259 replies to this topic

#61 mrhopeless

mrhopeless

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

"Kass' play was stupid and reckless. Get control of your stick. That said, not deserving of a suspension, just a fine."
- I agree; but what it's deserving of is a trip to the minors. I don't know how anyone can watch this guy and think he's a first line NHL player. In this play he shows a complete disregard for the opposing player. He shows us that, at best, he's an undisciplined goof.

#62 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Cause the referees are a trustworthy source? Look, regardless, i'm saying that it looked like an elbow to me. That's all i'm saying.

LOL Fair enough!

I don't think it looks anything like an elbow hit as his elbow was clearly at his side until after the hit. That's all I'm saying.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#63 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

LOL Fair enough!

I don't think it looks anything like an elbow hit as his elbow was clearly at his side until after the hit. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough.

#64 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie43s
BTW, Weise's hearing is via telephone, NHL has requested in person hearing for Kassian.

Edited by Kesheniel, 22 September 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#65 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Cooke on Karlsson was just as reckless but far more devastating. But Kassian is a Canuck, so... Rest of preseason and 2 reg. season games? Sounds about right.

Weise will get around the same. Afterall, we're darn dirty Canucks.
Posted Image

#66 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Confirming what VAN media reported already, disciplinary hearings tomorrow for Canucks Dale Weise and Zack Kassian.

Deserved or not, they're both most likely going to get one.

I don't think it was deliberate, but I could see Kass getting a suspension as the rule doesn't say anything about intent, only that they have to be in control of their stick at all times. He wasn't and it wasn't a shot follow through. But, if they want to suspend him for an accidental high stick they need to make sure everyone who accidentally high sticks another player in the future gets one too. I'm sick a "rules" that only apply to teams and players they don't care about.

Still can't see Weise deserving anything though.

Edited by poetica, 22 September 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#67 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,216 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie43s
BTW, Weise's hearing is via telephone, NHL has requested in person hearing for Kassian.

What a joke. The high stick was careless yes, but purely accidental.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#68 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Nice finish by Kassian. Nothing more than finishing a hit, good job Kass. That em guy just needs to keep his pointed head up. Just :picard:

Since when is swinging your stick around behind you at face level considered nothing more than finishing a hit!?C'mon people! Take off your bias goggles! Kassian just following through on a hit? I'm a big fan of his but there was no need to swing his stick like that, it was careless and he could have avoided doing it no doubt about it, especially a check he missed by a mile. He should be punished in some way for sure. It was reckless, careless and dangerous, Surely he didn't mean to break a jaw, but it could have been avoided by not swinging his stick around behind him like that. These guys are pros, they have far more control of their sticks than what Kassian showed on that play, he wasn't digging for a puck or following through on a shot. Straight careless, nothing more.

There was no elbow in Weises hit. He might squeak away with it.

Weise may have or have not used his elbow, fact of the matter is that the main point of contact was Hall's head, and Hall was in a vulnerable position, even though from Weises angle and the timing of the hit, it was probably hard to determine that, but rules are rules and they are there to protect the players. It would be surprising if he gets away with it after being reviewed.

*Sorry for incorrectly spelling Weise the first time, and in the process offending those Canuck fans whos fandom is obviously far superior to mine. I will forever be in your trolling debt CookieCrumbs

Edited by WeDreamOfStanley, 22 September 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#69 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Okay buddy, keep on with whatever you believe lol. I don't know anyone who would spend that much money and be an 'oilers fan'
It's just so disgustingly hypocritical that weise did lead with his shoulder towards the head, yet you continue to say it was clean. Hall is not a 'weasel.' He's going to be the best left winger in the NHL soon, or at least a top three one. Weise is for sure a good tough guy, and I really like weise as a player. I think he's a good grit guy for our team. Just continue on with your accusations though, because it's going to help you make yourself feel better for attacking me and speaking for me.

NEVER EVER talk back to Steve Bennett like that
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#70 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

If Kassian gets suspended it'll be for the outcome, not the actual high stick, which is unfortunate.

Weise's could probably be suspension worthy. It looks like intent to injure.

Kassian's high stick was reckless and stupid. And even though it looks "accidental" Kassian has a mean streak and makes me wonder to what extent the high stick was sort of "intentional - unintentional" -- meaning he was unhappy he missed the check and was just sort of deliberately careless with stick. Either was, this play, where a player swings his stick wildely while turning around, is a dangerous play that has no place in the game. I think it should be suspendable, although I admit that players usually get away with it.

Weise was trying to make a solid hit and would have needed to let up to avoid the head shot. He might get a game, but his hit is, to me. less of a problem than Kassian's.

#71 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Just a reminder: Duncan "Repeat Offender" Keith got a 1-game suspension during the 2013 Western Conference Final for a high stick that according to Shanahan was "not an accidental high-stick, nor is it a defensive high-stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high-stick to an opponent that causes an injury." Shanahan went on to say, "Although Keith asserts that he did not intend to hit Carter in the face or hit him with such force, he does admit to intentionally swinging his stick at Carter as Carter is skating away from him." [source]

Even with the inflation of the playoffs, if that deserved only 1 game, Kass doesn't deserve more than 1 or 2.

EDIT to add: Seoguchi cross checked Quincey in the face, causing a cut that required 20 stitches to close, and received only a fine, no suspension. [source] If the NHL is going to punish any high sticking, accidental or not, that results in injury then they need to do it consistently.

Edited by poetica, 22 September 2013 - 04:09 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#72 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Kassian should get 1 or 2 for making a careless play, while weise should get 3 imo.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#73 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Both plays are worthy of suspension. Weise should get 2 games because there was no injury. Kassian should get 3 games, no intent but a serious injury, which the NHL does factor into their decisions. Careless use of the stick there and Weise taking a run at the kid is just ugly.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#74 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

It appears Weise is getting a call and Kassian is getting called on to the carpet.

Not sure They don't deserve at least a minor fine but seriously.

Can we now ask why Nolan got nothing, Halls 2 kneeing incidents were shrugged off and seriously DOZENS of other incidents get nothing but we get almost guaranteed suspensions.

This will make Kassian even more hesitant to use the body in the future
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#75 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Both hits are punishable. Kass is going to get a game. Weise is going to get 2.

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#76 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Only ignorant people can't clearly see that Weise was leading w/ his elbow.

If they couldn't have seen it fast paced, they still won't see it here and will continue to defend their egos.

You may argue and claim evidence to the contrary, but the simple fact is that a troll is, by definition, one who trolls.

You can dial back the trollage, or proceed to confirm your identity.

Regardless of which team(s) you claim to support, individually and by clan, the choice, as always, remains yours.

Edited by guesswhere, 22 September 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#77 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

It appears Weise is getting a call and Kassian is getting called on to the carpet.

Not sure They don't deserve at least a minor fine but seriously.

Can we now ask why Nolan got nothing, Halls 2 kneeing incidents were shrugged off and seriously DOZENS of other incidents get nothing but we get almost guaranteed suspensions.

This will make Kassian even more hesitant to use the body in the future

Maybe if he is stupid it will make him more hesitant to use the body. But if he is intelligent, It will make him keep tabs on his stick instead of flinging it around and breaking someones jaw (and knocking out some teeth, i'm pretty sure), when he misses a hit. Intentional or not, that is unacceptable.

#78 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Maybe if he is stupid it will make him more hesitant to use the body. But if he is intelligent, It will make him keep tabs on his stick instead of flinging it around and breaking someones jaw (and knocking out some teeth, i'm pretty sure), when he misses a hit. Intentional or not, that is unacceptable.

Nobody is saying it isn't a bad thing....

But I am referring to the brutal hit in juniors that made Kassian basically change his entire game. The hit that he laid on someone that turned him from savage wrecking ball to big body with a stick and skates.

He cannot redefine his game anymore. We want the Kassian from juniors. not a big soft teddy bear.
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#79 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Just a reminder: Duncan "Repeat Offender" Keith got a 1-game suspension during the 2013 Western Conference Final for a high stick that according to Shanahan was "not an accidental high-stick, nor is it a defensive high-stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high-stick to an opponent that causes an injury." Shanahan went on to say, "Although Keith asserts that he did not intend to hit Carter in the face or hit him with such force, he does admit to intentionally swinging his stick at Carter as Carter is skating away from him." [source]

Even with the inflation of the playoffs, if that deserved only 1 game, Kass doesn't deserve more than 1 or 2.

EDIT to add: Seoguchi cross checked Quincey in the face, causing a cut that required 20 stitches to close, and received only a fine, no suspension. [source] If the NHL is going to punish any high sticking, accidental or not, that results in injury then they need to do it consistently.

Whew!

(Wipes tears of laughter from eyes.)

Thought you were serious there... until I saw the word in italics. You really had me going there. ;)

#80 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Seems to be a trend of Taylor Hall getting hit on the head.... maybe it's just him that's the problem....

#81 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

League has turned into not only semi contact but every play is suspendable.nice.

#82 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Nobody is saying it isn't a bad thing....

But I am referring to the brutal hit in juniors that made Kassian basically change his entire game. The hit that he laid on someone that turned him from savage wrecking ball to big body with a stick and skates.

He cannot redefine his game anymore. We want the Kassian from juniors. not a big soft teddy bear.

I agree that we need him to be a Bert or Lucic type player for us, I disagree with your assessment that he will stop laying the body because of this accident though.

#83 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't think Kassian's hit was intentional at all. Unfortunately he got a bit careless with his still. Players have to be responsible so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kassian get 1 preseason game.

BTW, on a thread that is about 2 Canucks having disciplinary hearings why do people bring up Duncan Keith's hit 2 seasons ago? It's totally unrelated and it may be time to move on. :)

#84 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

The screens posted make it look like an elbow to me, and the replays live looked like one too. The CBC cast all agreed on it right when it happened, and I agree with them, it looks like an elbow to the head. now i'll admit, the view point is pretty terrible, but still, looks like an elbow to me.

If you have time could you take one of the pictures open it in Paint and circle where you think his Elbow is in the Picture because unless i am blind his arm looks tucked tight to his body until after the hit.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#85 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Suspend Weise. Who really cares? But if Kassian gets supplementary discipline for Gagne bitching out of a hit then that would shameful,

aXmDa9t.gif

#86 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Also i think the Weise hit (missed hit) turned out better for Hall then if he made full shoulder to shoulder contact that he was aiming for .. i see it playing out with being one of those hits with hall leaving the game and missing several if full contact was made.
from the looks of it his visor tool most of the hit surprised him more then hurt him.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#87 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Suspend Weise. Who really cares? But if Kassian gets supplementary discipline for Gagne bitching out of a hit then that would shameful,

A high stick that fractured his jaw*

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#88 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

NHL like to punish for injuries, plus we always get it worse than anyone else. Will be shocked if Kass doesn't get a couple games, Weise barely touched him..

#89 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,335 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

In person?

You've got to be kidding me.

If he gets 5+ that's a joke.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#90 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

This got nothing lol,

https://www.youtube....e&v=N4F9ns4JXl4

Edited by Lemons, 22 September 2013 - 05:41 PM.

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.