The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lappy just creamed Dan Boyle and sent him out on a stretcher

Boyle shouldn't have turned his back on the oncoming hit from Lappy. But with the amount of time he had, Lappy has to let up a bit more than that.

The Burns hit on the other hand is disgusting. Not to mention the apparent retaliatory nature of the hit.

But knowing the NHL

Lappy is given: 5-10games

Burns is given: a gold star

Lappy aint getting no benefit of the doubt on this

So I see Lappy getting a call, especially an in person hearing if they're taking his past history into account. It's a hit he can avoid or at least not give the extra push when the rest could have otherwise been called incidental contact after Boyle turns away at the end.

Burns not getting a call is bad from my view because he's always coming in to hit him regardless of if Morrow stops up to protect/play the puck. I see their point of the contact being initiated early, but Burns has to be aware of the angle he's coming in at and once he gives the shove and twist rather than just bracing himself he's hitting Morrow.

The Burns logic is the same I've applied to the Edler hit. Edler at the very least stops up to make contact with Hertl but needs to be aware that Hertl's head is low well before he does so. Morrow stops up in this case, but it isn't clear he even sees Burns from the angles I've seen. Burns has full view of him all the way in yet still does more than just make incidental contact on a player in a vulnerable position.

More an awkward hit than anything malicious. Boyle was in a terrible position but the NHL doesn't seem to think that the victim has any responsibility whatsoever. It's not Lapierre's fault he was in the position that he was. It's certainly a suspension, but I'd hope it isn't anything major.

Sharks fans have become unbearable on HFBoards with their whining.

Lappy's hit was bone-headed while Burnsy's was malicious.

If Lappy wasn't Lappy and just the average Joe he gets one game. Because he's Lappy precedent seems to be 3 games, add in a significant injury and bad optics for the league and I think he'll get 4-6 games.

Burns hit was just downright predatory. Morrow is a few feet from the boards facing them and this of course came after Lappy's hit and likely retaliatory. Burns' hit is exactly the type of play the NHL has been saying that want to get rid of. Add to that that Morrow left the game, so now you have injury, retaliatory and an illegal hit. Shanny better sack up and give him 5-10 because that could of been a lot worse than it turned out.

Both dirty plays... pretty disgusting but typical of this freaking league if Burns actually gets nothing.

For all the people defending Lappy that "Boyle was falling" etc... Even if he wasn't falling you don't hit a guy in the numbers, especially in to the boards. Dirty hit even if he was perfectly upright. It's just unfortunate that the falling likely made the play even worse from an injury standpoint.

Also, this is the crap why Gillis didn't resign Lappy. We don't need any additional negative media the guy fuels.

I know it's the 2013-14 season so we're all supposed to believe the conspiracy is in favor of the sharks but Burns doesn't deserve anything but a warning. As much as Boyle put himself in a bad position Lappy also was in the wrong. He should get 4-6 games. I'd think 4 because he has no real record to speak of.

Logan Couture should get 3 games for being a whiney *****.

I've been laughin for the last 10 minutes at the joke Brendan Shanahan is. Burns gets away with a malicious hit from behind and Lappy is gonna get suspended because Boyle was already going down before he got hit?

Wow, just wow :picard: Whatever respect I had for Shanahan is long gone now.

Both dirty plays... pretty disgusting but typical of this freaking league if Burns actually gets nothing.

For all the people defending Lappy that "Boyle was falling" etc... Even if he wasn't falling you don't hit a guy in the numbers, especially in to the boards. Dirty hit even if he was perfectly upright. It's just unfortunate that the falling likely made the play even worse from an injury standpoint.

Also, this is the crap why Gillis didn't resign Lappy. We don't need any additional negative media the guy fuels.

Archived