The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

And whose to say that underneath the right coaching staff we can't win the cup with this core group of guys. I maybe a little crazy and optimistic. I am so sick of this fan base jumping up and down like spoiled children when things don't go the right way. We lost the cup and then instead of working towards change and moving forward we had a coach who was stale and who lost the room. Who didn't guide his players and whose players didn't show up. Now we have a new coach who is firey and who seems to actually wants to coach and yeah they haven't been successful in the pre-season but I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I want to give torts and the Sedins a chance before making up my mind. The Sedins are already taking on new roles then they did before and that alone tells me things will be different this year.

Exactly.

I recall a Penguins team that lost in the SCF finals to Detroit, replaced the coach came back to win after having a mediocre season to follow up that run.

People forget we are barely a shortened season away from our 2nd consecutive Presidents trophy with the same group of guys. Except, we've removed a liability in Lapierre, and gained some promising young guys who can step in, no goalie controversy and have increased depth at all the essential positions with gritty role players who have something to prove.

Might as well trade everyone and a 1st round pick for Aaron Rome

Do I think we're favourites the next say 2 years? No. Do I think we have a shot at the cup? Absolutely.

We just need to have a bit more luck, less injuries and an unexpected contribution from say one of the rookies or a revived Booth to beat the competition. Is all that likely? No. Possible? Yes.

I'm actually looking forward to say 2-3 years from now where guys like Kassian should really be coming in to their own and Shink, Gaunce, Horvat, Jensen etc will likely all be making meaningful contributions for low $$$.

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

So Detroit should of done this long time ago... cause clearly they aren't cup contenders each year or wait they also draft top 10 to compete... Also the Oilers plan of drafting high isn't looking great they have top 6 forwards that are great but their defense sucks and their goaltending also penguins got lucky without drafting Crosby they wouldn't even won the cup

The Sedins are 33, not 40. They still have several years left in them, and their point production has been solid, despite the fact that they haven't replicated their biggest years (Scoring 100+ points isn't exactly easy, even for the young guys)

Some fans are quick to sell their older players down the river. The fact is, there are older guys out there that still dominate (Marty St. Louis, Jumbo and Pat, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, etc) and the Sedins are skilled enough to be in this group.

The problem with the Canucks is exactly the opposite: It's not the Sedins that need to do more, its everyone else. It's the Booths and the Higgins and the Kassians that need to contribute more. Kesler hopefully will be healthy and help complete a top 6 group.

You look at championship teams, everyone contributes and the 4th line guys are just as important as the top scorers. That's what the Canucks need to start doing.

If other Canuck forwards could be nearly as consistent as Henrik and Daniel, they would have another shot at a Cup.

I don't know if it's an age thing, but to me, getting so adamant that we can't win with the Sedins is just emo. We could absolutely win a cup with the Sedins, we could also win without them. To think there is only one formula is pretty blind to reality. I hope they are re-signed to a fair contract based on their play under Torts.

O how ppl are going to miss the sedin era. They still are going to be good for another 3-4 years. With some other pieces coming up I still think we can do it. Our window has not and won't be closed for at least a couple years. Enjoy it while u can because it's going to be a LONG road back to just being able to compete on a nightly basis

If you make the playoffs you always have a chance. The Canucks need the Sedins to make the playoffs. Whether or not the Sedins can perform in the playoffs remains to be seen, but I would rather role the dice with them then to intentionally lose to get draft picks.

Look at how stacked PIT was on paper last year and how far did they get? I would rather see MG try and do his job and build the team where possible while staying competetive.

The moral of the story is:

Losing teams are no fun to watch. The playoffs are a crap shoot. High draft picks do not necessarily win you cups i.e. see FLA, EDM, or WPG (ATL). All have had high picks over the year and havnt won jack squat, muchless made the playoffs consistetly.

Horrible Horrible thread, couldn't even get through the first paragraph without gaging from the stupidity. The Sedins have been our best players for years and have one of the most affordable contracts in the NHL. Even if we go with a youth movement you will need some vets to take the kids under their wing and teach them, who would be better for that job than the very hockey smart Sedins. As for the very tired arguement that the Sedins can't get in done in the playoffs take a look at their playoff scoring stats. Yeah they sucked in the playoffs last year, but what Canuck didn't. Henrik was a point per game in 2012 playoffs playing the majority of the games without Daniel. In the 2011 run Henrik lead the Canucks in scoring and Daniel was second!

The problem with the Canucks is exactly the opposite: It's not the Sedins that need to do more, its everyone else. It's the Booths and the Higgins and the Kassians that need to contribute more. Kesler hopefully will be healthy and help complete a top 6 group.

You look at championship teams, everyone contributes and the 4th line guys are just as important as the top scorers. That's what the Canucks need to start doing.

How do guys like the OP miss this important point?!

Well said.

Re-think your Canucks-fan status if you're suggesting we up 'n' go the same route as the Leafs.

The 'Nucks were just trying to emulate the Wings franchise. Nice role-models. I really like this way of thinkin' too. Stay competitive & build a tradition of success & winning through high-end skill & loyalty & heart. If this is the case...players around the league will be begging to play for you. This organization hoped to create the best environment possible for players to thrive in...by sparing no expense. They wanted to find some career players & to get those loyal players to sign-for-less or a hometown-discount. They hoped to draft well & successfully scout for reclaimation projects & late bloomers. It's important to scout Europeans as well as they scout North Americans.

Unfortunately some things derailed this process...

1. League-wide media campaign to maligne the Canucks after Auger-gate hurt team's rep.

2. Perceived mistreatment of veteran players Malhotra, Mitchell, M. Schneider, Ballard..influenced free-agents.

3. 'Nucks medical staff now perceived as blunderers (Mitchell, Malhotra, Booth, Kesler, Edler, Coho, D-corps)

4. Luongo/Schneider scenario could no longer reap rewards

5. Scouting & player development not as good as Wings' standards.

6. Aquilini's end-run past the Gaglardi owner-ship group...created enemies.

7. Aquilini banked on the league becoming more progressive, but the power-brokers in this league are still antiquated traditionalists.

8. VAN not winning the Cup in 2011 - hurt the team's rep & changed the NHL's path.

I had hoped that the team would hire either the very cerebral & composed John Stevens or the gifted young motivator/ teacher Dallas Eakins. The Tortorella's hiring does NOT make the Canucks a more desireable team to play for in this league. Who wants to go to work & get assaulted with F-bombs & tirades. That's old-school...not 21st century. Coaches & citizens who walk that walk in other leagues or vocations in life...are now considered to be "abusive" bullies or criminals. Most of us would QUIT work-place environments like that.

Players like the Sedins won't appreciate Tortorella's approach for long. Lu is already be-moaning all of the shot-blocking indecision that he & his 'mates have to navigate. I know the players WANT to win...but I hope middle ground is found. Otherwise the Sedins may well retire...or forge new pathways for themselves with the Wings or the Senators...if those progressive teams can afford 'em. Am I wrong for wantin' the NHL to evolve into something more akin to the IIHF?

We had a good thing goin' for awhile...but goin' all retro or old-school AIN'T the answer here - folks!

I disagree for the simple reason that those two guys will be able to help mold our prospects. No one on this team knows more about the league, franchise or city than those two. Not too mention they are class guys. If even a little bit of what they have rubs off onto the next generation, I'd consider it a great success. Obviously the price has to be right, though.

I will expand on this myself. The Sedins were developed and mentored by the best in the business (Linden) I'm sure they can do the same for our young guys. I say keep them and in a few years they can be our 2nd line. The Sedins on a 2nd line should mean a dangerous top 6 in the future ;)

I can see the argument for not re-signing the Sedins if they'd require longer term (say 3+ years) contracts with a dollar value that equates to top line money - and limits the team's ability to put decent dollars toward signing (or extending) others for top 6 roles.

Ideally the Sedins will be around long enough to be properly placed into the support cast, providing secondary scoring and even checking threats any well rounded - and successful - team needs. It's the way of true top players after all - to have the ability and the endurance and the experienced leadership to take on less highlight reel roles in their twilight years. And for the Canucks, better the Sedins than trying to sign UFAs to fill those spots.

But a team wouldn't want to be paying them top line money for those 2nd and 3rd line duties cuz then what's left to be signing the youth that will have emerged/developed by then and so available to take over the offensive leadership?

So, I'd vote 2 year extensions at top line rates, or 3+ years at 2nd line rates.

Ownership is letting us vote on this, right? ;-)

So, I'd vote 2 year extensions at top line rates, or 3+ years at 2nd line rates.

Ownership is letting us vote on this, right? ;-)

Or they could just sign them to a 4-5 year term with declining salary (commensurate with their declining roles) that would make their cap hits quite manageable, particularly with a rising cap/inflation.

$7, $6, $5, $4, $4 = $5.2 cap hit.

Archived