The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Cost of Being a Canucks Fan

laxgoalie

(sorry if this has already been posted, I lazily looked over and couldn't find it)

Anywho I found this article pretty interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-fan-1.1914215

The Vancouver Canucks' home opener against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday marks the start of an expensive season for hockey fans.

The cheapest ticket on sale for the Canucks' home opener cost $97, but a night at Rogers Arena can end up costing hundreds of dollars.

Canucks fan Todd Miller spent nearly $700 to travel from the Okanagan and support his team. He says he loves the game but hates the cost.

"I know more than other people the cost of being a Canucks fan," he said.

"Unfortunately for families, it's probably priced them out of coming to the events like these, but for people like me, it's a once or twice a year experience."

Henry Baker of North Vancouver says he can't afford the $1000 it would cost to take his family of five to a game.

"That's why we came to go to the team store to look around and check out the atmosphere but it's too expensive. Especially when you got kids," he said.

The Canucks' away game in Calgary on Sunday and their next home game, against the New Jersey Devils, were slightly cheaper, with tickets costing around $60.

But it remains cheaper to be a fan of Vancouver's soccer or football teams instead.

Tickets for the Vancouver Whitecaps on Sunday cost only $28.26 and you can see a BC Lions game next week for only $32.

Kingsley Bailey of Vancouver Tickets sees the high cost of being a Canucks fan taking its toll, with many tickets for the opening game going unsold.

Bailey believes the owners know the fans will pay whatever it takes to go to the game.

"They got us right where they want us," he said.

"They know if you want to be a fan of the Vancouver Canucks...they've got you. I see so many fans that come in from the outer reaches of the province."

Bailey says many tickets this weekend did not even go to Canucks fans, instead being bought up by Saskatchewan Roughrider fans in town for Friday's game against the BC Lions.

Was at the Flames home opener tonight to see the Canucks. $230.00 a ticket for fourth row right by the 'Nucks bench. Plus another $85 for souvenirs and food. So almost $550 for my wife and I to go and cheer on the guys. It's expensive and we all know it, but the owners will keep charging it because we keep paying. Usually we get press level bleeders for $50 a pop but once or twice a year it's nice to get down to the lower bowl. With a big family I could easily see those seats being out of reach but upper second deck shouldn't be too bad, around $100 a ticket, good for a once a year experience.

Yes it costs a lot of money for a ticket to the game, but the team sells out all their games so can't blame mangement there. I don't quite follow how some people say it costs hundreds of dollars + ticket to go to a Canucks game. I usually drive in, so say $18 for gas, $ 20 for parking. $30 for food, ahead of game. So that's basically $70 on top of a ticket. If I go out to a bar/resturatnt to watch the game, it's easy $50-60 for food and drinks. So really, it doesn't cost me that much more to go see it live, not counting the obvious ticket price, which is a result of supply & demand. Home is even cheaper, and no lineup for bathroom or waiting for food/refills =p but the atmosphere is a bit quieter too, lol

You're right, the Canuck's are going to find out some hard lessons about supply and demand. The sell out streak is a sham used by Aqullnni to fool people into believing they're still in high demand. This allows them to continue to raise prices while demand falls. Right now it's profitable because they can make more off artificially higher prices than it costs them to buy the hundreds (maybe even thousands?), of unsold tickets.

Let's be honest they had to liquidate thousands upon thousands of PLAYOFF tickets last year. You could buy pairs of tickets off Ticketmaster for the home opener on game day. Did the game sell out or did Aquilinni buy the unsold tickets? These are big time games. Do you really think a Wednesday night game against Columbus gets sold out when it costs people $600 to go?

The season ticket waiting list is decreasing faster than ever and people on the waiting list are passing on the opportunity they've waited years for. Most people are dealing with a faltering economy, see a team on the decline and perpetually increasing ticket costs. To top it off people can't sell their tickets on the secondary market to offset costs since face value is so high and demand is so low. Supply and demand is about to kick the Canuck's in the face.

To add insult to injury despite charging league high prices Aquilinni won't spend whatever it takes to win, as evidenced by the Luongo situation. That's typical of the Canucks short sighted, gouge at all costs, thinking. That move will cost him far more in the long term.

Archived