The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

Exactly this. These smartasses, tell us who we should have signed? Clarkson - LOL! Most people here wanted him for $5+ mill and I can assume this guy was one of them...

Too many panic buttons being hit today :rolleyes: Imagine if some of these guys were in charge of Anaheim post 2007 cup where they missed the playoffs twice and won one playoff series - they probably would have shipped out Getzlaf and Perry....

Too many panic buttons being hit today :rolleyes: Imagine if some of these guys were in charge of Anaheim post 2007 cup where they missed the playoffs twice and won one playoff series - they probably would have shipped out Getzlaf and Perry....

Tell me about it lol...video game GM's, don't see the reality of things. Oh well, maybe they come to realization some day..

It's not the fans responsibility to get the Sedins going. They are grown men being paid $7M a season. If thasituation motivate, what will?

Great post though. I appreciate your angle on the situation.

Oh, for sure. As fans we can't really do anything, it's up to the coaching staff and management, whether that means managing their minutes like coach V did or bringing in new systems and personnel.

I guarantee it's an internal concern though, the organization would have to be blind not to see it. I think their production will turn around, but it might take til next season to get things solidified. They won't be Art Ross, but they're capable of being better.

Exactly this. These smartasses, tell us who we should have signed? Clarkson - LOL! Most people here wanted him for $5+ mill and I can assume this guy was one of them...

Stop making crap up. You build championship teams through the draft, something Gillis touted when he took the job, yet there's exactly one player on our roster that was drafted during his tenure.

Just like how everyone is dying to join the Oilers and Flames right? Oh yea, about that..

You guys are clueless lol. Don't know much, think it's a video game and don't know there's something called GM rep and how stupid hypothetical situations like this not signing the Sedins would massively effect the team down the road with FA's...I'm done here lol, good day.

Good. See ya

Stop making crap up. You build championship teams through the draft, something Gillis touted when he took the job, yet there's exactly one player on our roster that was drafted during his tenure.

I hear you but I count Zack Kassian as well because it was an almost identical lateral move. Cody was 10th and Zack 13th and I think the 2009 draft was slightly deeper so it evens out.

I don't see people complaining about Ovie? He had an awful year a year or 2 back getting paid $9 mill...was he on the decline? How about Iggy, Semin, Giroux, Horton, Legwand etc...you guys are disgraceful. If your butthurt about this then go away and cheer for someone else...I'd love to hear how you'd replace not signing the Sedin's...oh yea, before one you smart asses try to answer that, you can't..

Ovechkin was still relatively young though. I think he was like 26 years old. The Sedins are getting up there in age, you realize that most players' production starts to decline around the early to mid thirties right? The Sedins are reaching that age, they have REAL predictable games/styles of play, and on top of that they are slow skaters. The game is all about young players, and speed these days. Ask yourself are the Sedins either of those things? They have a great resume though right? I don't recall them winning us a cp. Do you think they will magically lead us to one as they continue to age into their declining years?

Its not about spending to the cap limit all the time. The bototm line is that we're not going anywhere with the Sedins here, and their above average play (because they still are above average NHLers) is resulting in us finishing in the middle of the pack. We need a young dynamic franchise player (ala Top 5 pick), and as long as the Sedins are here, we're going to be a 9-11th place team. Welcome to the world of the Calgary Flames of a couple years ago.

Its not about spending to the cap limit all the time. The bototm line is that we're not going anywhere with the Sedins here, and their above average play (because they still are above average NHLers) is resulting in us finishing in the middle of the pack. We need a young dynamic franchise player (ala Top 5 pick), and as long as the Sedins are here, we're going to be a 9-11th place team. Welcome to the world of the Calgary Flames of a couple years ago.

So is it your position that the team moves the Sedins and allows the franchise to dip into a bottom 5 team in order to get a dynamic franchise player?

I think that the strategy is a big gamble because it takes more elements than one young elite player to win the cup as the oilers are finding out.

I see the merits of your suggestion though. The Hawks got Toews and Kane in a similar fashion, but that franchise sucked for a long time. They also were shrewd enough to make some ballsy moves in additon to going deep into the draft to get guys like Shaw, Saad, Bickell etc. Im not sure if Gillis et al are capable of making such moves.

Also will this fanbase tolerate being a bottom dweller, Edmonton Style, for a few years? I doubt it. Gillis will be under tremendous pressure to keep the team competitive. If this was an american market they could probably hide on page 4 of the sports for a while in the midst of a huge downturn. They could be patient and could accumulate picks. This is canada though, and it aint going to happen when the GM's job is on the line. It probably explains why no Canadian team has won the cup since 93...GMs here are under huge pressure to keep the team at least in playoff contention.

Henrik was ripping it up to start the season. Daniel needs to be better, and they are capable of being better. The entire team has struggled this year, numbers don't tell the entire story.

Daniel is on a pace for 59 points this year. The Canucks are clinging to the 8th playoff spot and the team looks almost completely lost. If numbers don't tell the entire story, they certainly tell enough to know that the cart is headed for the ditch. Reinvesting heavily in this core group is a fool's game. Their day in the sun is over.

When Daniel went down a few years back, did Hank fold up and not produce? I rest my case; have the memory of a goldfish.

I rest my case. Troll.

Man you're butthurt; and have no idea on how to use a semi colon

If the Canucks could split them up, Henrik would clearly hold more value. He can play independent of his brother. Daniel is lost without Henrik.

These are facts. You know, those things you ignore. Didn't you say you were done?

They lost to two excellent teams in the first round one of which won the cup.

I know this team is not good enough. I just want to hear some opinions about who Gillis should bring in with the 14 million dollars he frees up by letting the sedins walk.

Some fans think they can just open the door and a couple of elite players will walk in and replace the Sedins. In reality that rarely happens.

I think they should keep these two around to keep the team stabilized while they retool. When I mean stabilized I mean keeping them competitive and passing the torch to a new generation that is acquired through the draft and trades.

How will the Sedins stabilize the team? It seems somewhat perilous and severely redundant to pay two players $7M a year to mentor younger players.

By resigning those two at the rate of $7M over 4 years, Gillis stated that he felt they could still lead this team to a cup. What are their point totals in the last three playoff runs?

Where were they in game 7?

Only Gillis knows (not really), who he can trade for. Gretzky left Edmonton for LA, so anything is possible.

I don't think players will waltz in and replace the Sedins. Players will either be drafted, traded for, or acquired through free agency. At that point, they will create their own legacy. Hopefully one that has more than one dimension to it.

Keeping the twins around for mentoring the kids is going to be helpful in the long run. Look at what having Linden around did for them. We don't want to be the Oilers where we're throwing our kids to the wolves with a locker room cancer for a captain.

Two $7M a year mentors? That's a great use of cap space.

Way to take what I said to the total extreme bud, shows a lot of insight you have there.

And Sedin's on the decline doesn't mean they'll be getting 40 points a year. They'll still be getting 70+ points a year when healthy which is just below ppg and if you ask me, that's solid money especially since they are franchise players and will help others along the way.

Firstly, even Hank isn't on a 70 point pace if he had played all games. The days of them getting 70+ points is likely gone.

And secondly, if they aren't getting points, the Sedins are doing much else.

I don't think players will waltz in and replace the Sedins. Players will either be drafted, traded for, or acquired through free agency. At that point, they will create their own legacy. Hopefully one that has more than one dimension to it.

I think that this is wishful thinking. No Sedins and this becomes a bottom of the barrel team. So who do you trade with all those No trade Clauses in effect?

Also, what elite free agents to you expect to attract to a team that will resemble the current Calgary Flames? teams like Detroit have challenges attracting elite free agents (see Suter and Parise who chose Minnesota over Detroit) and you expect the Canucks to attract elite offensive talent on a team that has little offensive depth?

I know that the Sedins are not the answer at this point, but I think that keeping them during a retool/rebuild is far more beneficial than letting them walk at which point Kesler and Higgins are the extent of your scoring depth.

Two $7M a year mentors? That's a great use of cap space.

As opposed to? Replacing them with two 7M rentals? The money has to go somewhere and the bottom line is we have to build from within - let some prospects mature in order to be successful. Letting the twins walk and replacing them with FA's won't change a thing.

Keeping the twins around for mentoring the kids is going to be helpful in the long run. Look at what having Linden around did for them. We don't want to be the Oilers where we're throwing our kids to the wolves with a locker room cancer for a captain.

If we cant get much for them then I would agree. If we can send them off for a franchise player plus 1st rounder , then I do it.

Archived