The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Lines, Kassian.

Nigerian

With seeing the sedins last night split up for the first time under torts, I think we all should expect to see more of that coming especially when there is no outcome from our first line. I liked what I saw from the higgins-henrik-santorelli line and if there were an eventual daniel-kesler-burrows/booth/kassian line I think our offense would be a lot more balanced. I like the way torts is playing our superstars on the PK as well as splitting them up so early in the season. I think the sedins should only be paired up on the powerplay. Extremely talented of course but they are becoming to predictable which is starting to effect their play in the Offensive zone.

With Kassian coming back this weekend against Montreal, I was doing a little research on his stats with his split up time in the nhl. We all know and want the type of player kassian could be and most of us bash him for not breaking out last year at only 22 years old. He has played only 83 games in his time spent in the nhl, basically one full season, and has put up 21 points at the nhl level. As a power forward at such a young age, not to forget the pressure of vancouvers media and fan base, I think he has done well for himself and is obviously still learning. Many reports and interviews indicated that the kid is determined to make a difference this upcoming season with the increased training workload he put on this off season. With a full season, minus the suspension, I have high expectations for kassian and expect no less that 40points out of the kid.

Kassian will get to play wherever he earns a spot. Torts is already showing (Hamhuis benched, 4th line player in OT) that he rewards those who are performing and executing. I love it! It really builds the team when everyone knows they are truly accountable to the coach and each-other and will be recognized for their efforts. Kassian will be given a chance in the top 6 but if he isn't getting it done, he could be bottom 6 or even sent down. It's up to him.

Kassian doesn't have the offensive upside that fans expect from him. He could one day be a second line PWF but he has not yet earned the right to be there. Players like Burrows and Kesler are prime examples of how youth has to move their way up the lineup. Tortorella will exploit Kassians low give a sh*t work ethic and he'll be in the doghouse until he can bring a complete game night in and night out.

Ideally, Kassian would be paired with a playmaking center to have success, like Lucic with Krejci. Which Kesler is not. He is not good enough defensively to be on a 3rd shutdown line.

Therefore, best spot is with the Sedins, however with Burrows and Hansen playing well with them, Kassian has to play rock solid to earn that spot. Kind of a tricky situation.

The team is betetr with Kassian playing with the Sedins, there's just not a significant enough drop off between him and Burrows/Hansen on the 1st line. The Sedins have the puck on their sticks most of the time anyways.

However, I believe there's a greater drop off between Kassian and Burrows/Hansen on the 2nd/3rd lines. Burrows has the best chemistry with Kesler on the team and Hansen is an absolute beast on the 3rd line. Probably the best 3rd liner in hockey.

Kassian will get to play wherever he earns a spot. Torts is already showing (Hamhuis benched, 4th line player in OT) that he rewards those who are performing and executing. I love it! It really builds the team when everyone knows they are truly accountable to the coach and each-other and will be recognized for their efforts. Kassian will be given a chance in the top 6 but if he isn't getting it done, he could be bottom 6 or even sent down. It's up to him.

All the line-building is still a work-in-progress. I'd say it's too early to definitively say where each player goes. We can't even say for sure, yet, that the Sedins will or will not be split up.

At the moment, I would not consider Kassian a top 6 player. He's done nothing to prove himself. When Burrows and Schroeder come back, he has them, Hansen, and Booth to contend with for the available top 6 spots.

If we are still scoring lots of goals by the time Kassian gets back then I saw ease him in. Start him off on the third line and as soon as the offense dries up we put him with the Sedins.

Eventually I think the line up should look like this when Burrows gets back.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Santorelli - Booth

Dalpe - Richardson - Weise

That second line could be the best shutdown line in the NHL while still putting up points.

Archived