The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

Perhaps we should wait till we see more of the season and how the Sedins play under Torts before we make harsh judgements and trade away all our players. I felt regardless of the outcome of the game played last night that the Sedins actually seemed to play better then they did last year. Shrugs. Call me for being crazy and optumistic but I think that if they actually have the right guidance and really want it they might actually surprize some people.

So what you're saying is don't re-sign the Sedins and replace their collective 150+ points this season with?

You're saying don't offer them say....a 3 or 4 year contract worth $5.6 to $6 million each (less money with rising cap) and replace them with....

What you're saying is trade two, count em 2 marquee players in this league for?

Or are you saying let them walk?

See, I am not sure who you're talking to but with our prospects cupboard getting ever more full while still being competitive I think there hasn't been this much excitement in years.

But that's just me. Gotta be easy to replace 2/3rds of a first line for less than $12 million right?

I disagree for the simple reason that those two guys will be able to help mold our prospects. No one on this team knows more about the league, franchise or city than those two. Not too mention they are class guys. If even a little bit of what they have rubs off onto the next generation, I'd consider it a great success. Obviously the price has to be right, though.

I know I'll be subject to a lot of criticism for voicing such an opinion but so be it. Winning the Stanley Cup should be the most important thing to this franchise. If the Sedins have great years it doesn't change anything. The main premise is that we can no longer win the Stanley Cup with this core group of players. I'm not a fan that is satisfied with two rounds of playoff hockey.

I know I'll be subject to a lot of criticism for voicing such an opinion but so be it. Winning the Stanley Cup should be the most important thing to this franchise. If the Sedins have great years it doesn't change anything. The main premise is that we can no longer win the Stanley Cup with this core group of players. I'm not a fan that is satisfied with two rounds of playoff hockey.

Your argument might be sound but I have two questions for you.

Boston, didn't quit on that aging core after a cup win, how'd they do? The Devils didn't make any major changes prior to 2003...and they did what? IN fact Colorado made almost no moves besides Borque in 2000, did they win anything?

Might as well flex the big guns and say how about Detroit through the 90's and the 2000's? How much of a major front line change did they make? That's right none they retired players and reloaded on the fly.

There's NO team in the league right now that can eat the Sedin's cap, letting them walk at seasons end is tantamount to both club and career suicide for Gillis and the Nucks management team.

And honestly, who will replace their guaranteed 150+ points this year and how do you replace 2/3rds of a top line for less than $12 million without giving away all your picks prospects and roster players, remain under the cap and call yourself competitive?

My question to you is if you are going to get rid of the caliber of players in the Sedins because they can't win the Canucks a cup, who are you going to replace them with that will give the team a better chance to win a cup in the next 4 or 5 years?

I believe in free speech. You have had your speech, can we now kick him off the boards.

Sick of negative Canucks fans, who claim they are true nucks fans, but are just trolls in sheeps clothing.

Yea get rid of our best ever statistical players, boy you are a genius. Hey lets get rid of the young guns. I mean what the hell have they ever done for the team. Look at their stats lines. 0 0 0 0 +-0 0 00 Seriously how does THAT benefit the team?

Lets get rid of Torts too! He hasn't won a single game for us.

But that would remove our knee jerk reaction syndrome. And you know how we love to jerk that knee

And whose to say that underneath the right coaching staff we can't win the cup with this core group of guys. I maybe a little crazy and optimistic. I am so sick of this fan base jumping up and down like spoiled children when things don't go the right way. We lost the cup and then instead of working towards change and moving forward we had a coach who was stale and who lost the room. Who didn't guide his players and whose players didn't show up. Now we have a new coach who is firey and who seems to actually wants to coach and yeah they haven't been successful in the pre-season but I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I want to give torts and the Sedins a chance before making up my mind. The Sedins are already taking on new roles then they did before and that alone tells me things will be different this year.

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

The best team on paper doesn't always win the cup.

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

We'll still be good enough to compete for the cup with the twins. Winning requires a team effort.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

If Boston did it, you just contradicted yourself.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

If they develop that well, then it makes for an easy transition.

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

Window is still wide open. New coach is the biggest difference maker.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

Following the Oilers would be the worst thing this team could do.

I don't see any valid reason to believe letting the Sedins walk will benefit this team in any way.

Archived