The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bro Jake & Team1040 - thoughts after a month?

nanaimo

They do talk about our teams on the Fan 590 quite often. But they also talk about all the Canadian teams. And they talk other sports. And they talk to people that work in other sports. And they talk to people that work in the business of other sports. And they talk to athletes who play or have played these other sports. And sometimes they just sit around taking shots at each other like buddies over a few cold ones.

If you're looking for all-Vancouver all the time then you won't get it at the Fan 590. I really enjoy listening to Tim & Sid in the mornings, and Primetime Sports with McCown in the afternoon.

It's pretty much a disaster. Bro seems to be trying, but he's just not into sports. Pratt is getting stuck on his rants.

His Ovechkin rant is pretty much the most stupid thing I've ever heard. As Olczyk said, he understood Pratt's point of view, but if the team has no problem with it, his teammate's have no problem with it. And as he said. If you were offered a chance to carry the Olympic torch for your country, you jump at it. Oh and Pratt by the way. You DO know that the NHL players are playing in Sochi right?

This from the guy talking about how hard professional poker is. As Don replied. "I put more effort in folding laundry!"

Pratt is a twit. I don 't mind Bro Jake in the morning. He at least has some wit and a sense of humour and at that time of day you don't really want to think too much anyways.

He is the only one in the whole world of hockey that believes Ovetchkin behaved badly by accepting the honour of carrying the torch to his home country even in having to get home 72 "measly" hours before the first game. That's 3 whole days! Enough time to get over jet lag and not be a detriment to your team mates, which he proved.

No one had even suggested that they were angry with Ovie over that until he brought it up. Like anyone would be upset if one or even both of the twins did the same if the Olympics were being held in Sweden, getting back 3 days before the season and in top shape. Like Ovie they are veterans, know what line they play on, are in great shape and their team mates would not only understand, but be happy for them.

If they are going the entertainment route for mornings I wish they'd have just gone all the way and never hired Pratt (I assume he is supposed to be the sports cred)

And the ongoing blacklisting of Squire Barns continues....he's not working for the right media conglomerate. I'd love to hear him have a radio show. Great mix of humour and knowledge.

Pratt is a twit. I don 't mind Bro Jake in the morning. He at least has some wit and a sense of humour and at that time of day you don't really want to think too much anyways.

He is the only one in the whole world of hockey that believes Ovetchkin behaved badly by accepting the honour of carrying the torch to his home country even in having to get home 72 "measly" hours before the first game. That's 3 whole days! Enough time to get over jet lag and not be a detriment to your team mates, which he proved.

No one had even suggested that they were angry with Ovie over that until he brought it up. Like anyone would be upset if one or even both of the twins did the same if the Olympics were being held in Sweden, getting back 3 days before the season and in top shape. Like Ovie they are veterans, know what line they play on, are in great shape and their team mates would not only understand, but be happy for them.

If they are going the entertainment route for mornings I wish they'd have just gone all the way and never hired Pratt (I assume he is supposed to be the sports cred)

And the ongoing blacklisting of Squire Barns continues....he's not working for the right media conglomerate. I'd love to hear him have a radio show. Great mix of humour and knowledge.

Good posts. But Pratt fro soem reason thinks he is a showman in rock n roll. So many times he compares his career to that of the rock n roll industry. I think he also doesn't care about Ovechkin and the torch, but is doing what he has in the past. Choosing any random situation and trying to take a stance to create controversy. To me his stances seem so scripted he comes off as a fool.

Squire and the Bro would actually make for a good show... I think yer on to something there.

Holy crap, Pratt just derailed ANOTHER interview by screeching about Ovechkin.

Yeah, I heard that this morning too. Every radio media personality they get on the phone he pathetically attempts to make him agree with him on his belief that Ovechkin was some kind of backstabber to his team mates by carrying the torch for his country. Of course the guest (I forget) did not agree. He's the embarrassment on that show. And that's saying a lot next to Bro Jake. I actually feel sorry for Jake having to deal with that egomaniac blowhard.

I like Squire, he was always a breath of fresh air on Angry Dan's Bitchfest.

Agreed. Whenever I somewhat accidentally-on-purpose dial over to 980 and he is on I listen. I like how Dan is somewhat intimidated by Squires earned stature in this town and has to painfully defer to Squire's point of view at times. Which doesn't mean he verbally agrees but he is silent and/or changes the subject which is the best he can do. Must be soooooooo difficult. He'd never do that with any of his turnstile young producers, least of all a caller.

Luckily he has Stephen Brunt on his show most days. Dave Naylor and Brunt are two of the best in the country.

I agree with this. They are the calibre of sports guys that's missing on the team.

Pratt is an idiot.

Jake is trying too hard to sound like a sports guy, but it's very obvious he's not. He constantly feels the need to reel off numbers and stats he's written down on paper, even when the conversation doesn't call for it.

It's not hard to tell that a lot of the guests on the Bro Jake show have no respect for Jake as a sports guy. Travis Lulay comes to mind. When Jake thanked him for filming the TEAM 1040 promo with him in the very first interview, Travis said he just showed up and did what the director told him to do.....ouch! And Travis has been icy with Jake ever since. Arron Ward doesnt seem be a big fan of Jake either. As well as a few others such as Darren Pang and Eddie O.

As for Pratt, it's obvious that he's the worst. Old, tired and played out. Cant wait till he gets re-fired....again.

I've only heard the show once...and I thought it was the "Howard Stern Show"...Bro Jake sounds like Howard Stern...!!!....Then Pratts voice comes in...wtf..?....Anyway,they were discussing their favorite movies,not talking sports much at all..All in all,it wasn't bad,it is completely different from the other hosts Taylor/Bmac,Sekeres /Price etc....It was more like talk show.

Archived