The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Reviewing Weise's Hit / Kassian's High Stick

Drouin

"Kass' play was stupid and reckless. Get control of your stick. That said, not deserving of a suspension, just a fine."

- I agree; but what it's deserving of is a trip to the minors. I don't know how anyone can watch this guy and think he's a first line NHL player. In this play he shows a complete disregard for the opposing player. He shows us that, at best, he's an undisciplined goof.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Confirming what VAN media reported already, disciplinary hearings tomorrow for Canucks Dale Weise and Zack Kassian.

Deserved or not, they're both most likely going to get one.

I don't think it was deliberate, but I could see Kass getting a suspension as the rule doesn't say anything about intent, only that they have to be in control of their stick at all times. He wasn't and it wasn't a shot follow through. But, if they want to suspend him for an accidental high stick they need to make sure everyone who accidentally high sticks another player in the future gets one too. I'm sick a "rules" that only apply to teams and players they don't care about.

Still can't see Weise deserving anything though.

Okay buddy, keep on with whatever you believe lol. I don't know anyone who would spend that much money and be an 'oilers fan'

It's just so disgustingly hypocritical that weise did lead with his shoulder towards the head, yet you continue to say it was clean. Hall is not a 'weasel.' He's going to be the best left winger in the NHL soon, or at least a top three one. Weise is for sure a good tough guy, and I really like weise as a player. I think he's a good grit guy for our team. Just continue on with your accusations though, because it's going to help you make yourself feel better for attacking me and speaking for me.

Just a reminder: Duncan "Repeat Offender" Keith got a 1-game suspension during the 2013 Western Conference Final for a high stick that according to Shanahan was "not an accidental high-stick, nor is it a defensive high-stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high-stick to an opponent that causes an injury." Shanahan went on to say, "Although Keith asserts that he did not intend to hit Carter in the face or hit him with such force, he does admit to intentionally swinging his stick at Carter as Carter is skating away from him." [source]

Even with the inflation of the playoffs, if that deserved only 1 game, Kass doesn't deserve more than 1 or 2.

EDIT to add: Seoguchi cross checked Quincey in the face, causing a cut that required 20 stitches to close, and received only a fine, no suspension. [source] If the NHL is going to punish any high sticking, accidental or not, that results in injury then they need to do it consistently.

Both plays are worthy of suspension. Weise should get 2 games because there was no injury. Kassian should get 3 games, no intent but a serious injury, which the NHL does factor into their decisions. Careless use of the stick there and Weise taking a run at the kid is just ugly.

It appears Weise is getting a call and Kassian is getting called on to the carpet.

Not sure They don't deserve at least a minor fine but seriously.

Can we now ask why Nolan got nothing, Halls 2 kneeing incidents were shrugged off and seriously DOZENS of other incidents get nothing but we get almost guaranteed suspensions.

This will make Kassian even more hesitant to use the body in the future

It appears Weise is getting a call and Kassian is getting called on to the carpet.

Not sure They don't deserve at least a minor fine but seriously.

Can we now ask why Nolan got nothing, Halls 2 kneeing incidents were shrugged off and seriously DOZENS of other incidents get nothing but we get almost guaranteed suspensions.

This will make Kassian even more hesitant to use the body in the future

Maybe if he is stupid it will make him more hesitant to use the body. But if he is intelligent, It will make him keep tabs on his stick instead of flinging it around and breaking someones jaw (and knocking out some teeth, i'm pretty sure), when he misses a hit. Intentional or not, that is unacceptable.

Just a reminder: Duncan "Repeat Offender" Keith got a 1-game suspension during the 2013 Western Conference Final for a high stick that according to Shanahan was "not an accidental high-stick, nor is it a defensive high-stick to an opponent. This is a retaliatory high-stick to an opponent that causes an injury." Shanahan went on to say, "Although Keith asserts that he did not intend to hit Carter in the face or hit him with such force, he does admit to intentionally swinging his stick at Carter as Carter is skating away from him." [source]

Even with the inflation of the playoffs, if that deserved only 1 game, Kass doesn't deserve more than 1 or 2.

EDIT to add: Seoguchi cross checked Quincey in the face, causing a cut that required 20 stitches to close, and received only a fine, no suspension. [source] If the NHL is going to punish any high sticking, accidental or not, that results in injury then they need to do it consistently.

Archived