im still pretty chocked that we let Erhoff walk

mainly because of Edler and Erhoff chemistry, it was something up and coming

our one, two punch combo and i felt like they were just heating up

and then you have Hammer and Juice building there own solid chemistry

who ever saying we couldnt afford him is in denial

his cap hit is 4mill, peanuts in todays cap world for a D like him

i felt like after the cup run, signing Erhoff and Raffi was a no brainer

out gm'd?

Ya, who'd want a paltry $6m? So you're saying he'll just retire at 36.

Personally I think he was looking for north of $6m per. If he was even in the ballpark a deal would have been made. The fact he was traded the day after an offer comparable to Bieksa's tells me his side wasn't even near the ballpark never mind in it. I don't think Gillis was willing to pay him more than the Sedins were making.

He could 'retire' and then get more money in the KHL. Maybe 3 mill per. And who's to say any offer rumoured to be floating around in GMMG's world is accurate?

Edit.... And he did sign for 4 million per after-all. So which is it?

So he honours his contract. That's an average of 4 mill per.

If we paid him 5 mill times 7 years then that's even better money if he is still capable of playing either in the NHL or the KHL.

If he walks away, quitting hockey altogether after 7 years then the contracts are almost identical.

Here's the main point about Ehrhoff.

I'm not here to say that what he wanted was fully justified. The thing is, we did not have and do not have a replacement for him. Disagree if you will, but there is a reason that this team has so much trouble breaking out of its own zone and starting offensive zone control. This is why we score even less in the playoffs, because the forecheck is so much tighter. To be frank, the current D corps cannot do the job.

Why do you think Detroit was still such a threat up until a year or two ago? Their top d-men were very old in Lidstrom an Kronwall. That said, both were fantastic puck-movers. Because of this, they were able to mount their own attack consistently.

This is the same in any sport. In soccer, the importance of the central defensive midfielder is key because he moves the ball up the field to the forwards. In football, the quarterback is the cornerstone of any offense. It doesn't matter how good your striker is, or how good your receivers are, if that defensive midfielder or the quarterback cannot get the ball up to them.

Ehrhoff was the best at this out of all of our d-men in the past decade or so. And because this skill is so indescribably important, the benefits actually snowballed because:

1. Our offense had the puck more, which meant that the team had more freedom and less pressure to attack. Note how we scored so many goals that year, whether or not that was the PP or ES.

2. When the team has the puck , they are not defending. The opposition is. Because of this reason, we were successful. This is why the team was so competitive that year.

Everybody is just talking about how much Ehrhoff asked for, but let's face it. 10 years for 40 million is not actually that bad in reality. MG paid Sundin 10 million or something to come here, and he didn't really do anything. Ehrhoff being here has a direct correlation with how well the PP did along with how well Edler was playing. It's evident that he was an integral part of this team's playing style, and the management let him go.

You're assuming Gillis would be willing to give him a 10 year deal. I don't think he was.

You're assuming he was willing to sign for $5m. I'm saying he wasn't as that was ballpark to Bieksa's deal.

You're assuming he'll retire early. Big assumption.

You're assuming he wants to play in the KHL. Big assumption.

You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Archived