The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Toronto officially a better team than us now?

vcrguy

As of today:

Toronto 6 pts

Vancouver 2 pts

Yes, officially, the Leafs are better than us as of now.

But its 2 or 3 games into the season!!!!

I think we should at least wait 20 games in (with a new coach and system) to decide if we are playing better, which would be much more important than officially better at this point in the season.

Wayyy too early! But are the Leafs now suddenly built for long term success??

I question it..they have some great d prospects but aside from that,I will still question them much like i do to the Canucks

Are they built for long term success?

Well as of now they're $60k below the cap with a 24 man roster.

As of next season they've an 11 man roster worth $46 million and they're best role players will all need raises including 5 of 6 defencemen.

So....ya no.

Raymond Bolland Franson Fraser McLaren Phaneuf Kulemin etc etc etc all due for UFA or RFA status. And as of now they have nowhere near the cap space to sign-re-sign pretty much any of these guys.

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

He shot that puck from pretty much from the blueline through two players just inside the post, pretty much describes a snipe. I'd opt to shoot more when my wingers are 3rd/4th liners. Kes has never really had wingers worth passing too. We'll compare them when Kadri proves he's a decent 2nd liner when it counts, in the playoffs.

Yep always the wingers' fault never Kesler. Raymond seems to be thriving without puck hog Kes right about now

zomg best team in da league zomg zomg zomg 82-0 season coming parade on Yonge st!!!!!

*wipes tear of laughter from eye*

I recal they started a season recently like 8-2 or something and still finished bottom 5 in the league. not a telling point 2 games in.

The OP's question was Is Toronto officially better than the Cancuks now. I linked the official standings. They are. Although I found your post amusing, what does it have to do with the OP's question? No one asked about last season. No one said anything about a parade.

Relax Canuck fan, your insecurities are showing.

The OP's question was Is Toronto officially better than the Cancuks now. I linked the official standings. They are. Although I found your post amusing, what does it have to do with the OP's question? No one asked about last season. No one said anything about a parade.

Get back to us if those standing are still about the same around Christmas break.

Actually The OP's question was yet another attempt at trolling the forum. He has a habit of making these threads and then detailing why specific aspects of our system city team game etc are terrible in comparison to X

My comment was laughable because they are 3 games in have played two of those games against teams on the tail end of back to back games and have done neither in what one would consider decisive fashion.

Added I posted their current roster/cap situation and arguably not only are we the better team (still) but we are much better positioned moving forward with better forward and defensive depth as well as more viable prospects.

Toronto started a season on top of the standings a few seasons ago, they finished if I recall picking 2nd or 5th overall.

If one looks at the standings as is, we are equal to Florida, worse than the Jets and obviously worse off than the mighty mighty Coyotes.

I am not speaking of a 3 game sample size, on a whole the Canucks are better both on the ice and on paper than the Leafs, and that is without Schroeder and Kassian in the line up to boot.

Things may change, but 1 playoff berth and subsequent collapse in almost 10 years in a shortened season does not dictate the Leafs being a better team than our club as it stands.

This is not homerism or personal bias this is sad fact. Look at every aspect of both teams and moving forward it is not looking good for Nonis's Leafs

Clarkson is not a top 6 forward.....he not better than Booth Kadri is not that good They will return to reality when they are at the bottom of the standng

Booth has done absolutely nothing in 2 years for anyone to say he is better than this other NHL player. If we put him on waivers, I bet no one would pick him up.

This is not homerism or personal bias this is sad fact. Look at every aspect of both teams and moving forward it is not looking good for Nonis's Leafs

That's BS . Their team is young, they made the playoffs last year and are a better team this year, they got Franson for free so if they lose him it won't matter and they have Reilly/Gardner in the system. Their future is certainly brighter than ours. Is one of the symptoms of "Canuck homerism" is that you cannot admit the Maple Leafs are a good team?

Their top 6 is solid for the most part, Bozak is not a first liner, but his chemistry with Kessel makes up for that.

Says the guy who clearly has never watched a Leafs game.

Bozak and Kessel have no chemistry, it's a parasitic relationship

KesselBozakPoints.png

That's BS . Their team is young, they made the playoffs last year and are a better team this year, they got Franson for free so if they lose him it won't matter and they have Reilly/Gardner in the system. Their future is certainly brighter than ours. Is one of the symptoms of "Canuck homerism" is that you cannot admit the Maple Leafs are a good team?

Yes they made the playoffs. LAST YEAR

In a new division, Detroit AND Columbus in the east this year, Islanders and even Panthers have improved as have the Devils and canes.

Gardiner still isn't the same after his concussion Reilly is still super young and raw and losing Franson won't hurt? He WAS their blue line playoff performer last season.

Until this team can actually beat the Canucks, win their division or even win a playoff series I am sorry no they are not better than the Canucks.

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

Again check that out Tang, that little thing called the cap is going to devastate their team unless Nonis can sign better discount deals than anyone else in the league or the cap goes up by $8 million or more.

As well, they've fewer forward prospects than us as it stands and less genuine forward prospects. Once Reilly hits the bigs they don't even have a genuine D prospect either.

I am sorry, but in my opinion they do not have a better team than us right now, especially based on a 3 game sample size and they certainly are bleaker than us moving forward. That is a fact that is not bias or homerism.

When you have $60k worth of cap space and are needing to qualify or re-sign 5 of your 6 defence not to mention Bolland Kulemin Raymond Fraser McLaren and more, you are in the pits. Vancouver actually has a better roster situation moving forward under the cap so long as the twins don't get more than $7 million a year AAV.

Even IF we somehow end up at the cap because of Hamhuis Kassian and the twins we still have Corrado Shinkaruk Gaunce Horvat and Jensen to call up to fill those holes. And while they might not be genuine stars, neither at this time is Reilly or Gardiner.

Now to the meat of the matter, I am not saying the Leafs are not a good team, I am just saying as it stands I have not seen them do anything to prove they're a better team than the Canucks are.

I think so.

Top notch offensive players in Kessel, Lupul, van Riemsdyk, Kadri.

Toughness and grit in Clarkson, McLaren, Orr, Phaneuf, Fraser

Excellent defensive players in Bozak, Bolland, McClement, Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Ranger

Stellar offensive defenseman in Phaneuf, Gardiner and Franson

Two young goalies on the upside of their career in Bernier and Reimer.

They got all the right pieces, just need to click. Luckily they are a young team and will only keep on improving. Could see a cup in 2-3 years.

too bad they won't be able to keep Phaneuf and have to trade one of their goalies because of the cap

Their defense is solid offensively but struggle defensively, Bernier hasn't played a full season at this level, Kessel usually goes cold for 10-11 games, Bozak would be a third line on every playoff contending team,

our top 6 is great both ways unlike theirs

our top 6 is better then all of their forwards Daniel Henrik Kesler Burrows Hansen Higgins Booth> Kessel Clarksson JVR Bolland

No. The Leafs are not better than us nor will they be in the future IMO. They're a team filled with overpaid overrated forwards with a couple of studs mixed in.

Wait ! Don't we have an overpaid overrated forward as well in Ryan Kesler ?At least the last 2 seasons and the beginning of this season says so.

Archived