platform of that and see how it goes.

And there in lies the problem, they cannot do this with the amount of time they have sat. Agreements like these takes months to manufacture and they haven't sat for months in...years.

It is actually depressing how little work the BC Libs have done in the past 5 or 6 years.

Here is a link that shocked me first Ron. The NDP has by far the best financial record provincially of any party in Canada by a fair margin.

http://www.progressi...itical-parties/

And now we come to this.

2012 sat 47 days in office

http://www.huffingto..._n_1898095.html

2008 cancelled legislature

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lature-1.719180

2013 cancelled legislature

http://thetyee.ca/Bl...FallingDissent/

2010 and 2011 were cancelled spring and then fall due to raids on the house due to basi virk bc rail and fortis power issues as well as Olympics

And 2009 was an election year.

As you see Ron ....they've not sat a full year since 2006 which as a taxpayer is a slap in the bloody face

IN Penticton we had an environmental scientist holding a doctorate and other various degrees in environmental studies, biology and conservation. he headed the conservancy board here in BC for years and years but lost to the previous mayor of Penticton Dan Ashton.

The NDP candidate was very forward about this exact same thing. He wanted the environmental or resource portfolio because that was his entire lifes work.

I 100% agree with you on this, but instead we have people with no experience even picking up a shovel or saw heading trades and apprentice ships, someone who has never been a cop or lawyer heading the justice portfolio, someone who has never worked in a hospital as the minister of health and now even worse someone who has never worked with money in their life working the economics section.

How hard is it to screen potential candidates before running for various positions in government? I for one think (federally speaking) that Flaherty should never have been legally allowed to be in charge of our money. He left Ontario with a mystery $5 billion debt and major deficit and hasn't balanced a budget nor managed to even start climbing out of the economic hole this country is in. His background was a small claims and personal injury lawyer.

Not the person I want running our nations finances.

So Aladeen, spot on post.

"Lower taxes, better service, and balanced budgets! Vote for me!"

Basically in one form or the other the platform of every party (with slight variations on whether to focus on lower taxes or better services and various amounts of lip service to balanced budgets) in the country. Even alternative parties like the green party.

We're so doomed.

Here's the best example I can give you.

pre HST my storage locker rental price was about $64. with HST $75, after HST the prices didn't go down. The same applies to just about anything that was tax exempt pre HST. People just kept the prices at the HST level and pocketed the excess.

You're one example is very scientific :rolleyes:

These guys have actual data, taking inflation in to account that says by and large prices were higher with PST fell under HST and went up again with PST's return. I think I'll go with their mountains of data over your one storage rental example thanks.

http://www23.statcan...Id=1565&lang=en

That`s just my consumer observation, there are examples like this everywhere no matter what the "experts" say.

Those same experts are the ones that said the that the economic crash couldn't happen, and then tell us there's a housing boom and then in a report on Friday will say there's a housing crash coming.

And again, while some prices were cheaper, I am saying business owners raised their prices. Not that prices in general went up. But that business owners saw 5% slipping through their fingers and raised prices accordingly on items that were previously exempt under PST/GST but were subject to taxation under the HST.

So if enrolling your kid in swimming lessons was tax free under pst/gst but was subject to HST....well they kept the prices up after it went back to pst/gst. Greed and profit rule out always

Experts are what you make of them, I pay attention to my wallet

That`s just my consumer observation, there are examples like this everywhere no matter what the "experts" say.

Those same experts are the ones that said the that the economic crash couldn't happen, and then tell us there's a housing boom and then in a report on Friday will say there's a housing crash coming.

Experts are what you make of them, I pay attention to my wallet

Archived