The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Toronto officially a better team than us now?

vcrguy

As of now, I would say no. They're vastly unproven. They had one good short season (notwithstanding the massive choke in game 7). The thing is though, they always start the season well and then fall apart in the home stretch. last year, the was no home stretch because of the short season. there's no way to know if they would have made the playoffs in an 82 game schedule.

So I'm going to say no, primarily because their defense and goaltending is unproven, and they tend to run out of gas after new years.

That being said, for the several people in this thread having a minor freakout at even the thought of the Maple Leafs being better than the Canucks: you better start getting used to it. they're on the upswing, and the Canucks are not. I think they still have work to do, but it won't take too long for them to catch up and overtake the Canucks if this trend continues.

How many chokes have we had in the playoffs? I've lost count. At least they pushed the Bruins to 7 games while we got swept by a much lesser team that chokes even more than us.

I guess you missed Kes' snipe show, I'd take Kesler over Kadri any day even with his injuries. Kesler is better offensively considering he plays in the west, and his defence shreds Kadri's.

I think potentially Van can get better point production from their D then Toronto. Garrison finally gets a shot on the PP, and Edler isn't too shabby although predictable.

I don't see them beating teams like Detroit, Boston, Pitt, or even NY come playoffs. Although same could be said of Van against any California team given the last couple playoffs. And the always deadly Chicago. Guess we'll have to wait and see who is Canada's best cup contender.

Hardly a snipe considering dubnyk was in the net. Put a competent goalie in the net and that doesn't go in. Kadri is way more creative than Kesler offensively. He's able to utilize his linemates whil Kesler just shoots it when he enters the zone. Kesler's better defensively, but that's where you have to decide what's more important for a second liner. I chose offense everyday of the week

Hardly a snipe considering dubnyk was in the net. Put a competent goalie in the net and that doesn't go in. Kadri is way more creative than Kesler offensively. He's able to utilize his linemates whil Kesler just shoots it when he enters the zone. Kesler's better defensively, but that's where you have to decide what's more important for a second liner. I chose offense everyday of the week

Kesler won the Selke and brought the team to the finals by winning the Nashville series all by himself. Whats up?

/thread

They still struggle defensively, and their goaltending has to last for 82+ games. Their best forward is also streaky. That said, they could make some noise and do have the talent offensively to make a run.

He shot that puck from pretty much from the blueline through two players just inside the post, pretty much describes a snipe. I'd opt to shoot more when my wingers are 3rd/4th liners. Kes has never really had wingers worth passing too. We'll compare them when Kadri proves he's a decent 2nd liner when it counts, in the playoffs.

As of now, I would say no. They're vastly unproven. They had one good short season (notwithstanding the massive choke in game 7). The thing is though, they always start the season well and then fall apart in the home stretch. last year, the was no home stretch because of the short season. there's no way to know if they would have made the playoffs in an 82 game schedule.

So I'm going to say no, primarily because their defense and goaltending is unproven, and they tend to run out of gas after new years.

That being said, for the several people in this thread having a minor freakout at even the thought of the Maple Leafs being better than the Canucks: you better start getting used to it. they're on the upswing, and the Canucks are not. I think they still have work to do, but it won't take too long for them to catch up and overtake the Canucks if this trend continues.

That choke was on such an epic scale, it hints at just how lucky TO got by getting that far. Measurements like PDO for that team were off the charts. They were lucky by every definition.

On the Canucks side, these guys play different this year. They still play with 2010-11 energy but last night showed how much they're gaining control over the momentum flows of the game which has always been their glaring weakness. What could have crushed us for 60 minutes (Perron's goal) barely phased them. Scoring on a breakaway short handed just puts an exclamation mark on that point. They're not 100% in that area yet but they really are improving by leaps and bounds. Even as Edmonton was trying to claw back momentum in the third, I remember we must have won 20 puck battles along the boards in a row and it didn't matter if it was a Sedin, Hammer or Weise It was insane.

My money goes on this year's Canucks over the Leafs every time.

I get what you're saying but you also have to remember Kadri has yet to play well over a full season. If he produces this year like he did last year, then it's a different story.

Archived