167 replies to this topic

#91 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,003 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

Pavelski on Lapierre: ‘Things like that happen, especially when idiots are idiots’

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 16 October 2013 - 07:55 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#92 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

But you have to admit, the specter of eye-on-stiletto heel would haunt the cross dressing set for days. Wheel kick wouldn't work with heels.

Good point!

#93 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Lappy deserves maybe 1 game suspension because of the injury. But it's not as bad as what Smid did to Scheifele game 1.

He didn't stop, look at the back of his head and then cross check his head into the boards.

or this

Weber got nothing for this because there was no injury:

Posted Image

I think the bolded is the crux of why the NHL Dept of Player Safety is so damn inconsistent. You CANNOT be basing suspensions on injury, IMO. Intent (factoring previous happenings in the game that may have sparked the play) should be punished more than result since seemingly innocuous plays can result in serious injuries, while nasty looking plays can lead to no injury.

#94 Frazzy Desjardins

Frazzy Desjardins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

It seems as if these hits get worse and worse and more common all the time.

Prohibition doesnt work..

#95 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Pavelski on Lapierre: ‘Things like that happen, especially when idiots are idiots’

I thought Boyle's rookie-level play on the puck there was fairly idiotic. But hey, Lappy needs to sit out.

9jRgxTJ.gif

#96 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Burns hit on Morrow :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFFn-Q7zboQ

This looks worse than the Lappy hit.
Posted Image

#97 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,257 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

So he essentially called Burns an idiot as well?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#98 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Burns hit warrants just as much media attention as the Lapierre hit. I wonder why all the attention is on Lapierre and not Burns.

I won't be surprised if the DOPS doesn't even look at the Burns hit because of some BS excuse like the Fisher-Franson hit.
Posted Image

#99 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

More an awkward hit than anything malicious. Boyle was in a terrible position but the NHL doesn't seem to think that the victim has any responsibility whatsoever. It's not Lapierre's fault he was in the position that he was. It's certainly a suspension, but I'd hope it isn't anything major.

Sharks fans have become unbearable on HFBoards with their whining.

#100 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Burns 2 games.
Lapierre 10 games.

2? Really? Just 2? 5, may not sound like much more but 5 is the minimum in my books. Hitting the numbers is just as bad as a headshot.

#101 johngould21

johngould21

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

The Burns hit warrants just as much media attention as the Lapierre hit. I wonder why all the attention is on Lapierre and not Burns.

I won't be surprised if the DOPS doesn't even look at the Burns hit because of some BS excuse like the Fisher-Franson hit.

Chucking a guy into the boards from 5 feet out is really serious, but Lapierre will get the brunt of the attention because of his reputation.

#102 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,478 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Burns getting nothing apparently:

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Burns on Morrow hit was also looked at. It was viewed that Morrow threw a reverse hit into Burns,and Burns won the physical battle.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#103 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

It appears that the Sharks are the new golden boys of the NHL.

#104 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Boyle shouldn't have turned his back on the oncoming hit from Lappy. But with the amount of time he had, Lappy has to let up a bit more than that.

The Burns hit on the other hand is disgusting. Not to mention the apparent retaliatory nature of the hit.

But knowing the NHL
Lappy is given: 5-10games
Burns is given: a gold star
Lappy aint getting no benefit of the doubt on this
Posted Image

#105 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,478 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

So I see Lappy getting a call, especially an in person hearing if they're taking his past history into account. It's a hit he can avoid or at least not give the extra push when the rest could have otherwise been called incidental contact after Boyle turns away at the end.

Burns not getting a call is bad from my view because he's always coming in to hit him regardless of if Morrow stops up to protect/play the puck. I see their point of the contact being initiated early, but Burns has to be aware of the angle he's coming in at and once he gives the shove and twist rather than just bracing himself he's hitting Morrow.

The Burns logic is the same I've applied to the Edler hit. Edler at the very least stops up to make contact with Hertl but needs to be aware that Hertl's head is low well before he does so. Morrow stops up in this case, but it isn't clear he even sees Burns from the angles I've seen. Burns has full view of him all the way in yet still does more than just make incidental contact on a player in a vulnerable position.

Edited by elvis15, 16 October 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#106 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

This ain't right.... that's like saying Lapierre was just finishing his check and Boyle is only injured because he was off balance a split second before he was hit.
Posted Image

#107 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Burns is getting nothing, it's not even being discussed anywhere.

San Jose is the new NHL and media darling.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#108 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

More an awkward hit than anything malicious. Boyle was in a terrible position but the NHL doesn't seem to think that the victim has any responsibility whatsoever. It's not Lapierre's fault he was in the position that he was. It's certainly a suspension, but I'd hope it isn't anything major.

Sharks fans have become unbearable on HFBoards with their whining.

Quick! Start calling SJS the most hated team in the league!
Posted Image

#109 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,297 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Boyle was already falling down when Lappiere shoved him, it wasn't even a hard shove it was a typical hit you see every game. I don't think its dirty, unfortunate, but not dirty.

Bingo

Everyone is sharpening the knives because it's Lappy.

Contact like this happens all the time and if no one is hurt, it's never mentioned.

Not a hard, vicious hit at all,

Just a very unfortunate situation.

#110 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Burns gets nothing?!?!? This league :picard:

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#111 Master Mind

Master Mind

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I was watching the highlights of the game on sportscentre, and they were going on and on about Lappy's hit, making it out to be the worst hit in years.

And then they didn't even show the Burns hit. No bias at all there :rolleyes:

I would be pleased as punch if you pressed this green button.

1zx175v.jpg

small.pngCDCP - New York Rangers

#112 jannik freaking hansen

jannik freaking hansen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Lappy's hit was bone-headed while Burnsy's was malicious.

If Lappy wasn't Lappy and just the average Joe he gets one game. Because he's Lappy precedent seems to be 3 games, add in a significant injury and bad optics for the league and I think he'll get 4-6 games.

Burns hit was just downright predatory. Morrow is a few feet from the boards facing them and this of course came after Lappy's hit and likely retaliatory. Burns' hit is exactly the type of play the NHL has been saying that want to get rid of. Add to that that Morrow left the game, so now you have injury, retaliatory and an illegal hit. Shanny better sack up and give him 5-10 because that could of been a lot worse than it turned out.

#113 jannik freaking hansen

jannik freaking hansen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Wow, just wow. The Burns hit was exactly the type of hit the NHL had in the ???? video they released for god's sake. The NHL is a ???? joke of a league if they can't even enforce the rules they thought deserved enough attention to put in a video.

#114 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Both dirty plays... pretty disgusting but typical of this freaking league if Burns actually gets nothing.

For all the people defending Lappy that "Boyle was falling" etc... Even if he wasn't falling you don't hit a guy in the numbers, especially in to the boards. Dirty hit even if he was perfectly upright. It's just unfortunate that the falling likely made the play even worse from an injury standpoint.

Also, this is the crap why Gillis didn't resign Lappy. We don't need any additional negative media the guy fuels.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#115 jannik freaking hansen

jannik freaking hansen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Lappy will get 5+

Sharks-Blues nastiness: Lapierre gets in-person NHL hearing http://yhoo.it/15IdO64 Boyle stretchered off the ice http://yhoo.it/1cqSwM6

Edited by jannik freaking hansen, 16 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#116 Batmania

Batmania

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I know it's the 2013-14 season so we're all supposed to believe the conspiracy is in favor of the sharks but Burns doesn't deserve anything but a warning. As much as Boyle put himself in a bad position Lappy also was in the wrong. He should get 4-6 games. I'd think 4 because he has no real record to speak of.

Logan Couture should get 3 games for being a whiney *****.
Posted Image

#117 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,257 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

I've been laughin for the last 10 minutes at the joke Brendan Shanahan is. Burns gets away with a malicious hit from behind and Lappy is gonna get suspended because Boyle was already going down before he got hit?

Wow, just wow :picard: Whatever respect I had for Shanahan is long gone now.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#118 PhillipBlunt

PhillipBlunt

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Burns will get nothing because the league wants the Sharks to keep rolling. Useless league.

Both hits were horrible.

As long as the NHLPA does nothing about the disparity, nothing will change. Shanahan's antics are beer league at best.

Edited by PhillipBlunt, 16 October 2013 - 10:47 AM.

m73msy.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck

#119 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,478 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Both dirty plays... pretty disgusting but typical of this freaking league if Burns actually gets nothing.

For all the people defending Lappy that "Boyle was falling" etc... Even if he wasn't falling you don't hit a guy in the numbers, especially in to the boards. Dirty hit even if he was perfectly upright. It's just unfortunate that the falling likely made the play even worse from an injury standpoint.

Also, this is the crap why Gillis didn't resign Lappy. We don't need any additional negative media the guy fuels.

I was surprised we didn't want to bring him back, but it could well be they had to work very hard with him to keep him in check. If they felt this was something waiting to happen, then I can see why they moved away from him and to someone like Richardson instead.

Lapierre has to know he can't finish that check once Boyle turns away from him. Without the push at the end, he could sell the rest as incidental contact with him trying to avoid the hit but it's too obvious with the push.

Burns has to also know he can't be skating into a guy with his back turned the whole time (at least from all the angles I've seen) but perhaps he can sell his as just incidental contact too when Morrow stops up to play the puck. Or he could have if he didn't follow through on his check and push Morrow into the boards from behind while 3 feet out.

Burns will get nothing because the league wants the Sharks to keep rolling. Useless league.

Both hits were horrible.

As long as the NHLPA does nothing about the disparity, nothing will change. Shanahan's antics are beer league at best.

It's already been confirmed he's getting a pass.

Edited by elvis15, 16 October 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#120 DFergy

DFergy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Any suspensions announced yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.