#1 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

<p>http://earthfirstjou...nt-confiscated/

In retaliation against a violent police raid this morning on a peaceful First Nations blockade, Mi'kmaq warriors and supporters have fought back.

As of the time of writing this, six RCMP vehicles have been torched, and melees of stones have been hurled in response to tear gas, plastic bullets, and pepper spray from the RCMP. Mi'kmaq allies have also confiscated fracking equipment in continued efforts to maintain the blockade against the gas company.

Posted Image 

Heavily-armed RCMP officers moved against a Mi'kmaq-led blockade in New Brunswick on Thursday, leading to a violent clash with anti-fracking protesters said to be "willing to die" to hold their position.

http://ca.news.yahoo... Video in link.

Edited by nucklehead, 17 October 2013 - 09:16 PM.

DROP THE PUCK!!!

#2 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

POPULAR

There has been a history of companies exploiting the land (mines, etc) and having the run-off poisoning first nations settlements... I don't know the circumstances here with the Mi'kmaq but if they believe a similar situation may occur I can understand why they would go to these lengths. Big corporations in Canada (especially Conservative Canada) have a ton of leeway to get away with murder in these situations.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#3 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

"Peaceful"

qrak1x.jpg

#4 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,310 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Reminds me of this...

Peace through superior firepower!

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#5 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

"Peaceful"

Exactly what I was going to say.
Spoiler

#6 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

What the hell are these people doing standing still on a highway?

#7 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

What the hell are these people doing standing still on a highway?

Not sure, maybe they knew the guys on the motorbikes in new York that decided to stop in the middle of one
CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#8 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Not exactly peaceful when you torch 6 RCMP cars

#9 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Saw this on the news, read the story on it. Good for them for making a stand, but destroying cop cars isn't the answer.

The reality of it is, heavens help anyone trying to push a pipeline through BC without full consent because 6 cars will look like an angry kid in a sandbox with hot wheels compared to the damage they'll do all along the proposed route

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#10 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

http://www.huffingto...html?1382033915

Edited by Blackberries, 17 October 2013 - 10:02 PM.

OXwjSoG.gif

#11 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

An injunction was filed allowing police to arrest those blocking the highway. This injunction was not enforced due to continuing negotiations, but that decision was reversed today, leading to arrests and destruction of the police vehicles

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...exton-1.2100703

#12 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

They look cold. Perhaps we should donate some blankets?

thats a pretty dickish comment.

OXwjSoG.gif

#13 BanTSN

BanTSN

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

"I'm so brave that I cover my face!"
Posted Image

#14 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

"I'm so brave that I cover my face!"

to be fair the original thread starter didn't post photos of the original protest.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That was before the moltovs were thrown and the women and children in the crowd were teargassed

torching the cars was wrong but I admire them for taking a stand for what they believe in.

Edited by Blackberries, 17 October 2013 - 10:33 PM.

OXwjSoG.gif

#15 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Watch this turn into another Oka

qrak1x.jpg

#16 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Watch this turn into another Oka

Watch this turn into another Idle No More, and by that, I mean a bunch of Natives sit around accomplishing nothing.

#17 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

I never understood protests against state/provincial/government policies or decisions like this kind of protest. They almost never change anything and more often than not just lead to arrests and a negative view of the protesters themselves.

They're protesting the wrong people and basically just disturbing the peace. If they want to send their message to the right people, they should be protesting in front of government buildings and oil company HQ's....not standing on a highway. 99% of the people that drive by cant do crap about it either so why protest them.

#18 Bill Sikes

Bill Sikes

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

I never understood protests against state/provincial/government policies or decisions like this kind of protest. They almost never change anything and more often than not just lead to arrests and a negative view of the protesters themselves.

They're protesting the wrong people and basically just disturbing the peace. If they want to send their message to the right people, they should be protesting in front of government buildings and oil company HQ's....not standing on a highway. 99% of the people that drive by cant do crap about it either so why protest them.

All they are really doing with these blockades is turning potential allies into opponents. You need to do something that inconveniences or financially hurts the companies involved or the government that supports them, not the general public. Information pickets where the public are made aware of the issues and may actually join your cause (or at least stay neutral) works better than blockades that antagonize people and turn them against you.

mqdefault.jpg

#19 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

All they are really doing with these blockades is turning potential allies into opponents. You need to do something that inconveniences or financially hurts the companies involved or the government that supports them, not the general public. Information pickets where the public are made aware of the issues and may actually join your cause (or at least stay neutral) works better than blockades that antagonize people and turn them against you.

Completely agree.

#20 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Why are they so concerned about Fracking?

I live in the middle of approximately 40,000 natural gas wells, every one of them fracked.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#21 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

POPULAR

Watch this turn into another Idle No More, and by that, I mean a bunch of Natives sit around accomplishing nothing.

As opposed to all the white people that have accomplished something that created change?

Do you have a problem with them protesting because you find their concerns over fracking unwarranted or because their "native"?

OXwjSoG.gif

#22 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

LOL so true.

#23 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

How peaceful is this one????

#24 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

POPULAR

Nothing is accomplished only because our current "government" doesn't give a damn about anyone who doesn't have the backing of oil gas or multi national corporations behind them.

To the extent that 6 people walked from the far north to Ottawa to talk to the pm about specific issues. And he couldn't be bothered because he was on an airport tarmac meeting with two cute pandas his bosses in China had sent him for that beautiful trade agreement.

You remember, the one where China can sue us at anytime if we get in their way?

When you put more time into animals than your own people. There is a strong issue.

So yes, indeed something was accomplished. We now know the depths of uselessness and callousness of our "government"

#25 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,410 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

There was a court injunction so the RCMP were within their legal rights to move the people, but when they didn't move and they resorted to pepper spray and rubber bullets that's when it got bad. The cop cars weren't torched first. There were women and children and elders there. It wasn't a bunch of punks out to specifically cause damage in the beginning.

From what I've read they believed the fracking could damage their water table. I'm not sure if this is scientifically possible but I do know there have been several protests in europe over the same issue.

OXwjSoG.gif

#26 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

There was a court injunction so the RCMP were within their legal rights to move the people, but when they didn't move and they resorted to pepper spray and rubber bullets that's when it got bad. The cop cars weren't torched first. There were women and children and elders there. It wasn't a bunch of punks out to specifically cause damage in the beginning.

From what I've read they believed the fracking could damage their water table. I'm not sure if this is scientifically possible but I do know there have been several protests in europe over the same issue.

It is indeed possible via seepage from hard fractures stone to aquifers and water systems as has been proven in the past most notably in the Oogalala aquifer in the US.

#27 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Why are they so concerned about Fracking?

I live in the middle of approximately 40,000 natural gas wells, every one of them fracked.

The aboriginal land title is different. It can't be traded or made into a commodity. It's purpose is to pass land through generations to ensure the survival of aboriginal people and culture.

If there's a chance that the fracking could destroy the water table, it should never have been been approved and the courts have failed the aboriginal people, just as they have so many times in the past. Although I don't agree with burning the cop car, it has accomplished their goal. Prior to that, no one had any idea what was going on.

#28 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

It is indeed possible via seepage from hard fractures stone to aquifers and water systems as has been proven in the past most notably in the Oogalala aquifer in the US.

Yup there have been reported incidents of methane gas and other fracking fluids (which legally can't be disclosed) entering drinking water in the US where fracking is more widespread.

Also a recent report from Pennsylvania identified high levels of radiation in waste water from fracking, that was present due to the release of radon gas which occurs naturraly in the shale formations.

Edited by Perfect From Now On, 18 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#29 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

As opposed to all the white people that have accomplished something that created change?

Do you have a problem with them protesting because you find their concerns over fracking unwarranted or because their "native"?

I find these public disturbance methods (road blockades, vandalism, etc) to be a general nuisance. The medium is the message, and in this case, it screams like a childish tantrum.

#30 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yup there have been reported incidents of methane gas and other fracking fluids (which legally can't be disclosed) entering drinking water in the US where fracking is more widespread.

Also a recent report from Pennsylvania identified high levels of radiation in waste water from fracking, that was present due to the release of radon gas which occurs naturraly in the shale formations.

This is the big issue with any kind of resources extraction. The Earth itself contains a lot of harmful chemicals. When you disrupt and shatter the rock around natural deposits, what flows through the dangerous chemicals and then into the water table. Even if the gas companies are extremely careful, it's not always possible to tell what the long term effects of the process will be.

A good example, although not involving fracking, was the copper mines in Brittania. Everything was done by the book. However, Copper's natural state is Copper Sulfate. When rain water flows through the natural mineral, it transforms into sulfuric acid. Once youv'e cracked open the rock around the Copper Sulfate, there is no way to reseal it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.