The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your "Unpopular Hockey Opinion(s)"

Darkstar

Apparently, the Olympic sized ice surface is a popular opinion, so I'll go ahead and disagree with it.

Anyone who watched the Nagano Olympics saw a very talented Canadian forward group get completely shut down by a very average Czech Republic defense. (Yes, Hasek had something to do with it, but Team Canada generated little against the Czechs and Hasek's biggest contribution was in the shootout)

The extra space actually gives the defense more room to close and more room to recover when they get beat. Ask yourself if the Euro leagues are noted for their high scoring games...

I think you have to also keep in mind how the euro players already know how to play on the larger sheet while most NA players don't. I watch the Univ. of MN Gophers (US college hockey) play over half their games on olympic/international size and because of the talent they have, when they face teams used to playing on the smaller sheets.. they have a clear advantage. When they are in their "down" years, they are still able to "stay in the game" against those other teams.

Interesting topic. Here are mine:

Tuukka Rask of 2013 is better than Thomas of 2011

Dion Phaneuf is not that good of a defenceman.

Griffen Reinhart will be a bust

Bobby Ryan is better than Corey Perry

Besides Lundqvist, Carey Price is the best goalie in the NHL

Roberto Luongo is still a top 5 goaltender

Shea Weber is the NHL's top defenceman

Phil Kessel is arguably the NHL's best right-winger (Kane, Ovechkin as well).

Joffrey Lupul is a top 3 forward

Unpopular Hockey Opinions (Canucks Edition):

-Boston is not a dirty team.

-I would be ecstatic if we ever got Marchand or Lucic, both are amongst the best in their league at their roles.

-There is no "Anti-Canuck" bias.

-Trading Schneider was a better option then trading Luongo.

-Jordan Schroeder is not NHL ready (and I have doubts he ever will be)

-Keslers injuries have hindered his game severely, while still a useful 2C, he is not the same player he was just a few years ago.

-Horvat over Nichushkin was the safe and correct choice.

-Jordan Subban is our most overrated prospect.

-We are the worst fanbase (media included) in the NHL.

5. Jonathan Toews is the best player in the NHL. He's the captain of a modern day dynasty, has a Conn Smythe and Selke to his name, and is still only 25. He's not Crosby yet but he's damn close and I sure as hell know who I'd rather build my team around.

6. The Boston Bruins are not a dirty team. Do they play a physical style? Yes. Do they take advantage of the lack of rules in the playoffs? Yes. Does this make them dirty goons? No. The Bruins simply play a system proven to win in today's NHL, and just because they bobbleheaded a Sedin or two on the way to a Cup win does NOT make every player to have worn a Bruin's jersey a detriment to humanity. Nobody likes a sore loser guys.

Thoughts?

I'll start with what Jagermeister said:

- "We are the worst fanbase (media included) in the NHL." It wasn't until the Jets came to Winnipeg that I realized just how terrible Vancouver fans and media are. Really bad and incredibly annoying.

- Unpopular here, but popular everywhere else, "The Canucks window HAS closed." Other teams in their conference have improved too much; while the Canucks, who are still good, have been surpassed by Chicago, Los Angeles, Colorado (yes, this has happened), and San Jose.

- "Toronto is good enough to consistantly make the playoffs for the next 5 years." That said, they are not good enough to win the cup with the group they have in that time either; Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, and TBay are all closer.

- Rick Nash has been the most overrated player over the past 8 years.

- "The shakeup the Canucks need to improve their team starts with buying out Luongo." I love Luongo, but that capspace can be used towards other options going forward. Lack isn't necessarily the answer, but the Canucks can still get a good enough goalie to backstop them (ie: see Niemi, Crawford, Howard, Bishop, etc) in the $3M area.

- "The Canucks should have hired Ted Nolan instead of Torts."

-If we would have won back to back Stanley cups with coach V... I would of still wanted him fired. Just was not a fan of his at all. Never liked his coaching style from the start. All the respect to him, but that grin when the team would lose momentum drove me nuts. (As well as other fundamental parts of his coaching I disagreed with)

-Joe Thornton's comment last week was good for the game. You can't say that was your regular cliche statement that we all hate to hear

-Fighting has an important place in the NHL and it should NOT be removed

-Don Cherry can be annoying to listen to but behind his erratic drivel he still makes a few good points

-Carey Price is a very good goalie who would give Canada the best chance to win at the Olympics

-Dubnyk isn't that bad of a goalie. Just needs a few decent players in front of him

-Mario was better than Wayne. Mario and Jagr on the same team were the best combo

-I'm surprised there isn't more players who don't want to play here. All the negativity from fans and media must bother the players no matter how much money someone is paying them.

bobby orr is the best hockey player of all time. he changed the game in ways no one else has.

going to the NCAA is a much better decision than only playing juniors before going to the NHL.

the rangers didn't treat sean avery right at the end. He (almost) singlehandedly kept the enthusiasm alive for years.

greg campbell should be allowed to to play without everyone whining every time any call goes for the team he's on.

the green men aren't funny

Archived