The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks are a Playmaking center away...

nitwitt

Do not want Gillis trading away any of our 1st rounder prospects nor another 1st round pick, or even a 2nd.. This team is not close to being stanley cup material.. maybe in a couple years when we are getting some production from the young guys. Not now.

How about instead of panicking we just see how the team does this year?

I always hear on this site "We're just one player away...".

If we are that close, let's hold the fort and hopefully Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce are game ready next year???

Then we have oodles of talent to fall back on.

Quit mortgaging our future for temporary fixes.

Wow. There has been a huge shift in these forums since I used to frequent them. Since when has it been okay to say "maybe next year" or "hold the fort"? I'm totally on board with not draining the system for this year, because I also agree that we're not as close as 1 player away. However, if a top 6 forward can be had for some picks (no first) and middle of the road prospects I say go for it.

The Sedins, Kesler and Burrows are not getting any better. In my opinion, this is the last or 2nd to last year the Canucks can have a kick at the can. Why waste a year? if we're saying "maybe next year" why are we not offloading the Sedins and others for picks to do a full rebuild? This middle of the road crap kills franchises...

If the Canucks can get an actual top 6 forward and create a respectable top 6, then I think our defense and goaltending is good enough to get us "there". Where "there" is depends on injuries and the team getting hot at the right time ala LA Kings.

I wouldn't mind trading a prospect (not Horvat or Shinkaruk) + a draft pick for a legit 2nd line center. It really would give this team a huge boost into cup contention. A guy like Vermette would be perfect if the Yotes are out of it by the deadline (I doubt they will be though.)

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - Vermette - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Richardson - Santorelli - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Tanev - Stanton

Luongo

Lack

Do we even have any cap space though?

How about instead of panicking we just see how the team does this year?

I always hear on this site "We're just one player away...".

If we are that close, let's hold the fort and hopefully Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce are game ready next year???

Then we have oodles of talent to fall back on.

Quit mortgaging our future for temporary fixes.

Why waste a year? This team isn't getting any younger. I wouldn't say get another Derek Roy type player but a player that can actually give this team a huge boost at the right time. A guy like Antoine Vermette or Derick Brassard (who was a point per game player in the playoffs last year) would be huge for this team.

This whole "maybe next year" idea isn't good for a team with an aging core.

At the end of the season we will be making moves. We will have a lot of young forwards who may be ready to jump into our lineup like Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk and with the emergence of Stanton we are now overcrowded with young defensemen looking to jump up as well. We might have to move a few forwards and we will have to move a defenseman. That's when we package a few players up and get a solid forward. We can't afford to trade any prospects since we want to get younger, we have to move core players. I don't see us making any big moves till the draft.

This year we find out who stays and who goes in our core group.

Ok I know I've been harping on MG and the Canucks of recent, However, it appears the winger that the Sedins have needed all along has been right here. Kesler is the absolute perfect fit, he's got good size, good wheels, good skill, good shot and he'll bang. So if are new look number one line is "BeastModo", then Mg has to bring in a very good playmaking center who can play with Burrows and Higgins. Leaving what I think will be an amazing third line of Schroeder, Kassian and Booth and an equally amazing fourth line Santorelli, Hansen and Richardson. This just could be the most complete team the Canucks have ever had.

+1 for BeastModo.

Nicklas Backstrom would be the best fit.... if only.

Booth, Jensen, Gaunce for Backstrom and a prospect? Caps look like they're struggling again and should probably get younger.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Burrows-Backstrom-Kassian

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Kick ass top 9

Caps won't trade their 1st line C.

Caps won't trade their 1st line C.

I agree it's highly unlikely...

But what if the return package was: Burrows, Booth, Shroeder, Gaunce, Jensen and a second.. ?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Backstrom - Kesler

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

I would still do it. Backstrom is only turning 26 in a month or so.. And this could be a solid forward core for many years.

I wouldn't mind trading a prospect (not Horvat or Shinkaruk) + a draft pick for a legit 2nd line center. It really would give this team a huge boost into cup contention. A guy like Vermette would be perfect if the Yotes are out of it by the deadline (I doubt they will be though.)

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Tanev - Stanton

Luongo

Lack

Love the line up, would prefer P. Statsny there but the this is time sensitive, we can't wait 10 more games because it's possible we might be 3-4 games out of the playoffs and as we all know it's extremely difficult to claw back in. If M.G. has any ability to move on a player like Stastny or Vermette without touching our top 6 then this would be a must do. We would have two complete lines and a very strong bottom 6. The deal would maybe look like:

To Col:

Booth- Canucks eat 35% of Salary-1.5mil.

N.Jensen

Edler

To Van:

P.Stastny

Tyson Barrie

Colorado does this because they get a stud all star defenceman in Edler, a young prospect to help restock the cupboard and semi-decent power forward. For a centerman that needs a change of scenery and a good young puck moving dman.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.660m) / Zack Kassian ($0.851m)

Jannik Hansen ($2.500m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.788m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.893m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2.313% of upper limit)

David Booth ($1.488m—35.0%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,910,778; BONUSES: $8,333

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $397,556

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Tanev - Stanton

Luongo

Lack

Booth needs to go yo make room, he's eating up too much cap space for his skill level. MG needs to trade him with a prospect (not a high one) to make trading booth possible because nobody will touch him straight up. Then we have cap room to find a second line center at the deadline and I think one of our D needs to be part of a deal.

The player we pick up doesn't have to be a rental, get a player with lots of talent and plenty of years left that we can re-sign. Our younglings aren't likely to be impact players for a few years. Our current core, mainly the twins, deserve another real shot.

I strongly support going after Vanek.

Archived