The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any WoW nerds out there?

Tigs

i like how you say "still"

as if there was ever much of a legitimate reason to play it in the first place that has since been jeopardized

EQ2 and WoW came out within a few weeks of each other. I had both on preorder and decided to go with EQ2 because it looks better and less cartoon-y.

The years have proven the choice wrong but let it not be said that Colonial Dee does not go down with a sinking ship.

Used to play wow before they turn the game into a giant calculator where every move of yours and the team is calculated.

They control how you play, where you go in pve, etc etc. It really sucked out the mmo element of a mmorpg. They have such a huge environment for the game, but there is no reason for you to go there.

By the end of the deathwing expansion, they didnt even bother to give you new models for the final raid encounter. Almost every piece of models in the dw raid was reused model even for the bosses.

And raid finder really killed the drive of playing the game since you can see every part of the raid in two weeks.

The game becomes an online game with a 3d hub rather than a mmo lately since all you do now is to sit jn town and wait for queue to pop..

All in all, it used to be fun, really fun. But it's just a former shell of its old form now. It doesn't help when other game is copying wow and made 1848949584 other wow clones. Wow literally is responsible of destroying the whole genre

Used to play wow before they turn the game into a giant calculator where every move of yours and the team is calculated.

They control how you play, where you go in pve, etc etc. It really sucked out the mmo element of a mmorpg. They have such a huge environment for the game, but there is no reason for you to go there.

By the end of the deathwing expansion, they didnt even bother to give you new models for the final raid encounter. Almost every piece of models in the dw raid was reused model even for the bosses.

And raid finder really killed the drive of playing the game since you can see every part of the raid in two weeks.

The game becomes an online game with a 3d hub rather than a mmo lately since all you do now is to sit jn town and wait for queue to pop..

All in all, it used to be fun, really fun. But it's just a former shell of its old form now. It doesn't help when other game is copying wow and made 1848949584 other wow clones. Wow literally is responsible of destroying the whole genre

I loved WoW back in the day. I was one of the main Priests in my old guild back when it was 40 man raids and even into the 25 man raids. Played for 5 years or so then quit, then came back on and off for a few expansions...then quit for good. IMO probably one of my favorite games ever.

I played Asherons Call for years before i played WoW. IN AC you could come up with unique character builds that no one had seen before. Come up with completely different angles on how to play. WoW puts you in a mold that you have to stick to in order to be effective. Not much inventiveness going on. In AC I also liked how you could fight surrounded by 20 mobs much higher level than you constantly and survive.

I played Asherons Call for years before i played WoW. IN AC you could come up with unique character builds that no one had seen before. Come up with completely different angles on how to play. WoW puts you in a mold that you have to stick to in order to be effective. Not much inventiveness going on. In AC I also liked how you could fight surrounded by 20 mobs much higher level than you constantly and survive.

Technically all mmos pre wow era are unique. Even in less flexible Asian mmos such as lineage and ragnarok online yhe character customizations and player driven economy were MILES ahead of today's mmorpg

The invention of wow and its trinity system had done a huge damage to the genre resulting in today's wow clones.

It's actually a pretty sad aspect in game history . I remember ppl used to set up side walk shops in ro where ppl can enter and haggle the prices of the items, or beig a merchant who set up a potion shop in dungeons so they can make a profit . Those days are long gone.

Eq next seem I promise to bring back the old school mmo, but I am not sure how much we can trust Sony ....

• 7 months later...

We all know the other name for Goldshire....

What do you main?

I rotate between my Paladin, Priest, Warrior, and other alts. I'm horrible at raids and dungeons. I don't study the "mechanics" of the game. I just play. So when people list strengths I'm like. Huh? I know I'm geared poorly. But then I play for fun. I easily get lost in the wow-speak.

I still have an active subscription but I haven't played for about 3 weeks. I have 6 90's (Rogue, Druid, Priest, Warrior, Hunter, and Paladin) but I'm mostly waiting for the new xpac.

same with almost everyone i know, no one other than me has re-subbed for now. I only have 2 90's, 1 full pvp geared Feral druid and 1 gearless Boosted Rogue

I played in my school years. (BC-WotLK). I stopped when it went from "Exploring a limitless world of magic and adventure" to "world of queue-craft". It completely lost the magic for me. Oh well, I'll always have nostalgia.

I find PVP far more boring now. Arenas are just so unbalanced if you don't have the right group composition. I had a hunter friend carry me to just under 1900 and decided it was too much of a joke now. I did like RBGs and might get back into that.

PVE is obviously going to suck if you spend all your time in LFR. Flex is good for short bursts and all the cross realm stuff makes it really easy to play normal and heroic raids with old friends. I'm enjoying just raiding 2 days a week, it leaves a ton of time for anything else in game and real life stuff.

Took a year off now I'm back with a buddy and we rerolled horde on KJ. Not gonna bother with any endgame this xpac and the only 90 have is a boosted DK. Really having fun leveling BoA geared alts in bgs like this hunter.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Treymack/simple

Wsg weekend last week so levelled quite a bit!

Archived