The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lappy just creamed Dan Boyle and sent him out on a stretcher

My question is when are players going to start taking more responsibility for their own safety? Too many times these days players are deliberately turning in to the boards and looking to draw a penalty. It's unfortunate what happened to Boyle but the way he stumbled just before the hit made it a lot worse. Burns looked intentional and I would presume his will get looked at too but with Shanaban who knows what will happen

Repeat offender or not.. Boyle was against the boards .. he got his bell rung cause his jaw hit. .. Burns hit is the kind that can break your neck AND it was deliberate. I think some perspective on intent and the severity of the offence is in order.. Not that it will make any difference to the NHL's wheel of justice.

Just a few thoughts:

The Lapierre hit definitely doesn't look good, but I would categorize it as a hit that went horribly wrong. There was some movement by Boyle that Lapierre did not have control over, and although Boyle is in a vulnerable position, there should be at least some responsibility on Boyle's part to be in position to expect contact as he was playing the puck.

I would expect Lapierre to be suspended, but the major reason why would have to do with the injury on the play. Had Boyle popped back up, I doubt there would have even been a penalty on the play.

Burns' 'hit' on Morrow is a completely different animal. He basically uses his shoulder to toss him pitchfork style into the boards. Morrow was not in possession of the puck, and he was also thrown awkwardly into the boards, so it's either interference or boarding, take your pick.

I would think that altercation to be more vicious, as Burns is engaging physical contact with a player without puck possession in the defensive zone. It makes it very difficult to argue that he did not intend to make that play on purpose.

I know that reputation may be a factor in both of these incidents, but Lapierre's hit was a hockey play at least, Burns had no reason to make the play he did, and it was extremely reckless.

The NHL should suspend both, but Burns should receive the longer suspension regardless of Lappy's reputation. Although both plays are the kind that could end careers, the play Burns made was absolutely unnecessary and illegal in every respect.

Lappy deserves maybe 1 game suspension because of the injury. But it's not as bad as what Smid did to Scheifele game 1.

He didn't stop, look at the back of his head and then cross check his head into the boards.

or this

Weber got nothing for this because there was no injury:

WeberZetterberg.gif

Just a few thoughts:

The Lapierre hit definitely doesn't look good, but I would categorize it as a hit that went horribly wrong. There was some movement by Boyle that Lapierre did not have control over, and although Boyle is in a vulnerable position, there should be at least some responsibility on Boyle's part to be in position to expect contact as he was playing the puck.

I would expect Lapierre to be suspended, but the major reason why would have to do with the injury on the play. Had Boyle popped back up, I doubt there would have even been a penalty on the play.

Burns' 'hit' on Morrow is a completely different animal. He basically uses his shoulder to toss him pitchfork style into the boards. Morrow was not in possession of the puck, and he was also thrown awkwardly into the boards, so it's either interference or boarding, take your pick.

I would think that altercation to be more vicious, as Burns is engaging physical contact with a player without puck possession in the defensive zone. It makes it very difficult to argue that he did not intend to make that play on purpose.

I know that reputation may be a factor in both of these incidents, but Lapierre's hit was a hockey play at least, Burns had no reason to make the play he did, and it was extremely reckless.

The NHL should suspend both, but Burns should receive the longer suspension regardless of Lappy's reputation. Although both plays are the kind that could end careers, the play Burns made was absolutely unnecessary and illegal in every respect.

Lappy deserves maybe 1 game suspension because of the injury. But it's not as bad as what Smid did to Scheifele game 1.

He didn't stop, look at the back of his head and then cross check his head into the boards.

or this

Weber got nothing for this because there was no injury:

WeberZetterberg.gif

Archived