Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

How do you keep yourself thinking positively?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Funny that you claim to be smarter than 3/4 of the population while simultaneously pulling statistics directly from out of your ass.

I would think that finding 3/4 of the population to be dummer than oneself to be quite depressing. I prefer to resort to blissful ignorance on that particular subject.

And when they really get to me, just keep the dream of victory alive in my head. And as long as there's a path to it, every step along the way is a small one along the way. And once is a while, you remember how things were, and you think about how some things you now take for granted were once upon a time distance dreams, just in case you have to remind yourself that it's possible.

#32 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Funny that you claim to be smarter than 3/4 of the population while simultaneously pulling statistics directly from out of your ass.

Pulling jealousy out of one's ass is a common trait of those 3/4 -- case in point.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 25 September 2013 - 08:23 PM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#33 Luciferase

Luciferase

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Pulling jealousy out of one's ass is a common trait of those 3/4 -- case in point.

In case of that IQ thread I'd say it's even higher than 3/4

So I have midterms starting next week and am going through a bad episode emotionally and just came down with a terrible flu. With all the infectious positivity here, I'm trying to focus on how cute the influenza viruses budding inside me are.

Posted Image
I think these babies got their mommy's eyes.

Edited by Hodor, 25 September 2013 - 08:39 PM.

xjnEXdv.jpg?1

#34 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

In case of that IQ thread I'd say it's even higher than 3/4

So I have midterms starting next week and am going through a bad episode emotionally and just came down with a terrible flu. With all the infectious positivity here, I'm trying to focus on how cute the influenza viruses budding inside me are.

Posted Image
I think these babies got their mommy's eyes.

That one in the upper corner looks like Gummy @(0.o)@

#35 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

How do I stay positive?

Honestly, there's times where I don't. I get down, I panic about money tests, doctors, family failure and sexual inadequacy (of other people...tragic)

But I don't have time anymore to feel down, be sad be sorry worry or try generally to somehow make other peoples lives better over my own.

I've got two kids. They need me. I am basically one handed and raising two kids by myself, I am currently unemployed and living off of my savings account and WCB stipend. I am constantly in pain and cannot even play guitar anymore let alone climb, trail ride or wake board. And kiss the ski hill goodbye this winter.

I have a TON of crap to be down about.

But then I remember those two kids. I remember how I grew up, I think of the example I need to set for my girls and the priorities and ethic (not to mention morals) I need to instill into them.

Being down and being unhappy is a choice. I know how bad I had it growing up in a rough family on welfare. I know even at that time there were kids with even less than me.

I think of all this crap in my life and all of the crap I've gone through and how much crap I've still gotta go through. And I know I have to teach my kids to smile through it all.

Life is a hell of a ride, you really just have to find a way to enjoy it, because it really isn't all that bad and if you pay really really close attention you'll find that the hard parts are few and far between and they're pre-cursors for better things.

3 years ago I was sitting in a hospital bed in Oslo Norway wondering if the doctor was going to come in and tell me they'd have to cut my arm off of not. Today I sit here telling you no matter how bad it seems it really could always be worse and that the truth is....

Is that it's really better than it seems when you figure it all out :)

#36 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't.
"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#37 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

just look for peace :)
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#38 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

it's elusive, but once you find your own peace you will know what happiness is.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#39 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

I also try to stay out of Canucks talk when the team loses

#40 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

I don't.

Me neither, I was born to be a pessimist, my blood type is B-Negative ;)
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#41 Cyril Sneer

Cyril Sneer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I come on CDC and whine

#42 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I would think that finding 3/4 of the population to be dummer than oneself to be quite depressing. I prefer to resort to blissful ignorance on that particular subject.

And when they really get to me, just keep the dream of victory alive in my head. And as long as there's a path to it, every step along the way is a small one along the way. And once is a while, you remember how things were, and you think about how some things you now take for granted were once upon a time distance dreams, just in case you have to remind yourself that it's possible.

Agreed. I feel quite lucky to work in an environment where I have tons of brilliant mentors who all have something new to teach me. If I thought I was smarter than 3/4 of the people I spent time with, I'd try to find new people to spend time with.
Posted Image
Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#43 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I keep myself going every day knowing that I'm smarter than over 3/4 of the population in Canada (not by IQ, mind you, but by being able to put off gratification for later and save/invest smartly -- i.e. use the intelligence I have, not merely possess it) and that the stupidity of the masses is not merely something I have to suffer from with them, but instead take advantage of. :)

Very good.

#44 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

The thing that's most effective is realizing the problem and just saying "frack it" and moving on because life is crap sometimes.

Edit: This auto-censor is ridiculous.

Edited by mbal23, 26 September 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#45 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Agreed. I feel quite lucky to work in an environment where I have tons of brilliant mentors who all have something new to teach me. If I thought I was smarter than 3/4 of the people I spent time with, I'd try to find new people to spend time with.

I've read that the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to be depressed, not sure how accurate that is though.

Any day that I'm not in pain or suffering...is a great day!! Lots of people are both as I type this.
Posted Image

#46 Luciferase

Luciferase

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

I've read that the more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to be depressed, not sure how accurate that is though.

Any day that I'm not in pain or suffering...is a great day!! Lots of people are both as I type this.

The way I've heard it put by psych profs is that the greater the mental capacity, the greater the probability of disorder. The list of brilliant scientists and writers that were depressed is staggering

xjnEXdv.jpg?1

#47 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

A couple things that have worker for me. Even though some people might view me differently now, is I try to be selfish except for the people close to me.
It's not that I'm ignorant of what's happening in the world, it's I try and not care about it.
All I focus on is money, family and friends.
People always say be nice to everyone and it eventually will have benifits on your happiness.
I say screw that, focus on yourself. Don't focus on being overly nice, let that come out naturally cause you're genuinely happy.

Also another thing is I always try to plan for things in the future, like Halloween, Christmas, vacations, movie night.
I always plan for something and it gives me thighs to look forward to.

#48 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

A couple things that have worker for me. Even though some people might view me differently now, is I try to be selfish except for the people close to me.
It's not that I'm ignorant of what's happening in the world, it's I try and not care about it.
All I focus on is money, family and friends.
People always say be nice to everyone and it eventually will have benifits on your happiness.
I say screw that, focus on yourself. Don't focus on being overly nice, let that come out naturally cause you're genuinely happy.

Also another thing is I always try to plan for things in the future, like Halloween, Christmas, vacations, movie night.
I always plan for something and it gives me thighs to look forward to.

I learned to do this the hard way. I used to have terrible anxiety. I would hear about mass shootings in the USA (the one in Newtown really messed me up for a few weeks) and go into a panic. My mind wouldn't register the fact that the event happened thousands of miles away, it would only register that it is possible for it to happen. I would hear about terrorism overseas and my anxiety would act up.

Slowly, but surely, I learned to not care. I stopped looking at the front page of the newspaper, change the channel as soon as the news comes on after a show I was watching, and stopped following news outlets on Twitter. If something local is happening and I need to know about it, somebody I follow will retweet it, that's a given, and the news will get to me.

Now, I will hear about a tragic event and think, "hm, sucks for them, but I'm grateful it didn't happen to me." I don't want to sound like I'm a cruel person, but I used to be VERY sympathetic. After the Newtown incident I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that a human being could do that to innocent children, and what the families must be going through, and that those poor children were having a fun day in school with their friends before the events unfolded.

Unfortunately, I have to be selfish for my own well being and try not to give a second thought to these events.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#49 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

People tend to quantify intelligence as simply knowing things (or by numbers, for those with a number fetish), ignoring the use of intelligence as a method of success. However, intelligence measured in things like IQ means nothing in the real world, and is only for patting one's self on the back for accomplishing jack ****.

So "smart" people really aren't smart until they prove it by doing something useful with their supposed intelligence.

It would make sense that those with intellectual capacity but not making use of it might suffer from depression, there's no use of simply thinking or knowing you're intelligent until you make use of those alleged traits. Which is why the world is nicer to those who are intelligent enough to make use of their intellect.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 28 September 2013 - 12:18 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#50 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Got positivity in spades Hodor. I'll sell you some at student prices?

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#51 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

tl;dr

i stay away from people. people tend to bring out my negative thoughts. :rolleyes:
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#52 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

People tend to quantify intelligence as simply knowing things (or by numbers, for those with a number fetish), ignoring the use of intelligence as a method of success. However, intelligence measured in things like IQ means nothing in the real world, and is only for patting one's self on the back for accomplishing jack ****.

So "smart" people really aren't smart until they prove it by doing something useful with their supposed intelligence.

It would make sense that those with intellectual capacity but not making use of it might suffer from depression, there's no use of simply thinking or knowing you're intelligent until you make use of those alleged traits. Which is why the world is nicer to those who are intelligent enough to make use of their intellect.

Honestly, I couldn't really care less(was more or less trying to poke some fun). If being smarter than everyone else makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside....congrats man!! :)
Posted Image

#53 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

But you've also equated "success" to a monetary value...perhaps others don't measure it that way? So intelligence also involves understanding that your own ideals don't represent the population as a whole...that this is how success and intelligence are measured "to you".

Making use of it (intelligence) - who determines that? You may make use of it finding a high paying job that provides financial stability and wealth. Some other person may make use of theirs in a completely selfless capacity and devote their time/money to helping others. They may require less to sustain a more modest lifestyle than you do as a result. So intelligence can't be measured by your standards and applied to everyone else as a result. I do understand that your point is in expanding intelligence to include more than just book smart, however, it becomes a subjective thing when you do that. It involves "smart" decisions but everyone has a different game plan in this life, so that will vary as a result.

Words that you've used like "success" and "useful" are your clue here....those things differ for people. What is success? What determines that a person is "useful"? Your measure of those things isn't applicable to the entire world....they're only applicable to you. So to measure others' intelligence against your own ideals is, well, not very smart.

I honestly feel that anyone proclaiming to be smarter than everyone else isn't doing a good job of selling their product. If you are telling people this you are likely not as smart as you think you are because an intelligent person knows better. :)

Posted Image

#54 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

I learned to do this the hard way. I used to have terrible anxiety. I would hear about mass shootings in the USA (the one in Newtown really messed me up for a few weeks) and go into a panic. My mind wouldn't register the fact that the event happened thousands of miles away, it would only register that it is possible for it to happen. I would hear about terrorism overseas and my anxiety would act up.

Slowly, but surely, I learned to not care. I stopped looking at the front page of the newspaper, change the channel as soon as the news comes on after a show I was watching, and stopped following news outlets on Twitter. If something local is happening and I need to know about it, somebody I follow will retweet it, that's a given, and the news will get to me.

Now, I will hear about a tragic event and think, "hm, sucks for them, but I'm grateful it didn't happen to me." I don't want to sound like I'm a cruel person, but I used to be VERY sympathetic. After the Newtown incident I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that a human being could do that to innocent children, and what the families must be going through, and that those poor children were having a fun day in school with their friends before the events unfolded.

Unfortunately, I have to be selfish for my own well being and try not to give a second thought to these events.

In situations like this, I think it's more of a survival technique than being selfish. Anxiety and worry can consume you if you don't take steps like this to avoid certain situations that can trigger a pretty devastating reaction. I know worry like this can be crippling, so you aren't hurting anyone by being proactive and taking that approach. :)

Posted Image

#55 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

In situations like this, I think it's more of a survival technique than being selfish. Anxiety and worry can consume you if you don't take steps like this to avoid certain situations that can trigger a pretty devastating reaction. I know worry like this can be crippling, so you aren't hurting anyone by being proactive and taking that approach. :)

I was also going to reply and say that I don't really think that is being selfish, IMO. You can't ruin your own life stressing about all the bad. I know some people who do and it's really sad to see.
Posted Image

#56 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

But you've also equated "success" to a monetary value...perhaps others don't measure it that way? So intelligence also involves understanding that your own ideals don't represent the population as a whole...that this is how success and intelligence are measured "to you".

Making use of it (intelligence) - who determines that? You may make use of it finding a high paying job that provides financial stability and wealth. Some other person may make use of theirs in a completely selfless capacity and devote their time/money to helping others. They may require less to sustain a more modest lifestyle than you do as a result. So intelligence can't be measured by your standards and applied to everyone else as a result. I do understand that your point is in expanding intelligence to include more than just book smart, however, it becomes a subjective thing when you do that. It involves "smart" decisions but everyone has a different game plan in this life, so that will vary as a result.

Words that you've used like "success" and "useful" are your clue here....those things differ for people. What is success? What determines that a person is "useful"? Your measure of those things isn't applicable to the entire world....they're only applicable to you. So to measure others' intelligence against your own ideals is, well, not very smart.

I honestly feel that anyone proclaiming to be smarter than everyone else isn't doing a good job of selling their product. If you are telling people this you are likely not as smart as you think you are because an intelligent person knows better. :)

I just watched your sig for like 3 minutes.

I am happy

#57 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I keep myself going every day knowing that I'm smarter than over 3/4 of the population in Canada (not by IQ, mind you, but by being able to put off gratification for later and save/invest smartly -- i.e. use the intelligence I have, not merely possess it) and that the stupidity of the masses is not merely something I have to suffer from with them, but instead take advantage of. :)

Thinking that you are smarter than 75% of Canadians (not a real accomplishment at all) makes you happy? And your logic of thinking that you are smart is that you 'put off gratification' and 'investing smartly'?

Ignorance (and having low standards and expectations out of life) is indeed a bliss, I guess.
Posted Image

#58 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Everyone has been through some tough times for sure but how do you dig yourself out of it? More importantly, how do you muster the energy for that optimism? How do you know you're not being delusional about "hope"?

Big questions, big questions indeed. And ones I can never answer or understand being perpetually pessimistic

There are billions of people worse off than you are.

You live in a safe, free and clean country where almost everything you want to achieve within reason can be achieved. The UN consistently ranks Canada and Vancouver among the best countries and cities to live in. Just thinking about that made me feel better than I did a few minutes ago.

I don't know what is making you depressed. Sickness? Poor?

Edited by CB007, 28 September 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

#59 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Deb don't waste your time debating with pirate hat using logic. It's not worth your time.
Posted Image

#60 TheDeadman

TheDeadman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

I was going to post a box of my antidepressants; then I looked them up and found a youtube video saying they cause heart attacks.... I am not thinking positively right now.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.