The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Kassian benefit from spending time in the AHL?

Junkyard Dog

It's like Sidhdartha. Herman Hesse. After a start to life with meditation, our young Buddha starts to do business, and is clearly superior to other businessmen, as he has higher ethics and thinks outside the box. Fast forward a few years, and the young Buddha is no better than any other businessman. You become what surrounds you, whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not.

Two games in and what have been Kassian's most noteable moments?

A fight and 3 hits tonight. No mistakes, solid positioning, strong board play, some very nice passes. Good showing in limited minutes playing with Schroeder, who also had a solid showing.

First game back against Montreal the other night - a shot, a big hit on Subban right after he had run Richardson, a blocked shot and a takeaway - no turnovers, no mistakes, solid defensive positioning.

For the most part, Kassian generates 'plusses' or positive events. He seems to be a player that folks expect to see constant, big, highly noticeable events out of, and if they don't they judge his performance as wanting. I've yet to really hear a representative criticism of his overall game. People make simpleton and vague claims like 'he looks lost out there', but ironically, Kassian is rarely anything resembling out of positon (or 'lost'). But it's no surprise when you actually watch his game that he's had pretty damn good underlying numbers in the NHL, particularly for such a young power forward - and that is not an easy accomplishment with a mere 80ish games of NHL experience.

He looked good playing with the Sedins last year, but that's a top line role that really calls for a veteran with a highly developed and complementary game like Burrows has. He also played very well with Booth and centered by Lapierre, but Lapierre was not going to result in a 20 goal season - his 7 in less than a half season is not bad considering the context. His role has varied significantly, and yet Kassian manages to adapt well to the different roles he has been used in - to suggest that he lacks hockey intelligence says as much about the person making that claim as it does Kassian. He actually stays within himself and doesn't make the common 'young' mistake of trying too hard to impress or force more than he's capable of out of situations that don't allow it.

I'm pretty impressed with his awareness as well- he sees the ice very well, he plays good positional defensive hockey, he skates exceptionally well for a man his size, he hits hard but doesn't run around losing focus of the other aspects of his game, he has very good hands, is very strong on the boards, has solid cycling ability, and for the most part limits risk very well. The part of his game that I'm probably most impressed with is his vision and passing, particularly in tight quarters in the offensive zone - he has shown the ability to find teammates and makes crisp, decisive passes, especially to the point from the corners and half boards. He obviously has the size and snarl to go to the hard areas and park himself in front of the net.

He's a rookie who hasn't really even settled in yet, or found a regular set of linemates or role. The team has been shifting his whole time here, with consistent injuries in the top 6 and 9. I could see him having a successful year playing a third line role on a line like Booth Schroeder Kassian, without the pressure and expectation to play 20 top 6 minutes and produce like a veteran. I'm not concerned about Kassian whatsoever - I think he's going to continue to gain confidence, use all the tools he was gifted with - and few players have that rounded of toolkit with size, speed, skill, vision, grit. He's got a lot of ways he can contribute, he'll continue to develop them, and he's certainly ready to continue to do so at the NHL level.

For all those who dismiss discussion topics they don't "like" on the basis of it being only 6 games (now 7) into the season - I gotta presume you aren't gonna be entirely irrational hypocrites and leap to conclusions about Kassian - good or bad - on the basis of only 2 games.

Just sayin'... ;)

Should have started in the AHL when we traded for him, and treated him like any other of our prospects. But instead he gets special treatment because of the trade, wheres none of our own drafted players get any shots. Kassian can play like crap and stay, but kids who show some potential and play great do not get that chance.

Just 5 minutes ago TSN That Hockey just said Canucks so lost the trade lol.

For all those who dismiss discussion topics they don't "like" on the basis of it being only 6 games (now 7) into the season - I gotta presume you aren't gonna be entirely irrational hypocrites and leap to conclusions about Kassian - good or bad - on the basis of only 2 games.

Just sayin'... ;)

I have to say I really like how Kassian used his big body to shield the puck, I like him on the 3rd unit last night... When he keeps that up on a consistent basis and gets some drive to the net he will be good. I think torts is going to be way better for his development than AV who doesn't talk to his players

I thought Kassian had a decent game against PHilly, or at least looked more effective that he did vs Montreal.

I noticed him using his body a few more times on the forecheck, and made a nice play in the 2nd period off the rush. Still a ways to go with him for this season, and for his career.

Im really glad that both Shinkaruk and Horvat get to play in Junior again this season, to spare them from being ripped apart by media and fans if they diddnt contribute as people hoped they would. Kassian will be fine, but IM still not sold on being a top line forward. I think that on a 2nd line with more skilled forwards would be a fertile ground for him to grow with, but right now, unless hes playing with the Sedins, its basically playing with grinders.

If we could make the cap space, (most likely by dumping Booth) Id like to see what Mike Camalleri could bring on a line with Kesler and Kassian. He would certainly help the PP out.... Wonder what the cost would be?

I have to say I really like how Kassian used his big body to shield the puck, I like him on the 3rd unit last night... When he keeps that up on a consistent basis and gets some drive to the net he will be good. I think torts is going to be way better for his development than AV who doesn't talk to his players

Archived