The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Horvat and Shinkaruk to start season with Canucks

hockeyville88

Hunter has played well, but I still worry about rushing him. Mostly because he's not as physically mature. Look at Edmonton with Hall and RNH. They've both had major injuries already in their young careers and you have to wonder if those injuries will create problems down the road. They both definitely deserve more of a look though, even if its just a few games.

Totally agree, but we are deeper in the positions that Horvat would be playing. I think Hunter could stay if he starts scoring. Young rookies tend to get worn down by the end of the season, for that reason alone I predict NHL proven players will get the spots on this team, this year, in most cases.

Personally think MG is keeping Horvat to save face.

The goalie he traded has let in one goal in 3 games and has a save % of .990

If he sends the kid back he reminds the hockey world he gets raped on every trade.

Bad move, kid is not ready, Shink "Maybe" but even he im concerned about size and getting RNH syndrome and injuries when the men start playing like men. Exhibition guys dont hit as much as they are trying to stay healthy themselves...it changes next week.

Horvat, shame on you MG shame.

Hunter has played well, but I still worry about rushing him. Mostly because he's not as physically mature. Look at Edmonton with Hall and RNH. They've both had major injuries already in their young careers and you have to wonder if those injuries will create problems down the road. They both definitely deserve more of a look though, even if its just a few games.

Totally agree, but we are deeper in the positions that Horvat would be playing. I think Hunter could stay if he starts scoring. Young rookies tend to get worn down by the end of the season, for that reason alone I predict NHL proven players will get the spots on this team, this year, in most cases.

Personally think MG is keeping Horvat to save face.

The goalie he traded has let in one goal in 3 games and has a save % of .990

If he sends the kid back he reminds the hockey world he gets raped on every trade.

Bad move, kid is not ready, Shink "Maybe" but even he im concerned about size and getting RNH syndrome and injuries when the men start playing like men. Exhibition guys dont hit as much as they are trying to stay healthy themselves...it changes next week.

Horvat, shame on you MG shame.

Here's some players 23 and under who had success with Torts:

Derek Stepan came out of college and stepped into New York in a big way. He put up 21 goals/45 points in his rookie season. The next year he put up 51 points as a 21 year old. Last year, as a 22 year old Stepan led the Rags in points, passing names like Rick Nash and Marian Gaborik.

Ryan Callahan, at the time 23, went from a 15 points/52 game player to a 40 point/81 game 2-way force in Torts' first year.

Despite his up and downs Micheal Del Zotto has put up point totals of 37, 41 and paced for 37 again last year, all under 23.

Carl Hagelin played his first NHL games under Torts. A former 6th round pick, put up 38 points in 64 games as a rookie.

Dubinsky went from a 40 point player to a 50+ point player in Torts' first full year, as a 23 year old.

Marc Staal, as a 22 year old, went for a 15 point player to a 25+ point defenseman when Torts took over.

Artem Anisimov put up 28 points in 82 games under Torts, then quickly became a 40 point player the following year.

Paul Ranger, 21, put up 28 points in 71 games under Torts and was considered a top-3 defenseman on most teams, due to his effective 2-way play.

Although Brad Richards stepped into the league a 62 point player, Tortorella had him a 70+ point and then a 79 point player at 23. Not to mention he had a Conn Smythe and a cup that year.

Lecavalier also made the transition from a player with unlimited potential to a cup-winning 1st line centre.

Archived