The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs sign Kessel to 8 year contract, $8m AAV w/ $23.5m signing bonus

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

But no one has confirmed it's done yet. So we'll see. If it's done, I would expect it'll be $8M per year, give or take $500K, for 7 or 8 yrs

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

Getting a sense Phil Kessel's contract extension in TOR could get done as early as Tues. Leafs and Kessel's agents working towards that.

Holy payday, Batman. Kessel must REALLY not want to be a Leaf if that's what takes him to stay.

Update: On mobile, but deal is done. I'll update with exact terms when they're made official

Update2: Updated title with terms of the deal. My phone doesn't like copying tweets so I can't post 'em.

not really, kessel is an elite scorer in the league and the salary cap is set to go up pretty significantly over the next 5 years. People forget that kessel is just turning 26 this season he hasnt even hit his prime yet.

That's about what I thought he would get. He's been in the top 10 for scoring the last few years and when you look at what Perry, Getzlaf, Giroux, etc. got, then the $8 million range sounds about right.

I'm a little surprised though. I thought he was going to test free agency.

not really, kessel is an elite scorer in the league and the salary cap is set to go up pretty significantly over the next 5 years. People forget that kessel is just turning 26 this season he hasnt even hit his prime yet.

He does not deserve to be making Crosby money if he's not going to be bringing the same package to the table as a player like Crosby

Actually, Kessel is an above average scorer. Stamkos is an elite scorer.

But the difference is Stammer plays a solid 2 way game, Kessel gets bloody lazy at times and takes more than whole games off and can be cowed into submission by blanket defense.

$8 million give or take $500k will absolutely screw the Leafs for at least 3 seasons knowing they've 5 Dmen to sign next year plus more.

Best of luck to the Loafs.

He does not deserve to be making Crosby money if he's not going to be bringing the same package to the table as a player like Crosby

You got to remember that Crosby's deal was structured under the old CBA. Crosby is actually going to be making $12 million dollars this year. However due to the way his contract is structured his cap hit is only $8.7 mil.

Considering Gaborik makes 7.5; This is a good deal. Kessel still has ALOT of Elite years left in him and has been ALOT healthier than Gabby. I think people like to crap on him because of what Burke paid for him and because he is a Leaf - but realistically; Seguin isn't a Bruin anymore anyways. lol

This is absolute madness.

f718a05628dfbc376042877c10f7f0cd_normal.jpegBob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie15m

TOR knew Kessel's statistical history/productivity would mean he'd be looking for as much as $8.5M AAV or Claude Giroux $8.275M territory.

Expand

GTFO, Bobo.

First, Giroux plays center and is good in all 3 zones. Second, Giroux isn't worth the contract he is signed to. Finally, Kessel is wildly inconsistent season to season. Players whose productivity is wildly inconsistent while only being offensive players do not deserve elite level money, I'm sorry.

Archived