The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Toronto officially a better team than us now?

vcrguy

I really believe the Leafs are top contenders to win the East this year. They have scoring,grit and Bernier is going to be a great goalie.

Heck, last year the Leafs blew that game against the Bruins and lost a series they should have won. If they had held on they very well may have been in the Cup last year. But they weren't quite ready but I believe Bernier will make all the difference this year.

Bernier reminds me a lot of Schneider, both are great technical goalies.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernier play for Team Canada this year in the Olympics. He plays in the center of the universe now and if he continues to play well it will be hard to ignore him.

Bernier really outplayed Quick all last season but Quick is money in the playoffs and both are good.

18-1 to win the Cup right now. Great bet IMO.

Canucks have better defense & goaltending, better center depth, the Leafs have better winger depth.

When you break it down, winger depth is the only area in which the Leafs are better than us.

So no, I don't think they are officially better than us.

No they don't. Bernier is better than Luongo right now, he just hasn't had the chance to be a true #1 yet. Watch him. He is really good.

I don't think this is something you look at and say "oh it's only 2 games in."

Last year, all my friends etc thought the leafs wouldn't make the playoffs, but I said they would.

Leafs imo are better right now than us.

Actually the leafs are 3 games in and are 3-0. That is despite the fact Clarkson hasn't even played yet. Bernier makes the Leafs a true contender in the East this year. The Goalie Controversy in Toronto just ended tonight.

Toronto is pretty solid down the middle. Obviously Sedin is better than Bozak, but I'd take Kadri's ability to create offence over Kesler's typical predictable move where he cuts through the D and shoots at the goalies' crest anyday. And of course where we have fringe nhl centres in the bottom 6, the leafs have Bolland who is better than Santorelli and Richardson combined. Their winger depth is hands down better than ours. No competition there. Defence is kind of a toss up. You never know when casual Kev or sloppy Eddie will make their appearance, but at the same time dumbass Phaneuf makes stupid decisions. Obviously the trolls will still make fun of the leafs, but an unbiased hockey fan will see that they're on the up and up and could very well have a long playoff run

Toronto is pretty solid down the middle. Obviously Sedin is better than Bozak, but I'd take Kadri's ability to create offence over Kesler's typical predictable move where he cuts through the D and shoots at the goalies' crest anyday. And of course where we have fringe nhl centres in the bottom 6, the leafs have Bolland who is better than Santorelli and Richardson combined. Their winger depth is hands down better than ours. No competition there. Defence is kind of a toss up. You never know when casual Kev or sloppy Eddie will make their appearance, but at the same time dumbass Phaneuf makes stupid decisions. Obviously the trolls will still make fun of the leafs, but an unbiased hockey fan will see that they're on the up and up and could very well have a long playoff run

I guess you missed Kes' snipe show, I'd take Kesler over Kadri any day even with his injuries. Kesler is better offensively considering he plays in the west, and his defence shreds Kadri's.

I think potentially Van can get better point production from their D then Toronto. Garrison finally gets a shot on the PP, and Edler isn't too shabby although predictable.

I don't see them beating teams like Detroit, Boston, Pitt, or even NY come playoffs. Although same could be said of Van against any California team given the last couple playoffs. And the always deadly Chicago. Guess we'll have to wait and see who is Canada's best cup contender.

As of now, I would say no. They're vastly unproven. They had one good short season (notwithstanding the massive choke in game 7). The thing is though, they always start the season well and then fall apart in the home stretch. last year, the was no home stretch because of the short season. there's no way to know if they would have made the playoffs in an 82 game schedule.

So I'm going to say no, primarily because their defense and goaltending is unproven, and they tend to run out of gas after new years.

That being said, for the several people in this thread having a minor freakout at even the thought of the Maple Leafs being better than the Canucks: you better start getting used to it. they're on the upswing, and the Canucks are not. I think they still have work to do, but it won't take too long for them to catch up and overtake the Canucks if this trend continues.

No. The Leafs are not better than us nor will they be in the future IMO. They're a team filled with overpaid overrated forwards with a couple of studs mixed in.

TBH, that quote better describes Montreal than it does Toronto

I think so.

Top notch offensive players in Kessel, Lupul, van Riemsdyk, Kadri.

Toughness and grit in Clarkson, McLaren, Orr, Phaneuf, Fraser

Excellent defensive players in Bozak, Bolland, McClement, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Ranger

Stellar offensive defenseman in Phaneuf, Gardiner and Franson

Two young goalies on the upside of their career in Bernier and Reimer.

They got all the right pieces, just need to click. Luckily they are a young team and will only keep on improving. Could see a cup in 2-3 years.

You're kidding?

OK assuming all of those players WERE those kinds of players (JVR top notch offensive talent? Shade below Booth).

At the end of the season Phaneuf needs an extension and Kessel's kicks in.

Half of those guys are gone. End that run fast didn't it?

Just so we are clear, at the end of the season Toronto runs into that issue called cap control.

Kessels extension kicks in and Phanuef and 4 other guys on the blue line need extensions. Raymond has no contract and neither does Bolland. As for Fraser and Maclaren....

They MIGHT be a comparable team to us right now, MIGHT but they cannot keep it all together so at seasons end...who cares.

This is your third Tor is better than us page in the last while VCR, new material please

Their bottom six is way better than ours.... But that's about it.

They aren't a bad team. And I hate to say it but, they will be contenders soon.

Their top 6 is solid for the most part, Bozak is not a first liner, but his chemistry with Kessel makes up for that. If Clarkson manages to score around the 50-60 point range they will be fine.

They're 3 and 0. They don't have their # 1 free agent signing playing yet and Bernier has looked good when he's played.

Vancouver did nothing but sign a 4th liner in the off season and lost yet another game to SJ in the season opener.

I actually believe the Leafs are a legit cup contender and would beat Vancouver in a 7 game playoff series.

Didn't know Clarkson was an elite player and I bet you think that Bernier will win the Vezina now. Relax dude, we haven't even reached the 5 game mark yet in a 82 game season. Canucks start slow and end strong and it has always been that way. Its now how you start, its how you finish and the Canucks want to finish strong with a cup at the end. The Leafs winning 3 games doesn't make them a cup contender, especially with that garbage defense of theirs.

Archived