The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey in Utica....again

Utica Fan

Not sure if this belongs in this blog, but, it is hockey related.

How's this for hockey fever in Utica: It was announced this morning that our own Utica College Pioneers (Division 3 college hockey team) have sold as many season tickets as the Comets. This college team has sold 1800 season tickets! Utica leads the nation in attendance for NCAA D3 hockey!

Just read that Abbotsford has a multi-game pack available for the Comets. Was this the 1st time they offered this or have they done this in the past for the Canucks AHL team? Glad to read that it will be like a home game for them. I see that we play them a bunch of times this year. Their assistant coach, Robbie Ftorek, was the head coach of the Utica Devil's, our last AHL team. Nice to see that he will be back here.

Just read that Abbotsford has a multi-game pack available for the Comets. Was this the 1st time they offered this or have they done this in the past for the Canucks AHL team? Glad to read that it will be like a home game for them. I see that we play them a bunch of times this year. Their assistant coach, Robbie Ftorek, was the head coach of the Utica Devil's, our last AHL team. Nice to see that he will be back here.

Pretty sure it started for this year.

Really looking forward to picking up a Comets shirt soon. And hopefully watching some games somehow someway? Anyone know if some of the games will be streamed online (legally through CDC or Utica)?

I believe the only legal streaming is a pay service through AHL Live. I don't think any of the teams stream themselves because of the contract that AHL Live has with the league.

Last year, our local cable tv company, Time Warner, televised many AHL games for New York teams. I got to watch Syracuse, Rochester and Binghamton games, live, from the comfort of my living room. I haven't heard or seen any info yet on this years televised schedule, but if I do, I'll pass it along. I'm sure these were streamed on-line as well.

Last year, our local cable tv company, Time Warner, televised many AHL games for New York teams. I got to watch Syracuse, Rochester and Binghamton games, live, from the comfort of my living room. I haven't heard or seen any info yet on this years televised schedule, but if I do, I'll pass it along. I'm sure these were streamed on-line as well.

who's your early favorite comet?

City and team officials say they "are estimating about 10,000 people to attend" pregame festivities. I will be more than happy to post some stories, pictures and videos of that day. I am trying to get the "tailgate party" started at noon. So looking forward to this! Gordie Howe, the Hanson Brothers, Night Ranger and Fireworks! Gonna be 1 heck of a home opener! Question for Canuck fans: What's will the reception be like for the Comets when they come up your way to Abbotsford? I'd like to know. Attached is a picture of us in line for opening day tix. I'm #1, 1st in line, with the Canucks Jersey on.

Welcome to Canucks Nation!

Use gotta be good fans waiting first in line; it makes it easier to cheer for our #1`support club when its fans are deliriously enthusiastic. A Canuck jersey in the Comets line says we're brotherhood!

How are you rating the season so far, and which prospects have impressed you the most? Corrado is my favorite Comet, and I'm curious how Dalpe will do...

Might want to distance yourself from the dude 3rd from the right in your pic, probably your brother in law. Three fashion faux pas in a Buffalo crest, lime green shoes but mostly the clashing baggy plaid pant shorts seemingly tied at the knee's. :frantic: My experience is guys like that always secretly cheer for the Oilers! :sick:

Cheers!

It's tough to say right now sense tonight will be the first opportunity to see them play on home ice. I think Archibald will likely be an early fan favorite as he looks like he plays with a lot of passion and he seems to be one of the guys that is comfortable on the camera for local news interviews.

It's tough to say right now sense tonight will be the first opportunity to see them play on home ice. I think Archibald will likely be an early fan favorite as he looks like he plays with a lot of passion and he seems to be one of the guys that is comfortable on the camera for local news interviews.

All the best to the Comets! I hope everybody enjoyed themselves at the Aud for the first game. The Aud looks like a great place to watch high calibre hockey - especially if you can get a packed house.

Early Comet favorite has got to be Alex Biega. Just a classy hard working kid. He appreciates the fans here in Utica (that's big with me). Last to leave the ice during warm ups. His head is on a swivel, he is always looking around him. Good "on-ice" sense. Trying to make plays. I think Vancouver fans will like him.

Use gotta be good fans waiting first in line; it makes it easier to cheer for our #1`support club when its fans are deliriously enthusiastic. A Canuck jersey in the Comets line says we're brotherhood!

How are you rating the season so far, and which prospects have impressed you the most? Corrado is my favorite Comet, and I'm curious how Dalpe will do...

Might want to distance yourself from the dude 3rd from the right in your pic, probably your brother in law. Three fashion faux pas in a Buffalo crest, lime green shoes but mostly the clashing baggy plaid pant shorts seemingly tied at the knee's. :frantic: My experience is guys like that always secretly cheer for the Oilers! :sick:

Cheers!

Trust me...everyone in that picture, except that woman (yack yack yack) are 100% Comets fans. We all were there before 5:30 am to get tickets.

Cheers!

Cheers!

So far, this season, despite the record, is incredible, from a fans standpoint. Win or lose, doesn't matter, we have the AHL back in Utica. We had 10,000 people turn out last night, for the home opener "Fan Fest". Says a lot about our community. We can see that this team is trying to build some chemistry. Coach is trying some different lines all the time. Our scheduled first 4 games was tough. There was a week off between games. That hurts. The guys are trying. I posted on the Comets thread that there are a few things I'd like to see from the Comets, as a fan, that will come with game experience. The 2 biggest I see, so far, are these: 1st) Stay out of the penalty box! The guys are taking way too many penalties. It's hard to find the right lines when your a man down. 2nd) Shoot the puck on goal! I'm all for fancy passes, but, when they're not working, you have to get shots on goal. They only had 2 shots on goal near the end of the 1st period last night. It was the home opener, I thought they would have put up more than that. They did put on pressure with 10 minutes to go in the game. Albany goalie made some big saves. Needed more of that pressure earlier. Building did get loud when we broke through and scored. But, by then, it was still too late. It's only been 4 games so I cant really judge them yet. It's exciting to watch this caliber of hockey again. I am impressed, really, by all the players, to be honest. I know all you Canuck fans are looking for good prospects to head your way. This is a young, but very talented group of guys. They just need to find something to make them "click" as a team. I can assure all Canuck fans out there of this: Once Coach finds what will make this team "click", you will hear one heck of a noise from your boys in Utica.

City and team officials say they "are estimating about 10,000 people to attend" pregame festivities. I will be more than happy to post some stories, pictures and videos of that day. I am trying to get the "tailgate party" started at noon. So looking forward to this! Gordie Howe, the Hanson Brothers, Night Ranger and Fireworks! Gonna be 1 heck of a home opener! Question for Canuck fans: What's will the reception be like for the Comets when they come up your way to Abbotsford? I'd like to know. Attached is a picture of us in line for opening day tix. I'm #1, 1st in line, with the Canucks Jersey on.

I'll tell you what the reception will be like for the Comets. The Abbotsford Arena will be full-up sold out...and the Comets will be the "home team". Abbotsford went to the Flames for their AHL affiliate and frankly...it's been a thorn in our side for far too long. So Utica will be the only team that I believe will have two "home" arenas. Canuck/Comets fans will outnumber Heat fans in that arena.

Archived