The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Florida Panthers fire sale seems likely

EvoLu7ioN

Matthias and Boyes please.

Schroeder and a 3rd for Matthias, C+/B- Prospect and a 2nd/3rd for Boyes.. Prospect could be someone like Rodin or Grenier.

Our line-up would look awesome, and there would be plenty of different ways we could build it up.

Boyes - Sedin - Kassian (18 Minutes)

Burrows - Kesler - Sedin (18 Minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (12 minutes)

Booth - Richardson - Santorelli (12 Minutes)

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (20 minutes)

Burrows - Kesler - Boyes (17.5 Minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (11.5 Minutes)

Booth - Richardson - Santorelli (11 minutes)

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler (22 minutes)

Burrows - Santorelli - Boyes (15 minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian (11.5 Minutes)

Hansen - Richardson - Booth (11.5 minute)

Goc may actually be a more realistic option for us since he wouldn't cost nearly as much as Matthias.

He's a UFA at the end of this season, whereas Matthias has another year and is likely part of their youth movement.

Goc could probably be had for nothing more than a mid round pick.

I would love to have Goc for a mid round pick. Gillis better be in talks with his pal.

Booth, Jensen, Edler for Campbell and 2015 first, Matthias

So we trade those pieces for Campbell soup and his 7 million dollar contract, yet we could've signed Ehrhoff for much less without giving up anything, not even Edler.

We need a third line center, so Matthias should be the only player we're looking at. Possibly Boyes if we can fit him in too.

We don't have the cap space for most of those other players though. And I really doubt they're going to take Booth.

On a Side note, I don't understand why veterans keep going to Florida when the team trades them every year.

Because that is where senior citizens go to retire.

Matthias and Boyes please.

Schroeder and a 3rd for Matthias, C+/B- Prospect and a 2nd/3rd for Boyes.. Prospect could be someone like Rodin or Grenier.

Our line-up would look awesome, and there would be plenty of different ways we could build it up.

Boyes - Sedin - Kassian (18 Minutes)

Burrows - Kesler - Sedin (18 Minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (12 minutes)

Booth - Richardson - Santorelli (12 Minutes)

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (20 minutes)

Burrows - Kesler - Boyes (17.5 Minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen (11.5 Minutes)

Booth - Richardson - Santorelli (11 minutes)

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler (22 minutes)

Burrows - Santorelli - Boyes (15 minutes)

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian (11.5 Minutes)

Hansen - Richardson - Booth (11.5 minute)

Give a 2nd for Boyes while we could've signed him for free. Its pretty dumb if you ask me.

I'm not to convinced the source isn't just blowing smoke.

Regardless of what may have taken place after a few weeks of hockey in Florida, it's kind of a self-defeating time to have a 'fire sale'. Who are the buyers? Many teams have been trimming already to get under the cap, and the ones with cap space don't necessarily have the money to spend either. So I think Florida would likely have to take salary back whether they like it or not, or indeed give away assets well below their value, which is always a questionable strategy.

Kulikov, btw, isn't a "veteran" and would be one of the last players you'd move if you're shedding age and going with a youth movement.

He's an absolute workhorse at merely 22 years of age. Very little chance he's anywhere near the rest of the players on that list. This alone makes me pppffffftttttt this rumour.

Realistically, Goc is a guy I've wanted for some time - he would really round out the bottom six imo - always has solid underlying numbers, good consistent faceoff guy, and chips in. But he's also a bargain of a cap hit, so what is the incentive to 'fire sale' this guy?

Some people in this thread are really wiling to overpay for Matthias. Would be an alright addition, but not at the prices being suggested.

I'd do a Booth for Upshall and Goc deal. Florida doesn't save much, but perhaps can justify it with their even greater disappointment in Upshall. If Booth is going to be a third liner, we may as well take a chance on a guy like Upshall whose game might even be more suited to that role, and who has upside that could surprise playing in Vancouver.

I also wouldn't mind giving up a high pick or forward prospect for Alex Petrovic - Florida has a lot of blueline youth, and up the middle, but that type of prospect would fit nicely in the Canucks system.

A deal I'd really love to see is something like a 2nd, a mid round pick, and a contract (Sestito) for Petrovic, Goc and Clemmenson (who is buried and costing FLA 1.2 million in salary).

The Canucks can bury Clemmenson in Utica - and his 1.2 million salary applies to the cap as 1.2 - (550/minimum salary + 375) - so Clemmenson would cost the Canucks 275k towards the cap, but would be an insurance backup in the system if the Canucks face any injuries to their goaltenders.

Like the Welsh/Dalpe deal, the Canucks take on salary in exchange for getting greater asset value.

A 2nd for Petrovic is slightly less than he's worth imo, a mid round pick is less than Goc is worth, while Florida takes a reasonable/serviceable role player (clears a contract spot for Goc), and moves 2 million in salary. Imo if they are looking to move guys like Upshall or Bergenheim they are going to have to also open their youth wallets to make it worthwhile anyhow, particularly in the current climate, or take back salary themselves, so I think a moderate deal like this could work if in fact they are looking to move anyone - which I think could be a premature assumption.

Archived