The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Toronto officially a better team than us now?

vcrguy

I hate to say it but all the Canucks do have is the Sedins! They take below market contracts, dominate games, don't create bad headlines and play their butts off.

I think the Sedins will re-up their contracts for after this season, but if they don't, I actually think the Canucks will be a bottom tier team in the league.

And if Luongo asks out after this year, which is a definite possibility, just call us Calgary West and we should go into full rebuilding mode.

I hate to say it but all the Canucks do have is the Sedins! They take below market contracts, dominate games, don't create bad headlines and play their butts off.

I think the Sedins will re-up their contracts for after this season, but if they don't, I actually think the Canucks will be a bottom tier team in the league.

And if Luongo asks out after this year, which is a definite possibility, just call us Calgary West and we should go into full rebuilding mode.

Luongo doesn't have a choice unless he retires

Wellwood's an ex-Canuck too, or did you forget about that.

And Kessel's contract isn't that bad when you consider MG offered an old Sundin 10M per year many years ago!

Just because you want TO to be bad doesn't mean its going to happen. Hopefully at the 20 or 30 game mark reality sets in for you.

The Wellwood comment was in jest and yes I remember his time in Van. The Sundin contract was for two years not 8. Any suggestion that Sundin is comparable to Kessel I will leave for others to comment on.

The Laffers are a joke and have been for decades no matter how misdirected the TSN (Toronto Sports Network) expouses otherwise. As much as I like MayRay he is not the second coming of the Big M! Dion is not another Bobby Bond. TO fans had better pull their heads out and smell the coffee.

Where is Red Kelly and his inverted pyramids when you most need him?

They're 3 and 0. They don't have their # 1 free agent signing playing yet and Bernier has looked good when he's played.

Vancouver did nothing but sign a 4th liner in the off season and lost yet another game to SJ in the season opener.

I actually believe the Leafs are a legit cup contender and would beat Vancouver in a 7 game playoff series.

Not even 10 games into a season and you come to this conclusion?

if they're not better than the Canucks yet, they will be soon

Dave Nonis >>>> Mike Gillis

Justify that, please.

Was it getting Isbister, Sanderson, Rucinsky or Carney? Thinking we'd turn or constant missing of the playoffs and loser seasons around with Fabian?

Burke is alright but Nonis is terrible.

If anyone believes the Leafs are better than us, maybe they should just go ahead and cheer for them since their bias is getting in the way. Not a single neutral fan thinks the Leafs are better than the Canucks at the moment.

Who has ever heard of a 'neutral fan' ?

The Leafs (so far) have played a much better game overall than in years previous. That doesn't make me a closet Leafs fan or anti-Canuck, I am just acknowledging what I have witnessed watching them play.

Jonathan Bernier has looked as solid as any goalie I have seen in the NHL this year. That alone will translate into more wins for the team.

Things can change as the season progresses, but I honestly could see the Leafs beating the Canucks in a regular season game.

The leafs are better. They can score. They have good golatending and they are still playing without their key free agent acquisition.

Yet they are 5-1.

I'm telling you folks I am a Canucks fan but the Leafs are better than us.

Also, go to playnow.com and the Leafs are 18-1 to win the cup. Considering they are one the best teams in the East and the fact they very well may have gone to the Cup last year if not for a third period meltdown, they are a GREAT BET at 18-1.

I was in Vegas recently and their odds there were only 10-1. 18-1 is a gift and it is only that because those in Ontario cant bet on it yet. Only people in BC, Manitoba and Quebec are allowed to bet online on that site.

The odds haven't changed since the start of the season but they will soon.

Collision Corsi

This year's test case for advanced stats in the NHL? It's the old-school Toronto Maple Leafs, so … great. We're sure everyone will be super chill about this.

http://www.grantland...-advanced-stats

Congratulations on posting an article that articulates what everyone with an internet connection and the remotest interest in the sport outside the Canucks already knew. Did Nonis bugger up big time this offseason? Yes. Do the Leafs have horrendous underlying numbers? Yes. But are we winning games? Damn right we are.

Right now we are getting the best goaltending in the NHL, and throughout the majority of last year we did as well, and that's what you need to win, goals and saves, not corsi.

I may be proven to be an idiot by the time April comes around, but we'll see who's laughing then.

It's an interesting topic. Following mainly the Canucks and Leafs as I do, it's been pretty fascinating over the past 3-5 years since they fall at such opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to stats emphasis, and I think this year and next will be the chance to really see how much each team's approach pays off.

They have a lot more forwards that can put the puck in the net. Kadri, Lupul Kessel and JVR are just point machines, backed with Raymond and Bolland putting up steady and strong depth production, they have the ability to outscore their problems.

Defense sucks though, and not sure on Bernier yet.

Archived