The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bro Jake & Team1040 - thoughts after a month?

nanaimo

I personally don't mind Jake as long as he's used in the right context, and is kept far away from his Champ persona.He's kinda like that ADD diagnosed kid that you sat next to in grade school. Find him the right partner, and he may just surprise you. At least he's trying to improve and become more knowledgeable with regards to sports. Personally they need to get rid of that windbag partner of his. Pratt is just... not a good foil for Jake. He needs Scotty and another guy, like Rick Ball as a mere example, to round out Jake's effectiveness, I think. Just keep in mind that he's never done a talk show format of any kind. Peraonally, I'm more surprised that they are willing to let Scotty waste away in the 10- midnight slot.

Then Rintoul's old segments where they talk nothing but TV shows and actors and why Botch is grumpy again... That was supposed to be taken seriously?

This current show isn't perfect, but i don't miss the old one.

I must admit I did not like Chappy or Botch, Rintoul is just OK

I liked McKechie and Moj from when the station first started

I must admit I did not like Chappy or Botch, Rintoul is just OK

I liked McKechie and Moj from when the station first started

McGOOCH! He was let go because he used to drop calls accidentally as often as Pratt dropped jokes about bike lanes, leather pants, or the Roxy.

And if Pratt was old, McKeachie was ANCIENT.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the new revamped Team 1040, a month after the change?

Personally, I did not care for Bro Jake on Rock 101 and eventually moved stations. I found his schtick to be tired after a while. When he came to Team 1040, I was skeptical but gave it a chance. After a month, I'm tired of him. I find him not very knowledgeable about sports, often regurgitating headlines and stats as his own opinion or contribution on the matter.

While I don't expect him to be as knowledgeable as Sekeres (who has grown on me), I feel that a sports radio host should have some in depth knowledge and provide strong insight into the sport. I do not get that with Bro Jake. His radio "personality" may have been fine for a station that played music but for a sports talk radio station, I think this is a complete miss. When we get into the real nitty gritty of the season, I want to hear about the Canucks, not the Champ.

Rip away.

Jake and Pratt are good radio guys, not sports guys. In my opinion, they have no credibility as sports talk people. The show sucks and I stopped listening after 2 weeks of giving it a good try.

Bro is ok I guess. I could take him or leave him.

Pratt on the other hand needs to tone it down. He was fine when the show started, but has slipped back into the arrogance that has gotten him into trouble in the past.

He needs to let stuff go. Whats his deal with OV? First he's going on about how he is ripping the fans off for going to light the torch, because he'll be tired at the beginning of the season. Instead of admitting he was wrong, after OV's 5 points in his first 2 games, he's ripping him for his performance in the Olympics 4 years ago. Thats his act. It's old. Time to move on from him.

That's it ... today was last straw. Had Eddie O on as a guest and Pratt wen on and on about Ovechkin ... again. Beating that horse to ground meat not once but three or four times today still. Get some new material for heaven's sake.

If any 1040 marketers are out there scouring social media ... you've lost another listener. No more 1040 in the morning for me. I rather listen to 730 AM ... that's how bad Bro and Pratt are!

The Blackhawks commentator? Sure.

But on that note, at least Olczyk wouldn't bow down to opposing media opinion like everyone on the Rintoul show did on a day-to-day basis.

Are you part of the new morning show? Rinty may have not tried to argue every interview but he was almost always on point and did his homework....oh and is obviously very passionate about sports. 3 things that this new morning show is seriously lacking.

No, but if it's an argument of who's more obsessed with the topic, i'm not the one defending those who have been fired and/or replaced in the slot. I'm assuming they were fired and/or replaced for a reason.

I did not imagine Bro coming in and blowing socks off everyone with his sports knowledge. Nor did i expect Pratt and Bro to be an instantly-loved success, esp. since Pratt was canned for sheer arrogance.

But i expected experienced radio personalities coming in and taking over from the canned personalities decently enough to tolerate during my morning commute.

I find them to be less annoying than the previous group, certainly, with highlights of entertainment and cheap lolz thrown in. Their interviews are fine. The commentary is fine. The 'sports knowledge' is a work in progress, but it's not as infuriating as the misinformation coming from 'Gaborik bought a house in Vancouver.'

So i'll live with the change. If you want Canucks, Lions or Whitecaps talk at all in the morning, what else is there to listen to? (No really, are there any alternatives? I'd like to know.)

Pratt is lazy and shows no signs of show prep. I think his schtick about bike lines is just like his adios muchacho line. He wants to be known for having a tough stance on something so brings it up to no end. What a complete dude! High five, The Roxy, clubbin', poker, rock n roll, days at the crazy CFOX,etc. Nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster as Dr. Evil once said. Now, if you wanna talk about Dan Russell and circus time and eating on the air....

Dave Pratt...omg! Old and tired. I'm glad he's making an ass of himself with his Ovi bashing. This will just expedite his re-firing. It appears the only person who doesn't get it is old man Pratt. Ray ferraro said on air during the Caps game that its no big deal. He sadi Ovi was realaxing, just sitting in a comfy chair...not flying the plane :lol: Eddie O said he has zero problem with what Ovi did and as a teamamte would said good job Alex. Now Pratt is making things up like saying that Crosby didnt go light the torch in Greece cause he 's committed to his team...what?! LOL

Pratt is embarrassing himself. If his idea of getting people worked up is by making a fool of himself, then go ahead old man. I actually dont mind Bro Jake, its something different in the morning, but I'm only still listening to hear old man Pratt make a fool of himself and dig himself into a hole every morning.

*NOTE TO DAVID PRATT*

We are laughing at you old man, not with you :lol:

No, but if it's an argument of who's more obsessed with the topic, i'm not the one defending those who have been fired and/or replaced in the slot. I'm assuming they were fired and/or replaced for a reason.

I did not imagine Bro coming in and blowing socks off everyone with his sports knowledge. Nor did i expect Pratt and Bro to be an instantly-loved success, esp. since Pratt was canned for sheer arrogance.

But i expected experienced radio personalities coming in and taking over from the canned personalities decently enough to tolerate during my morning commute.

I find them to be less annoying than the previous group, certainly, with highlights of entertainment and cheap lolz thrown in. Their interviews are fine. The commentary is fine. The 'sports knowledge' is a work in progress, but it's not as infuriating as the misinformation coming from 'Gaborik bought a house in Vancouver.'

So i'll live with the change. If you want Canucks, Lions or Whitecaps talk at all in the morning, what else is there to listen to? (No really, are there any alternatives? I'd like to know.)

That's the whole problem...there aren't any alternatives. And my thirst for local coverage isn't quenched by those two at all. Entertainment, cheap lolz and fine interviews, really? Maybe it's because I listen all day and not just on a commute but I find myself regularily embarrassed that these two are representing Vancouver sports...especially when interviewing out of market personalities. And it's like a train wreck, I just can't turn it off....although another week of it and I'm thinking my dial will be turned onto Mike and Mike, I actually get some cheap lolz out of those two.

I'm guessing we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this.

It's pretty much a disaster. Bro seems to be trying, but he's just not into sports. Pratt is getting stuck on his rants.

His Ovechkin rant is pretty much the most stupid thing I've ever heard. As Olczyk said, he understood Pratt's point of view, but if the team has no problem with it, his teammate's have no problem with it. And as he said. If you were offered a chance to carry the Olympic torch for your country, you jump at it. Oh and Pratt by the way. You DO know that the NHL players are playing in Sochi right?

This from the guy talking about how hard professional poker is. As Don replied. "I put more effort in folding laundry!"

Yeah I'm not feeling it. These guys have terrible chemistry. Bro Jake is a major work in progress and Pratt is only good at the pregame and hot button issue hype. Frankly I've tuned out.

Rintoul was one of my favs...i miss his segment with Ferraro.

Really dissapointing choice by the team.

Pratt is just a poor broadcaster. I think he considers himself a throwback like Al Davidson who uesed to get things wrong all the time. But Al was an original whereas Pratt is so obviouslly forced. He used to claim he loved Seinfeld but had a feature called High Five at Five. Has he not seen the David Puddy episode? I rember seeing him as a hanger on all teh time at downtown clubs in the 90s like The Roxy with his man crush on the players and an also he check me out in my leaher 8 ball jacket (remember them?) with the sleeves rolled up and the boots.

I'm not a fan of Bro Jake. I don't mind Pratt though. Although I'd really prefer the old team of Scotty and Botch/Chapman.

What is really making me turn the dial is how often they go to five minute advertising spots. I know this is a business and they want to make money, but on a 45 minute drive to work I swear half the time I'm listening to commercial spots.

That makes me turn to 1410 or 980 and sometimes I never go back. Overall, I really feel this station has lost its way and I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to.

Note to 1040 people...I know you are lurking out there.

You lost another listener. I commute 3+ hours daily and don't hate it because I am a ravenous Canucks fan and generally keep it tuned to 1040 with the knob ripped off. At least that was the case until now. Thanks for ruining my morning commute with Bro Jake and the Assclown.

Pratt is one of the biggest assclowns on the planet. I just can't listen to him anymore. I gave it a few weeks...no more. He makes me angry and I don't like me when I'm angry. I will listen to ANYTHING else but the new morning show. I had to quit listening when he was with Taylor also.

Note to Pratt - NOBODY GIVES A FLYING F^!K ABOUT YOUR OPPINION ON BIKE LANES!!....or the Mayor. I live downtown Beotch, nobody cares, they are not an issue for anybody but you. Also, if you hate the mayor so much, run against him, otherwise shut the hell up. Again... NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION ON POLITICS. You are downright retarded with your ranting about OV, Kessel, or Toronto in general. You are a horible interviewer and so off base and rude, you really should be with the Fox and Friends morning show you yankee d!)Khead. You need to be fired....AGAIN....because you are a complete joke of a sports broadcaster. You suck at your job and you need to stop.

Bro Jake...meh. I can tell you are trying to make the best of being teamed up with a grade A arsehole.

Sorry for the rant, had to get that out.

I feel lighter now.

Archived