The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 RCMP Vehicles Torched by Peaceful Protestors

nucklehead

There was a court injunction so the RCMP were within their legal rights to move the people, but when they didn't move and they resorted to pepper spray and rubber bullets that's when it got bad. The cop cars weren't torched first. There were women and children and elders there. It wasn't a bunch of punks out to specifically cause damage in the beginning.

From what I've read they believed the fracking could damage their water table. I'm not sure if this is scientifically possible but I do know there have been several protests in europe over the same issue.

There was a court injunction so the RCMP were within their legal rights to move the people, but when they didn't move and they resorted to pepper spray and rubber bullets that's when it got bad. The cop cars weren't torched first. There were women and children and elders there. It wasn't a bunch of punks out to specifically cause damage in the beginning.

From what I've read they believed the fracking could damage their water table. I'm not sure if this is scientifically possible but I do know there have been several protests in europe over the same issue.

Yup there have been reported incidents of methane gas and other fracking fluids (which legally can't be disclosed) entering drinking water in the US where fracking is more widespread.

Also a recent report from Pennsylvania identified high levels of radiation in waste water from fracking, that was present due to the release of radon gas which occurs naturraly in the shale formations.

Resource companies want profit, but cause a lot of damage to accomplish their goals. The protesters want change, but cause a lot of damage to accomplish their goals. The scales are different, a few torched cars and some blockades are not the same as large scale environmental destruction, but the mentality is exactly the same: I get what I want, and I don't care what I need to do to get it.

It is this mentality that opens the door for environmental destruction, it would be a breathe of fresh air to see people wanting to think differently. Instead, we have protesters who are simply more of the same. When you resort to the same tactics as those you are trying to topple, change is not possible.

This is the big issue with any kind of resources extraction. The Earth itself contains a lot of harmful chemicals. When you disrupt and shatter the rock around natural deposits, what flows through the dangerous chemicals and then into the water table. Even if the gas companies are extremely careful, it's not always possible to tell what the long term effects of the process will be.

A good example, although not involving fracking, was the copper mines in Brittania. Everything was done by the book. However, Copper's natural state is Copper Sulfate. When rain water flows through the natural mineral, it transforms into sulfuric acid. Once youv'e cracked open the rock around the Copper Sulfate, there is no way to reseal it.

[quote name='Warhippy' timestamp='1382109446' post='11728147']
Nothing is accomplished only because our current "government" doesn't give a damn about anyone who doesn't have the backing of oil gas or multi national corporations behind them.

To the extent that 6 people walked from the far north to Ottawa to talk to the pm about specific issues. And he couldn't be bothered because he was on an airport tarmac meeting with two cute pandas his bosses in China had sent him for that beautiful trade agreement.

You remember, the one where China can sue us at anytime if we get in their way?

When you put more time into animals than your own people. There is a strong issue.

So yes, indeed something was accomplished. We now know the depths of uselessness and callousness of our "government"
[/quote]

Let's not kid ourselves...the only thing exposed as a result of Idle for Nothing was the selfishness, coerciveness, and the manipulation of one Thief Spence and her band of cronies.

When a band chief hoarding welfare money for her entire group demands even more money, questions have to be answered; unfortunately, all we got were requests to leave tribal land under threats of physical harm.

[quote name='Tortorella's Rant' timestamp='1382206366' post='11730156']
[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1423381887874137&set=a.1374974916048168.1073741826.100006070171335&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook...&type=1[/url]

lol, it's on the internet, it must be true.
[/quote]

News Flash TR, Facebook and internet are not synonymousAlthough I admit this is where I lifted the story from ...

Archived