The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your "Unpopular Hockey Opinion(s)"

Darkstar

Good topic.

The most unpopular thing I ever stated for the record was that Markus Naslund was washed up in 2008 and we should not re sign him.

Others have been Kyle Wellwood would score 30 goals eventually. That the Keith Ballard trade was a joke. That the Luongo deal would turn out to be the second worst Canuck signing in history (Messier)

I said the Sedins were the best second liners in the NHL . (oops )

And the grand daddy of all unpopular opinions? Cody Hodgson was a poor mans prima donna and will never live up to his #10 draft position in that 2008 draft.

I have seen some of these already, but here's my list:

-Patrick Roy was the best modern era NHL goalie, hands down. Brodeur and Hasek can fight over 2nd place, but nobody won more big games in the NHL than Saint Patrick.

-"Dan the Man" Cloutier was too skilled of a goalie to be shat on by Canucks fans a decade ago. He might have still been playing today if Rob Niedermayer hadn't ran him.

-Markus Naslund was a classy guy, but he doesn't deserve his name in the rafters. They will need more room for Hank and Danny who have won a ton more hardware for themselves and the team.

-Jay Feaster is NOT a good GM. The Flames practically admitted it by hiring Burke, who is Feaster's boss, and therefore de facto GM of the team. I could mention the Ryan O'Reilly debacle or Mark Jankowski being picked in rd 1 last season (who?) but it's far easier to point to Burke. Feaster can't take a piss break without checking with Brian first, so in Burkie's own words, Feaster is a 'Lame duck' GM.

-Al MacInnis SHOULD have his name in the rafters. St. Louis retired his number and built a statue of the guy, but Calgary can't even retire his number despite a Stanley Cup and winning the Conn Smythe doing it (and being the 3rd highest scoring D-man in NHL history) For shame, Calgary, another reason why your team sucks.

-Edmonton is not a crappy team. *Hear me out on this* Yeah they are playing like crap right now and they give up a lot of goals, but to me, the issue seems to be coaching every year. Use Colorado as a measuring stick. The system Roy implemented has helped that team play really tight, and I think the right coach would help Edmonton immensely. I don't think Eakins is the guy...but it's still early. I think the issue is behind the bench, not on the ice.

-Sean Avery is an ass, but he has some skills. I wish he'd played longer. His antics with Marty Brodeur alone were worth the price of admission....south of the border that is.

-Canucks got shafted by ejecting Rome from the 2011 Finals. Yeah, the hit was late. Yeah, it caused an injury. It was still a hockey play, not some stupid play like Bertuzzi/Moore. He shouldn't have been thrown out of the whole series.

-Shouldn't have traded Schneider, not for that return. Yeah I know, it was costly to buyout Lu, and I am not arguing that Lu is a bad goalie by any stretch. I am just looking at the resources and money invested since 2004 developing Schneider to where he was at the time, and to give all that up for a draft pick that may or may not even pan out is a huge waste by the Canucks organization. They should have at least received a quality player that the team could use now.

-I don't like Fin, or (most) of the other mascots. I just think mascots are corny. I know for many the hockey rink is a family thing, but I have always found mascots to be lame. Cheerleaders on the other hand... :bigblush:

-I don't like Sidney Crosby, or the way he gets overhyped. I am not arguing against his skill, but he gets a lot of praise for what he does, compared to similar (better) efforts from guys like Toews or Seabrook, who seem to go unnoticed.. Remember that 4 point night he had after coming back from his concussion? Nobody mentioned that it was against the Islanders, who were stinky that year to begin with, and they had used a 4th string goalie (no exaggeration) who was making his NHL debut. We'll set em up Sid, you just knock em down...what a joke.

Stamkos isn't a top 3 player in the NHL

The Hodgson trade was the beginning of the Canucks scoring issues.

Craig Anderson isn't a top 20 NHL goalie.

The January 2012 game in Boston had no effect on the Canucks.

Luongo's injury in 2008-09 had no effect on his lateral movement.

Ryan Kesler > Patrice Bergeron

Based on what out of curiosity. I think Bergeron beats Kesler on nearly every statistic

They're very similar players however i give Kesler a slight edge based on his ability to dominate a playoff series/ carry an entire line. During his best season he had more goals than both his line mates combined. True Bergeron probably has better career stats but look at who his linemates have been. He played with Brad Boyes/Marco Sturm in their prime and more recently Seguin/Marchand/Eriksson. If Kes had those kind of linemates he'd be a Selke candidate every year.

I was just coming here to say the same.

I can say the same about Tony Gallagher, he gets so many people pissed off and gets people tlking

I guess most of the folks around hockey are pretty quiet and humble .. Its nice to have a couple characters stir the pot . your right , it gets us talking

- the only canuck jerseys i like are the original stick in rink and 97 - 07 white orca bay. i hate the fans that love the spaghetti skate, flying v, cartoonish stick and the current, disgusting vancouver joke

-ever since day 1, i hated Bieksa

- Kesler and Luongo are the most overrated players in the history of this team

- Oliers' dark blue uniform (96 - 08) and Todd Mcfarlane's alternate jersey were amazing, i don't get why people love the cheesy blue and orange so much, it looks disgusting

- i cheer for all the canadian teams in the playoffs. game 6 between the flames and the lightning still bothers me even after all these years

- i'm having a hard time accepting what they play in the 60's and 70's is actually called hockey and therefore i find the players overrated. not that they're bad but... have you seen the goalies?

- conn smythe is the worst trophy in the nhl. we all take pride in how hockey is the ultimate team sport, then you hand out an award like this

- when did selke award become a trophy for the star forwards?

- i hate the superstar canadian players that won the stanley cup with gary bettman towns (kings, hurricanes, stars, lightning, ducks, avalanche) and refuse the sign with a canadian team because they're too scared to handle the pressure coming from the fans and the media (before anyone accuses me of being a blind nationalist, i'm from turkey)

I think its ridiculous to acknowledge that "game management" is part of the game, but then rebuke the thought that officiating could be biased. Either biased from a personal standpoint or from the "head office".

I also think its naive to think that this league is somehow above the world and that it values moral integrity more then money. So basically that if it had the opportunity, it wouldn't under any circumstance, bend, alter, or sway the rules in order to produce an outcome that favoured the league. It happens everywhere in the world. In much smaller businesses, and much bigger ones.

I believe the only way to eliminate head shots and dangerous hits in the game is to limit the equipment that the players wear. Back in the day they only had some soft padding, and so they had to take their own safety into account when going for a big hit. Now each player feels almost invincible, and can use solid plastic equipment not only as protection, but as a weapon.

The delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass one of the stupidest rules in all of pro sports. Not only does it only happen by accident now, it actually delays the game less than an icing. The reason a player does it is the same as icing, and so it should be called like an icing. Not only that, but its actually the only penalty thats called 100% of the time, or at least like 99% of the time. Refs will let near murder go at times, if its late in a close game, but they will always call delay of game for shooting the puck over the glass. That's stupid.

That controversial enough? :lol:

Canucks are just barely a top 10 team right now.

From a completely unbiased POV, Rome's hit on Horton was clean and Horton's fault for not bracing himself. I mean the hit was literally 1/10 of a second late, there are countless hits every NHL game that are less than a second late. Half of the suspensions handed out in the NHL are for regular hockey plays with an unlucky outcome.

Crosby gets way too much hate from fans.

- Rick Nash has been the most overrated player over the past 8 years.

agreed, I remember people saying he was the most talented scorer in the league during the CBJ days... despite never hitting 80 pts in a season

Peter Forsberg is the best Swede ever to play the game.

I've never seen a better 2 way player in my short life than Foppa, his physicality puts him above Datsyuk IMO

the fact he was so good while hurt all the time makes him even more of a legend

Got this off hfboards.

Basically, what opinions do you have that differ from the general majority of fans around the league, the media or on CDC?

Here's my List:

Ryan Miller is still a top five goalie in this league, he just has played on an awful team for several years now.

Jonathan Toews is a good player, but he's probably the most overrated player in the league.

Zetterberg is better than Datsyuk.

Stamkos is not a top ten player without St.Louis

Jonathan Drouin will be a bust at the NHL level.

Luongo will go down as the most overrated goaltender in the history of the league, and will retire with 0 Cups, Conn Smythe's and Vezina's.

It is impossible to win a Stanley Cup in this league today without a puck-moving defenseman.

Pierre McGuire gets too much flack. He's one of the best analysts in hockey, even though he can go overboard at times.

Suter is miles ahead of Weber in every aspect of the game, besides Weber's shot.

Nikita Zadorov will end up being the best defenseman of the 2013 draft.

Corsi stats are useless, and that will be proven within the next few years. People who use them are the "hipster fans" of hockey.

The Oilers will win the Stanley Cup within the next 5 years.

Henrik Sedin is the best centre in the west by far, and is criminally underrated defensively.

I disagree with u on almost all of those.. Can't argue hank being the best centre tho,. How is toews overrated, guy has won two cups and an Olympic gold while being named tourney mvp.. I hate to say it tho I kinda agree with u on peirre McGuire. I used to hate him, now that he is off tsn and jus on NBC I don't mind him anymore. Like his interviews on team 1040

Archived