The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lappy just creamed Dan Boyle and sent him out on a stretcher

Risky play by Boyle there, knowing that a fairly decent hitter was bearing down on him he attempts some flaky play with the puck that even rookies know not to do without taking on huge risk. Not sure what exactly at the moment, but I'd expect something... Better... from Boyle there.

However, it was a bit dirty.

The Burns hit was really ugly. Between the two incidents, imo there was more intent here.

What might be even worse for Burns was that you could argue there was motive for retaliation.

I remember incidents from the past where the one who retaliates for dirty play with one of his own gets the book thrown at him.

Although I have no idea if Shanny and co. take that kind of thing into consideration anymore.

The NHL's approach to discipline has changed a great deal.

Problem is that guys are flinching a bit when they know someone's bearing down on them. Boyle was a little off balance, so it was worse than it likely should have been. But agreed, Lappy's rep will bring more of a suspension than the average Joe Thornton. Burns was worse/seemed more intentional.

Problem is that guys are flinching a bit when they know someone's bearing down on them. Boyle was a little off balance, so it was worse than it likely should have been. But agreed, Lappy's rep will bring more of a suspension than the average Joe Thornton. Burns was worse/seemed more intentional.

Archived