The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Horvat and Shinkaruk to start season with Canucks

hockeyville88

The games that matter start next week. I doubt both Horvat and Shinkaruk will make it, it's much more likely both will be sent down after their first 9 games.

However, if one of them can prove to be a reliable secondary scorer (~1 PPG) they might just stay up with the big club.

If I had to guess, I would say Shinkaruk has the slight edge, as he makes up for his size with his pure offensive talent.

well I was in the elevator with him at a game last year at GM place and my 15 yr old son is 5'9 & so am I & we were both clearly taller then him... Also I way 180lbs & there's no way he weighs even close to 170lbs. in reality. Back of hockey cards always add a few...

"Mike, you gotta get rid of these young guys real soon. They're not real good at dumping and changing. They try real hard to score more goals instead of protecting the 0-0 tie. Also, they don't seem to understand my gum morse code. I keep chewing harder and they look at me real weird." - AV

Starting Night:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Shinkaruk

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

Full Line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (1A line)

Booth - Kesler - Shinkaruk (1B line)

Burrows - Horvat - Hansen (Best 3rd checking line in the league, also can be a 2b line for scoring)

Higgins - Richardson - Santorelli (3A)

The fact that they can't be called back up after they're sent down could be a factor. Here's our depth chart with both back in junior:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Stestito-Richardson-Weise

Schroeder

Jensen

Ferrerio

Just one extra center is risking it, especially with more shotblocking. Jensen didn't look good at camp and I wouldn't want Ferrerio up for more than a few games. Not to mention Stestitio should not be a given on the 4th line. He's not as bad as people here think he is, but he shouldn't be a fixture in the lineup on a nightly basis. Unless we add another player via waivers/trade (preferably a center), I think we almost have to keep at least one of the rookies up. A couple of injuries to our centers and we're in huge trouble.

The games that matter start next week. I doubt both Horvat and Shinkaruk will make it, it's much more likely both will be sent down after their first 9 games.

However, if one of them can prove to be a reliable secondary scorer (~1 PPG) they might just stay up with the big club.

If I had to guess, I would say Shinkaruk has the slight edge, as he makes up for his size with his pure offensive talent.

Ok genius?

Who deserves it more than Horvat?

Are you implying that you would rather Bo play junior games than get a taste of NHL speed and strength?

Kid has 2 apples, has been lights out in the dot and solid positionally last 3 games. He and Shink have been as impressive as any 18 yr olds since Bourdon and Linden. And that includes Hodgson!

Odds are he'll be back in London once Kassian and Schroeder come back.

Would you prefer Schneider or Luongo and Horvat?

What trades should he have made?

Firstly, do you see the need to insult because you don't agree with somone "genius". Are you that insecure that because I articulated my point well and you disagree with it, your inferiority complex kicks in, because your first line certainly suggests ALL of that. So grow up child.

Secondly, where did I say someone "deserves it more than Horvat", I said Horvat is not ready. He has shown some good signs but clearly you don't know the difference between 18 yr old 200 lb strength and stride and 30 yr old 200 lb man strength and man stride.

How he 'learns' that, is by going back to junior and continuing to work on his strength during the season and off season as well as his skating, as most players do. (Ie same reason Gaunce is going back). If you don't understand that age and time to further work on those things don't help you as an athlete you certainly aren't older than 17.

Thirdly, two assists against mid level competition in six games isn't 'lights out' its ok for a rookie. If you want to look at a player who as at least been noticeable its Shinkaruk. Yes Horvat has done some good things and he looks to be potentially a very good player down the road but he's not ready is the point.

Fourthly, who would I trade? Did I suggest a different trade? Am I going to get into how bad MG has been in trading away young assets here, no. But suffice to say, if you want to say that Trading Hodgson and Schnieder, our two best young talents for Kassian and Horvat AT THIS JUNCTURE is an even trade you are fooling yourself. Time will tell and they could be terrific deals in 5 years or MG looks a bafoon. Regardless, that wasn't the point, I wasn't at all critical of Horvat other than to say he wasn't ready.

And the point of my post was simply, he is being rushed because MG wants to save face. Not that Horvat is a bad player, that he simply is just too green and needs more time, but MG doesn't want to look bad.

Good day. work on your reading comprehension.

The fact that they can't be called back up after they're sent down could be a factor. Here's our depth chart with both back in junior:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Stestito-Richardson-Weise

Schroeder

Jensen

Ferrerio

Just one extra center is risking it, especially with more shotblocking. Jensen didn't look good at camp and I wouldn't want Ferrerio up for more than a few games. Not to mention Stestitio should not be a given on the 4th line. He's not as bad as people here think he is, but he shouldn't be a fixture in the lineup on a nightly basis. Unless we add another player via waivers/trade (preferably a center), I think we almost have to keep at least one of the rookies up. A couple of injuries to our centers and we're in huge trouble.

Archived