The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Horvat and Shinkaruk to start season with Canucks

hockeyville88

He's not implying that Bo is not gonna be good, I think he's saying Schneider is arguably the top goalie in the world NOW & Bo is never gonna be the top centre in the league but he still will be good player & we needed help NOW...MG wanted more for Luongo than just a 1st rd pick then he gives up our younger * better goalie for less then what he was shopping Luuongo for....

I have a different opinion. It doesn't mean I am putting your opinion down.

Its extremely tempting to claim that a fully developed Schneider at age 27 is 'better' than the 18 year old Bo Horvat who has never played a single NHL yet.

Especially since Horvat is also a defensive guru so you dont see him on highlight reels as much as a Shinkaruk . It also helps Schneiders cause that he has played very well in pre season but with 1/2 rosters and half baked efforts, lets not carve his name into the Veznia quite yet.

This trade is really about Eddie Lack . It was about Roberto Luongo, but that ended in disaster due to the CBA and Gillis' misread of the market for him.

Now its about Eddie Lack being developed as well as Schneider was. If Eddie can even come close to being as good as Schneider is, then our organization came way out ahead on this deal.

The Devils are no contenders. They will not make the playoffs and even if they do they will get blown away in the first round. They have a motley crue of malcontents who havent played together before. Sure they can pull off a Cinderella . Its far more likely they dont.

This Horvat deal was before Kolvalchuk bolted. The Devils dont do that deal if they if they knew . They would far rather have the future Selke centerman.

So we can point the finger all we want at fully developed Schneiders numbers but lets wait until we have a fully developed Horvat before we compare.

Guys, there's no way Shinkaruk sticks...

His conditioning sucks and is nowhere near where it needs to be to survive a 82-game NHL schedule + a deep playoff run. He won't even have enough gas to even last til Olympic break in the NHL.

He's running on adrenaline right now and even then he gets tired in the 3rd period. He's only a body that fills our roster until we get Kassian and Schroeder back from suspension and injury.

Same goes for Horvat - he is in better shape but his skillset and skating could clearly develop more in the juniors.

Guys, there's no way Shinkaruk sticks...

His conditioning sucks and is nowhere near where it needs to be to survive a 82-game NHL schedule + a deep playoff run. He won't even have enough gas to even last til Olympic break in the NHL.

He's running on adrenaline right now and even then he gets tired in the 3rd period. He's only a body that fills our roster until we get Kassian and Schroeder back from suspension and injury.

Same goes for Horvat - he is in better shape but his skillset and skating could clearly develop more in the juniors.

The opening line-up should be something like this

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Higgins

Booth - Horvat - Hansen

Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Weber

Luongo

That could actually work out. I really hope Shinkaruk can form some chemistry with Kesler, that could give us a deep line-up when Kassian returns.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Higgins - Hansen (Try Higgins as center to see if that works because we have too many wingers.)

Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

We should try to trade one of our wingers for a 3rd line C unless Horvat or Santorelli can step up. The 4th line is really weird and Gillis is going to have to fix it at some point.

No one is saying Bo won't turn out. The facts are & you are saying it clearly as well "LET"S WAIT & SEE IN A FEW YEARS"... We traded the for sure thing for a lets wait & see player......

Plus MG miscalculated the whole Luongo thing by way over valuing him & asking way more in return for Lu then what he got for the BETTER & YOUNGER Schneider in the end........MG put the team in this desperate situation.....We should've got Bo for Lu & still had Cory plus a few mill more in cap space to boot.....

Like Tort's said re; Corrado "he needs to play we are not going to keep him up here to play 8 or 9 minutes a game.

Shinkaruk and Horvat have to basically beat out our top 9 forwards or they haven't a chance at sticking past 9 games.

So who gets bumped to the 4th line if they do that?

Sedins/Kassian

Burrows/Kesler/Booth

Higgins/Santorelli or Schroeder/Hansen

I am pulling for the kids but it's a point a game or bust.

It doesn't take a genius to notice.

Hunter is gassed by the 3rd period. Watch him every shift - he starts to get tired in the latter half of his shifts in the 3rd and sometimes late in the 2nd period. He's been playing well but he won't be able to play well for 82 games and a deep playoff run...

Compare his 1st 3 shifts with his last 3 - that should tell you that Hunter is not ready.

Compare Henrik's 1st 3 shifts with his last 3 - it is the exact same.

That's the difference.

People, you CANNOT succeed in the NHL without unbelievable conditioning unless you're Dustin Penner-huge or strictly an enforcer. If we can already tell Shinkaruk is getting worn out after playing 10 minutes, it's quite obvious that his conditioning isn't at the NHL level yet. And that's pretty normal for a teenager. He's not a physical freak like Crosby who is built like a tank and could skate through a wall at 18. Anyone who has ever played a sport should understand that it's way easier to get injured if you're exhausted. Many of you guys are suggesting that management should play with fire and defy the astronomically high odds that he'll get injured by keeping him in the lineup all year. Really?

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.

Great idea, I think both Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk have been great for us so far, and they were claiming they wanted "to give the younger guys a chance"--well here it is. I couldn't be more excited for these two skater, Shinkaruk especially, I've liked him since the day we drafted him and I saw his sweet skills in WHL highlights =)

Archived