The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks vs Edmonton - October 18th

Edler's Mind Tricks

Would like to see some of the bubble guys compete a little harder. Something tells me there will be quite a few cuts after this game.

Bottom 6 bubble guys who have proven something so far IMO:

Gaunce

Schroeder

Archibald

Weise

Santorelli

I would send all the rest down now if the final cuts were being made already.

this team would get lit up like a christmas tree with Lack and Eriksson as a tandem nothing against them but they are not starters yet

yes it is preseason hell it's September soon to be October where in both months luongo has always struggled if Luongo actually wanted out he would sit out and not be playing so come back with any conspiracy theory you want about Luongo not wanting to be here

My Thoughts

Kassian- looks alot stronger and faster. He didn't seem to have balance issues which was an issue of his last year. Wasn't very good in the first half of the game but picked up the pace during the second half and made some slick passes.

Sedins- Good on the PK and PP but seemed to make alot of bad passes and killed a few plays in the first half of the game. Improved a bit later on but not by much.

Garrison- played solid, great to see him shoot alot

Bieksa- Casual Kev in his own zone and pretty good in the O Zone.

Horvat- Not bad yet not good and Not ready for the NHL. Reminds me of Hodgson when he played for us in the pre season; too slow to showcase anything

Jensen- Disappointing again, was pretty invisible this game, hopefully he picks it up

Gaunce- Really good positionally, looks slow but played great on the forecheck with DeFazio and Santorelli.

Hansen- Played good as usual, hard working etc... had some chemistry with Hunter

Shinkaruk- played really well, IMO better than last game. Made some Kane like plays including a few beautiful saucer passes

DeFazio- didn't really know what to expect from him but he played okay.

Santorelli- Reminded me of Ebbett from 11-12; which was the Ebbett that played really well for us

Richardson- Worked hard and clearly wanted to prove that the third line spot is his

Stuart- soft, and really had no input on the game

Andersson- solid, but looked gassed at time

Tanev- Got hit hard a few times and made some good passes. His shot has gotten harder

Negrin/Mullen- didn't see enough of them

Let that be a lesson: don't start slow. Everyone has to be ready to play right from the get-go

Very disappointing game from Luongo. Yes it's preseason, yes he is getting used to new pads...but he's been a goalie for a long time now. He is considered elite. That means you keep your team in it till they find their legs. Those were bad goals he gave up there. He is faulted on at least 2/4. There's something to be said for being able to just make a steady save. How many times have we heard the line "goalie X kept his team in it and the team rewarded him once they got going". He is paid to keep the game close even when the team is being outshot.

Luongo still looks awkward on plays from weird angles. He has always been terrible at shots from behind the net and it'll be even worse now that there's more room to players to work from back there.

Loved the games of Garrison, Richardson, Santorreli, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk.

Not a very good game by Jensen. He definitely doesn't look like a veteran of 2 prior training camps.

I like some of the ideas Torts is putting out there. Not enough time to really see how it's working though.

Would like to see some of the bubble guys compete a little harder. Something tells me there will be quite a few cuts after this game.

Bottom 6 bubble guys who have proven something so far IMO:

Gaunce

Schroeder

Archibald

Weise

Santorelli

I would send all the rest down now if the final cuts were being made already.

I would not be surprised if Horvat will be sent back soon. You can see that he will be a pretty solid player, but he needs to go back and dominate the OHL this year. Reminds me of CoHo in his first showing in Vancouver. Gaunce has the edge over him making this team right now given his strong 2way game. Not to mention he has scored 2/3 of our preseason goals...

Archived