The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli, 3rd line center option? [also horvat]

Tom Sestito

Santorelli is a lock to make the team. Torts was totally impressed by his conditioning from the start. His on-ice play is very consistant...& spirited. I don't think he'll be pigeon-holed here - either. I see Santorelli bouncing around the 'Nuck's line-up...much like Higgins was able to do under AV. His versatility & well-rounded game is just another reason why his stock has risen.

But Richardson will be 3rd line centre....Santorelli the driving force of the 4th line (an up-grade on Lappy), plugging-in spots for the injured as needed.

Opening day lineup:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Kesler Higgins/Booth

Booth/Higgins Richardson Gaunce/Weise/Sestito

Shinkaruk Horvat Santorelli

Hamhuis Corrado/Weber

Garrison Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Shinkaruk deserves to start the season with the Canucks. He seems to have chemistry going with Horvat. Higgins seem to spark whatever line he is in

Have to be impressed with Santorelli - glad we signed him - he was buried beneath a mountain of premier prospect in Florida, and is playing like a guy who is making the most of his opportunity here.

I'd much prefer a guy like him in the bottom six over a couple of our fourth line re-signs who have looked downright waivable thus far.

I imagine GMMG and Torts are making a list (and checking it twice) of players they believe will no longer fit on the "new" Canucks. My "trade-eligible" list would include Schroeder now that Santorelli (3C) and Richardson (4C or spare centre for faceoffs) have shown that they can handle any spot Schroeder might have been trying to fill. All the young guys (Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce) are going back to captain their junior teams, leading them to the Mem Cup, and hopefully winning it as well as MVP awards. Jensen will have to prove himself in the AHL. For the youth infusion for this year, we will need to be content with Corrado and Lack.

I imagine GMMG and Torts are making a list (and checking it twice) of players they believe will no longer fit on the "new" Canucks. My "trade-eligible" list would include Schroeder now that Santorelli (3C) and Richardson (4C or spare centre for faceoffs) have shown that they can handle any spot Schroeder might have been trying to fill. All the young guys (Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce) are going back to captain their junior teams, leading them to the Mem Cup, and hopefully winning it as well as MVP awards. Jensen will have to prove himself in the AHL. For the youth infusion for this year, we will need to be content with Corrado and Lack.

Opening day lineup:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Kesler Higgins/Booth

Booth/Higgins Richardson Gaunce/Weise/Sestito

Shinkaruk Horvat Santorelli

Hamhuis Corrado/Weber

Garrison Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Shinkaruk deserves to start the season with the Canucks. He seems to have chemistry going with Horvat. Higgins seem to spark whatever line he is in

yes to Santo as a 3rd line center...hes earned it....def better than Andrew Ebbett....

I would send all the kids back to junior so they can kill it , recall Kellan Lain, and go with this lineup for Game 6 and on...

this is a pretty nasty roster imo.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Lain

yes to Santo as a 3rd line center...hes earned it....def better than Andrew Ebbett....

I would send all the kids back to junior so they can kill it , recall Kellan Lain, and go with this lineup for Game 6 and on...

this is a pretty nasty roster imo.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Lain

Gaunce>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sestito

Richardson would benefit from learning a thing or two about simple defensive plays and face-off skills from Gaunce. Yeah I know right. The rookie teaching an established NHL plug.

Slot anyone on the right wing but hopefully someone big who is sound defensively. Now your 4th line can crash bang the net and score while maintaining defensive responsibility and puck possession.

It's more likely Gaunce goes back down than he plays limited minutes on the 4th line, unless that's the narrow path of development the Canucks have planned for him. The alternative may be a regular season tryout extension for many of these rookies and new acquisitions.

The bottom 2 lines and bottom 2 D pairings are not set in stone, and there are more options than most people think. Our draft picks were purposefully guys chosen to be NHL ready and help now. Gillis and company recognize this and along with hiringTorts it was all part of the plan. Corey was being traded for Bo Horvat, not the 10th round selection.

Archived