The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

I really think the Sedins are the least of our problems. They do what we want them to: score goals. Whether they are regressing or not, they still provide offence. Unless you can find better replacements, there's no point in just letting them walk for nothing. Instead, why don't we find some secondary scoring and some 4th liners?

this seasons trade deadline the sedins will be in HIGH DEMAND and will fetch us an amazing return + draft picks (the hard part is their NTC's, they'll want to go as a package, and not many teams have the 12.2 million in cap space to get them.

While I highly, HIGHLY doubt we'd even contemplate trading the twins at the deadline. It wouldn't cost a team anywhere near $12.2M at the deadline. The Canucks have 18 of 82 games left after the deadline. Or 21.9512% of the season. A team will hence only require that percentage of their salary in space or $2.678m. That's pretty doable with a top 6 injury and a cap dump trade plus whatever space you may have had to begin with.

And for the record, I'm not remotely scared about the future.

Might as well trade everyone and a 1st round pick for Aaron Rome

~dripping sarcasm~ To Dallas..so we can somehow finagle a trade deal for Brad Richards outta New York...because AV wants his "mancrush" back? :picard: I think I'm just going to wait and see how the first three months of the regular season goes before I start :frantic: like an chicken with my head cut off. B) I think I'll just stay relaxed. It's only the preseason and frankly, Lou stinks in September/October only to go lights out brick wall in the rest of the season.

1. Our best game was against Chicago last year, we beat them handily - so yes, we are better on any given night.

2. Sedins were tops in the fitness testing (again) this year and dedicate themselves to their training

3. There is no "I" in Stanley Cup. It's an overall team effort and you're attributing wins to individuals. If a team is healthy, clicking at the same time and the goaltending is great, that's your recipe for a Stanley Cup. Any team is capable if all the pieces fall into place and the Sedins have as good a shot as any others with their team.

They were one game away. They've been in the mix and, while some think it's playoff failure, being in the mix each year is actually a success...it isn't an easy feat to be in contention on a regular basis.

I completely disagree with you.

1. Our best game was against Chicago last year, we beat them handily - so yes, we are better on any given night.

2. Sedins were tops in the fitness testing (again) this year and dedicate themselves to their training

3. There is no "I" in Stanley Cup. It's an overall team effort and you're attributing wins to individuals. If a team is healthy, clicking at the same time and the goaltending is great, that's your recipe for a Stanley Cup. Any team is capable if all the pieces fall into place and the Sedins have as good a shot as any others with their team.

They were one game away. They've been in the mix and, while some think it's playoff failure, being in the mix each year is actually a success...it isn't an easy feat to be in contention on a regular basis.

I completely AGREE with you Deb.

Sedins-Kass

Booth-Kes-Burr

Hansen-Schray/Gaunce/Rich?/-Higgy...

Daniel-Kes-Kass

Hansen-Hank-Burr

Higgy-one of the three-Booth

The second lineup would prob spread the resources more, especially defensively. PP's, sure you can keep twins together. Perhaps third periods, go back to top 3 lines, when opposing D are too tired for Sedinery-cycling. PLEASE(fer love of GAWD) get creative(with reasoning/planning) this year!

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

The most sensible post in a long while. I totally agree.

i agree on the fact these guys have been on a bit of a slight slide .. and havent really shown in the last 2 years they have what it takes to lead a playoff team... these guys have feasted on bottom dweller teams for a lot of their points over the passed few seasons .... we need guys who can raise their game in the playoffs . i love them and i would love to have them back for more years help develope our young talent and for us to be competitive going forward we need them to take a big pay cut.... but this is where i get scared...all swedes seem to be great guys in the NHL and alot of guys the sedins have looked up too their careers (sundin, alfie, lidstrom) all great swedes all have taken little to no pay cut at the end of their careers....

1 that game you speak of was after chi locked up a playoff spot and gave their top guys very limited minutes

2 being a workout warrior doesn't mean squat , im sure they would beat Lucic at almost everything in the gym besides bench press but lucic has proven to be far more effective player when it counts then the sedins.

3 it is easy to be in the playoffs on a regular basis when all you have to do is win the worst division in the west and you play the majority of your games vs non-playoff teams as the canucks have done the last 4 years. the last 2 years they have been in the way in the playoffs not in the mix.

1 that game you speak of was after chi locked up a playoff spot and gave their top guys very limited minutes

2 being a workout warrior doesn't mean squat , im sure they would beat Lucic at almost everything in the gym besides bench press but lucic has proven to be far more effective player when it counts then the sedins.

3 it is easy to be in the playoffs on a regular basis when all you have to do is win the worst division in the west and you play the majority of your games vs non-playoff teams as the canucks have done the last 4 years. the last 2 years they have been in the way in the playoffs not in the mix.

Milan 84gp, 22g, 32a, 54pts 0.64pts/game

Henrik 99gp, 22g, 52a, 74pts 0.75pts/game

Daniel 96gp, 23g, 44a, 67pts 0.70pts/game

Numbers say hello. You wear hyperbole from CDC like a hat.

Archived