53 replies to this topic

#31 Maverick

Maverick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

Yes it costs a lot of money for a ticket to the game, but the team sells out all their games so can't blame mangement there. I don't quite follow how some people say it costs hundreds of dollars + ticket to go to a Canucks game. I usually drive in, so say $18 for gas, $ 20 for parking. $30 for food, ahead of game. So that's basically $70 on top of a ticket. If I go out to a bar/resturatnt to watch the game, it's easy $50-60 for food and drinks. So really, it doesn't cost me that much more to go see it live, not counting the obvious ticket price, which is a result of supply & demand. Home is even cheaper, and no lineup for bathroom or waiting for food/refills =p but the atmosphere is a bit quieter too, lol

#32 iinatcc

iinatcc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

It's better being a Canucks fan if you don't live in Vancouver I guess. I remember I spent $45 for Lowerbowl seats for a Canucks game at St Louis (of course now the cost of that is being spammed by St. Louis Blues update in your email :P ).

#33 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

It's better being a Canucks fan if you don't live in Vancouver I guess. I remember I spent $45 for Lowerbowl seats for a Canucks game at St Louis (of course now the cost of that is being spammed by St. Louis Blues update in your email :P ).

I agree, but there is nothing like watching your team at their home rink. My buddy has season tickets for Buffalo and a pair of tickets for the game on the 17th is costing me $110. However, 2 years ago we went to Montreal to see the Canucks and we had to sit apart from each other in the lower bowl tickets were $120. We looked for this year and those same tickets are now $159 for a single. Ottawa has reasonable ticket prices when the Canucks are playing, but it's also 6 1/2 hours away. Seeing how the NHL has choosen to bring the Canucks to Ott/Buf/ and Mont on seperate road trips it doesn't work to plan a road trip. We don't even consider going to Toronto.

#34 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

The cost of being a Canucks fan?

My sanity.

Yeah I thought this was going to be about the emotional cost and I've been a fan since day one. I've already paid my dues, thank you.

#35 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Every game is on tv, so they can charge the rich whatever they want, to go to games.

crap ain't changing any time soon, not in this market.

Save your money, people.

#36 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,718 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Nice, I saw the Canucks' last game at the Forum in Montreal for $20. I used to go on road trips to see the Canucks all the time when I lived back east but I stopped after they signed Messier :sadno: I still watched most of the games and I usually caught at least the last home game of the year but my enthusiasm was somewhat diminished when he was here.

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#37 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

I honestly don't get ticket brokers whining...what the hell do they do? Mark up prices for the rest of us by reselling? I'm happy when they're stuck with them....shouldn't be a middle man in this anyhow.

They must be loosing their shirts. Even the game for Montreal in a week isn't even sold out yet. As much as ownership likes bragging about sell outs they probably would be happier risking having a few tickets unsold each week if it means they don't hand over profits to anyone else.

#38 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Or you can live in the city and get seasons tickets. Row 2 in the upper bowl is good enough seat for me. Under sixty bucks a game. As long as they don't screw over the seasons ticket holders.....

#39 bongo4420

bongo4420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Supply and demand.

Basic economics boys and girls.

You're right, the Canuck's are going to find out some hard lessons about supply and demand. The sell out streak is a sham used by Aqullnni to fool people into believing they're still in high demand. This allows them to continue to raise prices while demand falls. Right now it's profitable because they can make more off artificially higher prices than it costs them to buy the hundreds (maybe even thousands?), of unsold tickets.

Let's be honest they had to liquidate thousands upon thousands of PLAYOFF tickets last year. You could buy pairs of tickets off Ticketmaster for the home opener on game day. Did the game sell out or did Aquilinni buy the unsold tickets? These are big time games. Do you really think a Wednesday night game against Columbus gets sold out when it costs people $600 to go?

The season ticket waiting list is decreasing faster than ever and people on the waiting list are passing on the opportunity they've waited years for. Most people are dealing with a faltering economy, see a team on the decline and perpetually increasing ticket costs. To top it off people can't sell their tickets on the secondary market to offset costs since face value is so high and demand is so low. Supply and demand is about to kick the Canuck's in the face.

To add insult to injury despite charging league high prices Aquilinni won't spend whatever it takes to win, as evidenced by the Luongo situation. That's typical of the Canucks short sighted, gouge at all costs, thinking. That move will cost him far more in the long term.

#40 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,536 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

You're right, the Canuck's are going to find out some hard lessons about supply and demand. The sell out streak is a sham used by Aqullnni to fool people into believing they're still in high demand. This allows them to continue to raise prices while demand falls. Right now it's profitable because they can make more off artificially higher prices than it costs them to buy the hundreds (maybe even thousands?), of unsold tickets.

Let's be honest they had to liquidate thousands upon thousands of PLAYOFF tickets last year. You could buy pairs of tickets off Ticketmaster for the home opener on game day. Did the game sell out or did Aquilinni buy the unsold tickets? These are big time games. Do you really think a Wednesday night game against Columbus gets sold out when it costs people $600 to go?

The season ticket waiting list is decreasing faster than ever and people on the waiting list are passing on the opportunity they've waited years for. Most people are dealing with a faltering economy, see a team on the decline and perpetually increasing ticket costs. To top it off people can't sell their tickets on the secondary market to offset costs since face value is so high and demand is so low. Supply and demand is about to kick the Canuck's in the face.

To add insult to injury despite charging league high prices Aquilinni won't spend whatever it takes to win, as evidenced by the Luongo situation. That's typical of the Canucks short sighted, gouge at all costs, thinking. That move will cost him far more in the long term.

I agree. I don't suspect there will be much in a rise in seasons ticket costs. God forbid we have some sort of large economic setback in BC (which we tend to have every couple decades no matter what in our frequently bubbly commodity based economy) and then they will find out why once upon a time the team was in danger of moving the ticket revenue had fallen so low.

#41 Molli

Molli

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I feel like the people here don't know how to be frugal. I'm going to the game tomorrow, paid $55 per ticket. Carpooling with a friend, coming from Seattle, about $20 per person for the commute. Skytrain, $5 total. Food? Costco. $1.50 hot dog and drink. Beer? Don't need alcohol to enjoy a hockey game.

$85 for a Canucks game. Less if you live in the lower mainland. Probably as low as $65. Lavish meals and 3 stadium beers aren't essential to the experience.
Posted Image

#42 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

The cost of being a Canucks fan?

My sanity.

Well said.

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#43 BringCanadaTheCup

BringCanadaTheCup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'd say a majority of the games are fairly cheap. I bought an ice pack and it averages to 65 dollars a ticket excluding the preseason game. I take the skytrain so I don't park and I get one beer max. The whole night for myself is 65 + 5.50 for skytrain both ways, and 8 bucks for a beer (thats the real killer, but it keeps ppl from getting drunk and gnarly at a game). Looking at 80 bucks max, which is not unfair because as someone said, if you go to a pub you are easily spending that much on food and drink.

The real problem is the disparity between prices for the less desirable games (CBJ, Phoenix, Buffao, Nashville, etc) vs the premium ones (Montreal, Toronto, Pitts, Boston) for those who don't have the option of buying as a season ticket holder. Boston wasn't part of my package, but I managed to get upperbowl seats for 80 bucks each. I go on craigslist and I see the same/comparable seats for 120-150$, which is way too much. There really is no way around this- premium games on the weekdn will always be more expensive, so just pick 1 or 2 to go to every year, and maybe pick a handful of cheap games you can get tickets to for 30-40 bucks each off craigslist. They do exist, I see on ebay tickets to NJ and SJ being sold for under 100 a pair. Just don't expect awesome seats.

#44 canucktican

canucktican

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

That's why I just go onto CDC during Gameday. I want to be with real Canuck fans anyway.

Posted Image

#45 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

it really should say the Cost for families or groups going to games those tickets will always be the highest while a single person like me can see most games with the single seat half price tickets below 100 dollars

i remember one year i went to 16 games the most i paid was 90 dollars can't remember the team but there was games against nashville and columbus i paid like 60 bucks was always sitting around the offensive line row 6-7 upperbowl greats seats

unfortunately not working right now due to medical reasons or else i would be looking for games to go when i was working i was averaging 5-6 games a year up until last year

Too bad we can't all be loners like you fruits, too bad...

#46 Bizarre

Bizarre

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

While I agree with a lot of what you said, the secondary market is not hurting as much as you're implying. STH discounts are large enough to offset the lower demand. There is also the fact every eastern team is coming at least once, so the demand for most games is going up. Generally speaking the tickets that don't sell are the ones that are ridiculously priced. 300 dollars a seat to sit row 15 in the lower bowl? I think not.

#47 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Canucks Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Supply and demand.

Basic economics boys and girls.

Its actually more just demand and maximizing profit by equating marginal revenue and marginal cost. But nice try.

#48 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Who else thought this would be a deep philosophical thread?

The cost of being a canucks fan for me? My mental well being.
Posted Image

#49 pianoman13

pianoman13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

So is our sellout streak broken??

No videos in sig please. 

#50 ConMar

ConMar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Who else thought this would be a deep philosophical thread?

The cost of being a canucks fan for me? My mental well being.

Your not alone lol. The cost of being a Canucks fan for me? Living in Kingston, many long nights watching the game + highlights after a win. Subsequently, a very tired individual going to work a few hours later.

#51 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

My hair!

#52 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

anyone know if ticketliquidator is a safe spot to buy tickets?

#53 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,680 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

there were a couple tickets left last night 70 bucks each for pairs and 83-90 bucks for triples their upper bowl high up corners but still very affordable

#54 Grapes-N-Canucks

Grapes-N-Canucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I live in Ohio, so it hasn't cost much yet. But, I want to take a trip out to Seattle to see some family and make my way up to see the Nucks. Sounds like I'll need some serious $$$!!! Late-

gallery_31769_149_31846.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.