The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013-14 Prospect Points Tracker

Wow Ben Hutton is quietly having the best season out of our prospects. In 11 games he has already scored 6 goals (4 in 34 last year) and holds the team lead. He has a 6'3 200lb frame to boot. He is outscoring Devin Shore, a late 2nd round pick from the same draft (6'1 185lbs).

i've been singing his praises since last year when i caught a couple of his games on TV. people need to start taking notice, because when he graduates he's going to take everyone by surprise. not only does he put up the points, but he looks great on the ice. Big, fast, smart player.

Also, he scored a 3 on 5 shorthanded goal earlier this season...

I've seen a bunch of people praising his game in the O-zone, but how's his defensive game? I hear he's a forward who's been converted to a D, hopefully he has the defensive awareness.

I have yet to see him make a bad play in the defensive end in the 4-5 games I've seen on TV. honestly i am surprised at how strong his game is every time I see him play. some nights he's like a man among boys, other nights he's just the best player on the ice, every night he's just great. Then again, it's only been 4-5 games, but he's performed well in every one. i've seen him make some amazing breakout passes, calm d-zone plays, and just smart pinches/non-pinches with good positioning all around. usually when i get to watch our ncaa prospects on TV, they don't stand out too much and I have to look for them, but with hutton, it's like the play always flows through him.

I have yet to see him make a bad play in the defensive end in the 4-5 games I've seen on TV. honestly i am surprised at how strong his game is every time I see him play. some nights he's like a man among boys, other nights he's just the best player on the ice, every night he's just great. Then again, it's only been 4-5 games, but he's performed well in every one. i've seen him make some amazing breakout passes, calm d-zone plays, and just smart pinches/non-pinches with good positioning all around. usually when i get to watch our ncaa prospects on TV, they don't stand out too much and I have to look for them, but with hutton, it's like the play always flows through him.

Great to hear. How physical is he?

I don't remember a ton of physical play from him in the Young Stars tourney, but av is right in that when he was on the ice the play seems to flow through him. He's impressed in that as well as the summer prospect camp so look for more of that as he continues to develop. He could be a big time sleeper.

Great to hear. How physical is he?

honestly I don't remember any big hits out of him, but it's the NCAA, big hits are more the exception than the rule. he's strong along the boards, but I can't tell if he'll be a Tanev or an Archibald when it comes to hitting.

Wow Ben Hutton is quietly having the best season out of our prospects. In 11 games he has already scored 6 goals (4 in 34 last year) and holds the team lead. He has a 6'3 200lb frame to boot. He is outscoring Devin Shore, a late 2nd round pick from the same draft (6'1 185lbs).

While Shore has recently passed Hutton for the team lead in points, it's still been an intriguing comparison this season, and one that puts Hutton's success on that Maine team into perspective.

I was pretty much gobsmacked when I first saw that a sophomore defenseman was leading the Black Bears in points, goals, PP goals, GWGs, and shots on goal. Even with Shore taking the lead away from Hutton in a couple of those categories, it's still remarkable that Hutton's either 1st or 2nd on his team in each of those categories (and where Shore is ahead, it's generally by only one).

Hutton's stats line, even after losing the lead in a couple categories, is still eye-widening (ranking on team in parentheses):

13GP, 6G (tied-1st), 5A (4th), 11 points (2nd), 3 PPG (1st), 2 GWG (1st), 41 shots (2nd)

The comparison to Shore is interesting given, as noted in the quote post, that they are from the same draft class and are in the same year at Maine. Of course, it's also a comparison between a forward (centre) and a defenseman and between a 2nd round pick and a 5th rounder. If Hutton can keep this up, Hockey's Future might want to re-think their 6.0 C rating on Hutton (as compared to Shore's 7.0 C).

Similarly, HF may need to re-think their team ranking for the Canucks, if things keep going like this. Prior to the recent influx of blue-chip talent at the top (Horvat, Shinkaruk, etc), the Canucks needed to hope that a couple of their lesser knowns would make an impact. Now, the future looks brighter, especially if the "can't miss" guys don't miss and we keep getting positive signs from the lesser know "projects" and risk/reward prospects (and maybe even a reclamation or two from guys who looked to be finished in this system).

Lots of positive things happening, up and down the prospects chart. Can't wait for these kids to start making an impact in the pro ranks!

HF's ranking are a huge joke anyway, I wouldn't use them if my life depended on it.

Agreed. Speaking of which, do you have any input on my rankings for Dobber Prospects? Bear in mind they are fantasy-hockey based, so offensive upside (as well as hits/PIMs to a lesser extent) and readiness is paramount. http://prospects.dobbersports.com/index.php/teams-west/vancouver-canucks

I'm removing Schroeder off the list as soon as he gets back from injury and stays with the team.

So I guess we lost Sawyer Hannay. He's playing in the ECHL for the Evansville Icemen. I don't recall the Canucks releasing him.

as far as i remember, he never received a contract from the canucks and went to free agency as a result.

Man, Cassels with a beast comeback after injury, 6 assists in 2 games? He's money.

Also, I think you should consider including Pathrik Westerholm (Vesterholm sometimes) into the European prospects tab. He's currently leading the Allsvenkan (Sweden's AHL) in scoring with 34 points (18G 16A) in 27 games. He's of the 2011 draft year that has seen gems in Jensen, Corrado, Grenier, Tommernes and now Westerholm. Went unnoticed to me as well

Man, Cassels with a beast comeback after injury, 6 assists in 2 games? He's money.

Also, I think you should consider including Pathrik Westerholm (Vesterholm sometimes) into the European prospects tab. He's currently leading the Allsvenkan (Sweden's AHL) in scoring with 34 points (18G 16A) in 27 games. He's of the 2011 draft year that has seen gems in Jensen, Corrado, Grenier, Tommernes and now Westerholm. Went unnoticed to me as well

Lets also sign his twin Ponthus!

he's not our property anymore, since he wasn't signed by us, but i'd love to see us give him a contract to Utica (and to his brother if necessary), he's clearly having a breakout season.

Agreed. Speaking of which, do you have any input on my rankings for Dobber Prospects? Bear in mind they are fantasy-hockey based, so offensive upside (as well as hits/PIMs to a lesser extent) and readiness is paramount. http://prospects.dob...ncouver-canucks

I'm removing Schroeder off the list as soon as he gets back from injury and stays with the team.

you have LaBate listed as LeBate.... and I don't really do fantasy hockey, so I couldn't comment on a fantasy based ranking, but that's not how I'd rank our prospects in terms of current performance/future likelihood to make the NHL, but opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one, and they all stink. :bigblush:

Archived