237 replies to this topic

#211 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

No one is saying Bo won't turn out. The facts are & you are saying it clearly as well "LET"S WAIT & SEE IN A FEW YEARS"... We traded the for sure thing for a lets wait & see player......
Plus MG miscalculated the whole Luongo thing by way over valuing him & asking way more in return for Lu then what he got for the BETTER & YOUNGER Schneider in the end........MG put the team in this desperate situation.....We should've got Bo for Lu & still had Cory plus a few mill more in cap space to boot.....

You forgot to mention the #1 fact.

We had to trade a goalie. We missed the boat on trading Luongo. Complain all you want about that.

We had to trade a goalie and we got the #9 pick in a very deep draft. No goalie in NHL history has been traded for a pick that high, let alone in a deep draft.

Luongo could never have fetched Horvat with his contract. Pre lock out or not. I strongly disagree with that assertion.

So in the end Schneider is 27 and Horvat is 18. Comparing the two right now is disingenuous.

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#212 Benchsplinters

Benchsplinters

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Like Tort's said re; Corrado "he needs to play we are not going to keep him up here to play 8 or 9 minutes a game.

Shinkaruk and Horvat have to basically beat out our top 9 forwards or they haven't a chance at sticking past 9 games.

So who gets bumped to the 4th line if they do that?

Sedins/Kassian
Burrows/Kesler/Booth
Higgins/Santorelli or Schroeder/Hansen

I am pulling for the kids but it's a point a game or bust.

Why have you penciled in Kassian as a guaranteed starter and especially with the twins. IMHO Kassian did not really show up in the exhibition games he played. I get the impression Torts is really impressed with Shinkaruk and Horvat and the possibility certainly exists that either rookie could out play Kassian right out of a job.

I really can't see Torts opting to take Burrows off the first line and replace him with Kassian. Kassian has not proved he deserves that position to date. Labelling players for specific positions because they may be a fan favorite is not an option to any coach who has been given a clear and definite mandate to ice a winning team. That is why Torts was hired by Vancouver.
(1) "When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

(2) "On the internet you can be anything you want. It's strange so many people choose to be stupid."

(3) "As I have grown older, I have learned pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake."

(4) "Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most never use it."

(5) "Organized people are just too lazy to look for things."

#213 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Kassian being played out of a job would be amazing. Trade the guy away for a bag of pucks for all I care.

Posted Image

Schroeder

#214 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

How did you figure this out?

It doesn't take a genius to notice.

Hunter is gassed by the 3rd period. Watch him every shift - he starts to get tired in the latter half of his shifts in the 3rd and sometimes late in the 2nd period. He's been playing well but he won't be able to play well for 82 games and a deep playoff run...

Compare his 1st 3 shifts with his last 3 - that should tell you that Hunter is not ready.

Compare Henrik's 1st 3 shifts with his last 3 - it is the exact same.

That's the difference.

Edited by Dasein, 28 September 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#215 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

POPULAR

Hunter is gassed by the 3rd period. Watch him every shift - he starts to get tired in the latter half of his shifts in the 3rd and sometimes late in the 2nd period. He's been playing well but he won't be able to play well for 82 games and a deep playoff run...

Compare his 1st 3 shifts with his last 3 - that should tell you that Hunter is not ready.

That's the difference.

Complete and utter crap.

Shinkaruk has come on late in all the game's he's played. He's fast, not blindingly fast, but the speed is there when he needs it. This is the new NHL sir, and it's time for young guys to make the team.

Posted Image

Schroeder

#216 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Complete and utter crap.

Shinkaruk has come on late in all the game's he's played. He's fast, not blindingly fast, but the speed is there when he needs it. This is the new NHL sir, and it's time for young guys to make the team.

Yeah real crap analysis IMO too, you don't sent a prospect that's panning out well down b/c you don't think he can last the season and playoffs...let him show you he cannot handle it before you assume so, even with crap conditioning he is still faster than Coho and Coho is doing just fine as we all know.

#217 mancaesar

mancaesar

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

People, you CANNOT succeed in the NHL without unbelievable conditioning unless you're Dustin Penner-huge or strictly an enforcer. If we can already tell Shinkaruk is getting worn out after playing 10 minutes, it's quite obvious that his conditioning isn't at the NHL level yet. And that's pretty normal for a teenager. He's not a physical freak like Crosby who is built like a tank and could skate through a wall at 18. Anyone who has ever played a sport should understand that it's way easier to get injured if you're exhausted. Many of you guys are suggesting that management should play with fire and defy the astronomically high odds that he'll get injured by keeping him in the lineup all year. Really?

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.

Edited by mancaesar, 28 September 2013 - 09:52 PM.

John Paul II made a saint. John Garrett next?

#218 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

I had zero doubt that these kids would be great in the long run but to be this well-developed at 18 says an awful lot. These were some dynamite picks. Always nice to be surprised in a good way by prospects. Doesn't happen all that often.

Not for the Canucks anyway, lovin' the Shink pick considering how far he fell. Horvat looks solid and could be a great pick moving forward. Really hoping he cracks the third line this year. I really dislike Shredder, but wouldn't be disappointed if he has a breakout season when he returns.

#219 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just a quicky, then they're gone.

Not for the Canucks anyway, lovin' the Shink pick considering how far he fell. Horvat looks solid and could be a great pick moving forward. Really hoping he cracks the third line this year. I really dislike Shredder, but wouldn't be disappointed if he has a breakout season when he returns.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN
SHINKARUK - HORVAT - BOOTH/ HIGGINS
BURROWS - KESLER - HANSEN
SESTITO - RICHARDSON - WEISE

EDLER - GARISSON
HAMHUIS - BIEKSA
ALBERTS - TANEV
WEBER

LUONGO
LACK

Edited by Me_, 29 September 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#220 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Great idea, I think both Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk have been great for us so far, and they were claiming they wanted "to give the younger guys a chance"--well here it is. I couldn't be more excited for these two skater, Shinkaruk especially, I've liked him since the day we drafted him and I saw his sweet skills in WHL highlights =)

#221 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

People, you CANNOT succeed in the NHL without unbelievable conditioning unless you're Dustin Penner-huge or strictly an enforcer. If we can already tell Shinkaruk is getting worn out after playing 10 minutes, it's quite obvious that his conditioning isn't at the NHL level yet. And that's pretty normal for a teenager. He's not a physical freak like Crosby who is built like a tank and could skate through a wall at 18. Anyone who has ever played a sport should understand that it's way easier to get injured if you're exhausted. Many of you guys are suggesting that management should play with fire and defy the astronomically high odds that he'll get injured by keeping him in the lineup all year. Really?

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.

I just have to say, your avatar is awesome. Haha.

#222 Me_

Me_

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

That's the difference.

Feel free to compare any player to Henrik Sedin. Fact is, you're comparing an 18 year old to one of the best players in the history of the game and certainly in franchise history.

I'll take half a rookie Shinkaruk is anytime let alone Shinkaruk himself. Horvat is the package deal and he happens to play prety damn well with Shinkaruk.

All they have to do is play really. They're on top of the world and the party ain't over yet.

Enjoy.

#223 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

That's the difference.

I haven't noticed this at all. But if it WERE true, why compare someone literally drafted last year to the conditioning of an Olympic champion and a perennial all star? Last I remember, the Sedins weren't in as good of shape in their earlier years and were mediocre at best. Come on dude, there's something to be said for player development... :/

#224 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Enjoy your moments now, gentlemen.

They won't be sticking to the team for those reasons.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#225 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Enjoy your moments now, gentlemen.

They won't be sticking to the team for those reasons.

I liked the part where you ignored everyone's questions and then came back with a pathetically stupid response.

#226 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

I liked the part where you ignored everyone's questions and then came back with a pathetically stupid response.

I liked the part where he said the exact same thing on 10+ different threads.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter, 29 September 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#227 Professor.of.Perception

Professor.of.Perception

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

The canucks are a far deeper and better team with these young guns in the lineup! id rather have them in then the fringe nhler who are currently being penceled into the fourth line. There is no reason we can't ice a young more offensive, speedy and talented line while they would be playing less minutes then they would say on the farm team, they would be training at the highest level.
Most teams use a 4 line format which is sc1, sc2 checking line and energy/grit line. Our team is stacked with 2nd and 3rd liners we could easily ice a team that looks like sc1, sc2/check1, youth/sc3 and check2.
Its speed and skil that wins games, skill on both offense and defense is whats needed its 2-way hockey.
why waste 8-12 miuntes a game on a line that has next to no threat other then a bit hit or two and the odd lucky bounce. give the young guns a shot and ice a team enfused with that youthful energy.

-Credit to Vintage Canuck-
20uwio4.jpg

#228 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I hope Gilis doesn't mess with they're development, Nino Neidereitter style.

Bo especially is nowhere near ready to play in the NHL. Bad move by Gillis.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#229 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Defensive centers generally take a lot longer to develop than skilled scoring forwards. Shinkaruk looks and may well be NHL ready because of the style he plays but Horvat is not even close. It's a shame he's getting forced to play because we really don't need him. Richardson and Santorelli have proved they're NHL centers and can take the 3C and 4C spot, so we just need wingers. In that department we have plenty of players who are further on in their development than Horvat and who are much more NHL ready.
Posted Image

#230 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

I would like to see both these guys get 4 or 5 games, then back to Junior .. neither has the core strength to maintain body health for anywhere near a full NHL season .. so they get to represent Canada at the WJHC and work on any areas that need strengthening, including building up core strength and stamina, then have them come back for 3 or 4 games at seasons end/playoffs if they are available. When players with all the skills in the world, but limited strength and endurance, try to play an NHL role before they are ready, they end up like RNH .. his career may be permanently damaged by the Oil trying to rush him.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#231 AmexHiggins

AmexHiggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

guess Shannon needs to double check his source - horvat has been sent back to knights. very good mve imo

#232 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

guess Shannon needs to double check his source - horvat has been sent back to knights. very good mve imo

Source? I couldn't find it.

Posted Image

Schroeder

#233 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433043

#234 Canucks17_33_22

Canucks17_33_22

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433043

The Vancouver Canucks have reassigned centre Bo Horvat to the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.

The Knights broke the news to their fans via Twitter Sunday afternoon, writing: "We are proud to announce that @BoHorvat will be back with the boys after being re-assigned by the @VanCanucks! #WelcomeBackBo".

The Canucks took Horvat with the ninth overall selection in the 2013 NHL Draft, the pick they acquired from the New Jersey Devils in exchange for goaltender Cory Schneider.

Horvat, a London native, scored 33 goals and added 28 assists in 67 regular season games with the Knights last season.
He will join fellow first-round pick Max Domi on the Knights, after he was assigned to the OHL by the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday.

#235 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

"@SNETPacific: #Canucks Bo Horvat will be joining his junior team in London. #NHL #OHL"

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#236 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, I haven't seen this conditioning problem with Shinkaruk either Dasien.

Though like Horvat he should also be returned to Junior, once Kassian comes back.

zackass.png

#237 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

good i was hoping bo would go along with domi, now london just got a major boost n the two have a chance to light up the league and play for team canada at the world juniors, happy with this move.

#238 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,540 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Sorry guys, looks like the report was premature. Or else last night's trade changed the plans for Horvat at least
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.