The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stepan still holding out, Sather not impressed

Migz

Via NHL.com ...

Rangers GM Sather hoping for Stepan deal

Monday, 09.23.2013 / 11:09 PM

By Brian Compton - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor / Training Camp 2013 blog

New York Rangers general manager Glen Sather appears to be growing impatient with center Derek Stepan.

The restricted free agent has yet to sign a contract with the club and has held out of training camp. Stepan, 23, led the Rangers with 44 points (18 goals, 26 assists) in 48 games last season.

"I don't think Derek is going to let this thing linger that long," Sather said in an interview on MSG Network during the Rangers' preseason game against the Calgary Flames on Monday night. "I don't think he is a big enough fool to think that he will sit out the year and it will do any good. He is in a gap contract and every one of our players has signed a gap contract.

"You look at the football players who are making minimum wage, they get paid after they go through that time. I find it frustrating that some teams are in a hurry to sign these guys to big contracts. I think it's because the owners or managers panic and it's unfortunate that he has listened to his agent and decided [to do] that."

The New York Post is reporting Stepan is seeking a two-year contract worth $7 million, while the Rangers are offering just under $6 million over two years. The Post also reported the Rangers may be willing to increase the offer to $6.4 million. Stepan has appeared in 212 consecutive games for New York and has led Rangers forwards in ice time over the past three seasons.

"He is going to get paid, but it isn't today," Sather said. "I hope he gets wiser because every day he misses is a big deal. We have offered him a very good deal. When he turned down our qualifying offer, we have stuck with that. He has to start smelling the roses and figure out what is going on. I hope he does."

Via NHL.com ...

Personally I think this is absolutely ridiculous. Sather is the man who signed Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, Brad Richards, and traded for Rick Nash, but he's calling out other GMs for overpaying young players? On top of all this, he's willing to publicly insult one of his best young players over a 500k difference because he couldn't manage his own cap situation?

Yes, Stepan is going to be paid a ton of money to play hockey regardless, and maybe he should just suck it up and get back to work. But its not too much to ask that your GM keep contract negotiations to himself and not call you out in front of the media is it?

I could definitely see a team like Nashville or Florida sending an offersheet his way if this keeps up. That or Europe I guess.

Personally I think this is absolutely ridiculous. Sather is the man who signed Scott Gomez, Wade Redden, Brad Richards, and traded for Rick Nash, but he's calling out other GMs for overpaying young players? On top of all this, he's willing to publicly insult one of his best young players over a 500k difference because he couldn't manage his own cap situation?

Yes, Stepan is going to be paid a ton of money to play hockey regardless, and maybe he should just suck it up and get back to work. But its not too much to ask that your GM keep contract negotiations to himself and not call you out in front of the media is it?

I could definitely see a team like Nashville or Florida sending an offersheet his way if this keeps up. That or Europe I guess.

If Ottawa's ownership decides to pony up enough to be a legit contender now that their young players are ready, he'd be a really nice fit there, as he can move over to the wing.

Looks like he won't take any less than 3.5 mil on an offer sheet to go to a bottom feeder as he's clearly worth more than an early 2nd rounder.

The restricted free agent has yet to sign a contract with the club and has held out of training camp. Stepan, 23, led the Rangers with 44 points (18 goals, 26 assists) in 48 games last season.

The New York Post is reporting Stepan is seeking a two-year contract worth $7 million, while the Rangers are offering just under $6 million over two years. The Post also reported the Rangers may be willing to increase the offer to $6.4 million. Stepan has appeared in 212 consecutive games for New York and has led Rangers forwards in ice time over the past three seasons.

So, at 23 years old Derek Stepan led the Rangers (who have struggled to produce offense recently) with 44 points in 48 games, nearly a point a game pace, and has led the Rangers forwards in ice time over the past 3 years. And he's looking for a 2 year deal worth $3.5 million per season? What's the problem here Sather? That seems perfectly reasonable given the market and what other players have gotten, especially for a guy who is so key to the lineup.

So, at 23 years old Derek Stepan led the Rangers (who have struggled to produce offense recently) with 44 points in 48 games, nearly a point a game pace, and has led the Rangers forwards in ice time over the past 3 years. And he's looking for a 2 year deal worth $3.5 million per season? What's the problem here Sather? That seems perfectly reasonable given the market and what other players have gotten, especially for a guy who is so key to the lineup.

Archived