The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

Okay, let's say we get rid of the Sedins. What then?

We rebuild? That will likely take a few years which, by that time, the Sedins will have retired anyway.

We sign more high end players? How many high end players are out there that we can get for reasonable contracts? Pretty much next to none. If we can't sign a high end player for reasonable money (and there's 29 other teams in the NHL vying for these players), then we have to trade for these high-end players which pretty much gets up nowhere since we'll be losing some of our base.

Either way, if we lose the Sedins by letting them walk, we lose the team for five years. It doesn't matter if people like the Sedins or not or if people think their accomplishments are behind them. It's who we have.

Except that those points helps get us in the playoffs. I don't see Edmonton's young guns putting up those types of points and getting their team in the playoffs.

Except the entire point is that we don't get into the playoffs, so we get high draft picks?

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

The only unfortunate truths are:

1) there is no way to guarantee a Stanley Cup victory.

2) the only way to guarantee opportunity is to remain competitive year after year

3) there is no guarantee any draft pick will become an NHL super star.

4) wallowing away at the bottom for 4 to 6 years to get top picks will drive fans away and cost ownership money.

5) there are teams that have wallowed away for 5+ years that still struggle to make the playoffs

There's your unfortunate truths.

You allow the Sedins to walk at the end of this season for nothing and you begin the end. Lou will demand a trade to a more competitive team and others will likely follow suit. Then it will be 5 to 7 years before this team is competitive again. And that's if they draft well.

Simple, where have the Sedins led us in the Playoffs? Ditch them and rebuild!

If the Sedins were Canadian they would be worshipped on CDC. They led the Canucks just as far as the vaunted Linden did.

The Sedins and Luongo get less than half the respect linden and McLean get though and I think that speaks volumes about the "fan base" for the Canucks.

I know where you are coming from - better to fail and go through a cycle (cause we had a high with the 2 president's trophies and the trip to the SCF... and those players, the core, are not performing at quite the same peak) - and a cycle where we get better draft picks and rebuild again completely. It does have some appeal.

However isn't it better to keep your best players - the Sedins - who can still be top-20 players in this league for their next contract? They might do the Selanne thing too and be top-10 players some of the time.

Just because the cap is going up, you can get them for their 6 million or so, and still have tons of space to grow the team. By the end of their coming contract, everyone hopes they will be the 2nd line.

Here is a question: Should the Wings have traded Yzerman in his last few years (when they won a cup with the ageing superstar?) Sure, he wasn't the Yzerman of his youth those last few years, but was a reliable point producer and smart smart smart player. I see a lot of parallels with the Sedins. A lot of people have clouded judgement of them, maybe because they were soft and took time to develop.

They had a slump last year too... and they will have more slumps. But so what? They will also be brilliant, and are great playoff perforers (point per game in the playoffs, and remember HS against LA? You can't say you don't want that player on your team!).

We'd be crazy to let them go, imho.

Oh and another thing: Even if we don't sign them, we will still be middle of the pack and NEVER get that top-5 draft pick. If we ever get a top-5 pick (by poor performance), the sellout streak would end, and the GM would get fired, along with everyone involved in the organization (probably). So think again before supporting the eject buttons ;) all you would do would be to make it even more obvious that we don't have enough top-6 forwards on the team (for crying out loud, they are 2 of the only 4 legitimate top-4 forwards we have!... hope that can change this year...) pffft.. for all we know, the team would be sold and moved to Seattle if we really sucked for a few years - DONT WISH FOR THAT!!!

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

That has to be the shallowest and dumbest thinking I have ever read. I hope you did not stay up all night thinking this one up. If you did, you immediately went back to sleep when you wrote it. Come on man, get your brain in geer and think for a change.

You suggest we let go of two players who score 150+ points a year for what???

There is not a team in the league who would pass on the Sedins, yet you suggest don't sign them or let them walk!!!

My God, please help this poor lost soul. He has certainly lost his way.

I will expand on this myself. The Sedins were developed and mentored by the best in the business (Linden) I'm sure they can do the same for our young guys. I say keep them and in a few years they can be our 2nd line. The Sedins on a 2nd line should mean a dangerous top 6 in the future ;)

Pretty sure that Linden wasn't here when they first came to Vancouver. They were mentored by Näslund, Öhlund, Bertuzzi and Jovanovski. But yeah, those were some classy players too....

Or they could just sign them to a 4-5 year term with declining salary (commensurate with their declining roles) that would make their cap hits quite manageable, particularly with a rising cap/inflation.

$7, $6, $5, $4, $4 = $5.2 cap hit.

So you're proposing that we give them a contract with the same caphit that David Clarkson got?

Pretty sure that Linden wasn't here when they first came to Vancouver. They were mentored by Näslund, Öhlund, Bertuzzi and Jovanovski. But yeah, those were some classy players too....

Sedins started playing in Vancouver in 2001. Linden played until 2008.

The cap will rise dramatically over the next few years, so re-signing the Sedins will not hand-cuff as much as some people are assuming. Hopefully they finish their careers here so we can retire their numbers properly.

The right thing to do is trade them for Lucic Bergeron & Marchand if u wanna CUP, but that's not gonna happen. Can we trade them for some up & coming young guys like them? eg. E.Kane, B.Wheeler, Scheifele, Ladd, J.Huberdeau, J.Benn, Callahan, Stepan, ETC. I would be pursuing that road if possible. If not I guess it's re-sign them & be mediocre for the next 4-5 yrs.

Simple, where have the Sedins led us in the Playoffs? Ditch them and rebuild!

Rather ironic coming from the guy with Naslund as his user name. :lol:

Yup, especially considering the Sedins were a major part of our 2011 playoff run that saw us get to within one win of the Cup. How far did this team get with Naslund?

Or maybe make a case for how it's better for this organization that they are not traded? Good luck.

I don't have to make that case. The people in the know who work for the Canucks and have a special expertise for knowing good players when they see them have decided to sign them instead of letting them walk. That is all the case I need. You are the one that has suggested they be traded, so the ball is in your court to debate why they should be traded. Good luck.

Archived