The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest analysis of our team

vcrguy

Santo and Richardson would have been amazing pick ups IF, their success was a bonus to the teams production rather than a major part. Every time we get a depth scorer, we force them into a role and position where they are no longer depth, thus having no depth scoring.

Vicious cycle these past few years.

Pretty much what papa said -_-

Kesler has been taking almost all our defensive draws and has done a damn good job of it too. He has been pretty consistent thus far for the role Torts has given him.

The problem with our depth is that that's a 3rd line role that Kesler is playing.

Santo and Richardson would have been amazing pick ups IF, their success was a bonus to the teams production rather than a major part. Every time we get a depth scorer, we force them into a role and position where they are no longer depth, thus having no depth scoring.

Vicious cycle these past few years.

Good point. When we brought in Lappy, and Higgins in 2010-2011, those guys were basically going to be the depth players and that's why we were so good. Second line was set with Kesler, Raymond, and Samuelson so those guys really played on the third and fourth lines where whatever they did was bonus rather than main contribution.

Good news is that hopefully starting next year, those guys can go back to being bonus contributors rather than the main contributors. Hopefully as young guys like Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk comes in and as Schoreder and Kassian improves their play, guys like Santorelli and Richardson can become the depth that Higgins and Lappy were 2 years ago.

Give Booth, Kassian, J-Shro, and even DALE WEISE time. They will plug those wholes.

Booth, Kass, J-Shro will move into those holes and WEISE will be the ultimate hardest working player in the NHL. WEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIISEEEEEEEEEBABYYYYYY

Middle-of-the-pack team.

Too many undefined roles/players up front. Gillis believes everything will work out fine, as long as everyone finds their previous top form. The problem is, that's never going to happen. Maybe a couple guys will find it, but most won't. After a while, you are what you are. Higgins won't score 20 in a season, and neither will Booth or Hansen. Based on his current play, I'm beginning to have doubts that Dank will either.

When Gillis announced his 'reset', I had no idea it only referred to the coaches. Not one player of significance (apart from Schneider) was moved. Instead he did what he does every summer....fill in spots from the scrap heap and hope for the best. The gradual erosion of real talent continues. Torts may bring a new attitude and outlook, but the Canucks are a veteran team which will not be able to reinvent their game significantly based on the stagnant personnel. And throw in previously-reliable vets (Dank, Hamhuis, Kesler, Lou) playing below their regular form, and you've got problems.

The Canucks will continue to routinely beat lesser teams, but will struggle against upper teams. That will adequately define what they are and where they deserve to be. I thought they would finish 7-10 in the west, and I've seen nothing to change my mind thus far.

One of the most bang on posts I've read here.

H.Sedin - 1a

D.Sedin - 1a

Kesler - 1b (when playing decent)

Burrows - 2a

Higgins - 2b

Hansen - 3a

Kassian - 3a

Schroeder - 3b

Booth - 3a (when playing better than he is now)

Richardson - 3b

Weise - 4

Sestito - 4b

Welsh - 4b

more accurate than the OP imo - I see Burrows as A1 regardless simply because he is the team's WD40 who excels anywhere, and makes the whole lineup better - but regardless I think it's an upgrade on '1 player short'.

I have no problem with the fact that there is one top 6 spot that hasn't been locked down by anyone - imo there is nothing wrong with having a handful of players competing to step up - and no shortage of potential among them, particularly when the youth gain a little experience.

I think our d-core is fine as hell honestly.

Tanev has been consistent.

Stanton is 3rd in the NHL in terms of rookie defenceman scoring, only behind Seth jones (Who has played a hell of a lot more ice time i might add) as well as ryan murray.

Top four is there, just needs to play to the best of their abilities'.

Perhaps we should try playing a north-south type of game instead of playing pretty passes round and round the net. Also, try shooting the puck, with the caveat that the shooter shoot try to at least hit the net.

Very much this; after the Habs loss it became pretty obvious that this team's mainly composed of blue-collar players, so they'll have to make do with screening, banging down low and tipped shots going in. While guys like Hank, Dank and Santo do still bring some creativity, the straight-line, bang-em-up guys (Booth, Kes, Higgins, Hansen, Weise... etc.) should do what they do well which is drive the net hard and try to get and bang home rebounds produced by the puck-carrier's shots. The sniping finishers just isn't there right now for them to get fancy (although it's good that Hank drove the net hard to get his goal against the Jackets, to lead by example).

I'd also like to see Booth (and other high-volume shooters) continue to get minutes with Hank from time to time, esp. when they're struggling to score. His high shot volume should mean that at least some of them would get banged in down low, since this team'll have to score ugly against tough teams. Danny should play more of a facilitating role esp. if he's not finishing.

When they won the Cup, LA slept through the first 75% of that season, especially with a brutal offense. So, it's been done that way before. We need some of our depth-guys to come up big(at times), until we're more proficient playing Tort's way. Be patient until about Dec. Remind ourselves on how to get some ugly, greasy road wins.

Lu & our D performing to their usual standards, alongside this uneven fwd-production, should be enough to keep us in the mix. IF a nice trade opportunity arises(only giving up about 1 key young piece), we can go for it. Otherwise, sit tight & grind towards respectability. We can't expect to attain the standards of 3 seasons back-we've aged, as the competition's gotten better.

Need patience, people.

The only core players playing to their capabilities are Hank, Higgins, Hansen, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa and Luongo.

Santorelli, Tanev, Richardson, Stanton, Lack have been good support players.

Kesler, D.Sedin, Booth, Kassian, Hamhuis need to be better.

Burrows needs to get healthy. Schroeder needs to as well and move to the wing.

Tortz has been a huge upgrade over AV.

It's really early to be making an analysis on 10 games but I'm really starting to get concerned about D.Sedin.

We came into the season needing a top 6 forward and still do. Hoping Kassian and Booth would step up and get 20+ goals this year. Well it's not gonna happen if they can only effectively play 12 minutes a game and Daniel doesn't look dangerous as a goal scorer anymore.

Bottom line is we're gonna be scraping for a playoff spot unless things change.

I was part of the trade Higgins or Hansen crew before the season started.

Booth isn't a tradeable asset so he has to stay.

It's got to be Higgins + and then hope kassian can be a first or second line guy.

Role with booth and Hansen on the 3rd line.

I mean if we can get something trading booth+ for a 1st or 2nd liner I'm in but Idk.

You would trade Higgins but keep Kassian???

That would be a very big and stupid mistake. Higgins is dynamite along the boards and is not afraid to show up each game. Ihave seen more from Higgins in one period of play than I have from Kassian since he was traded to the Canucks.

What is it that Kassian has that continues to hold some of you in awe? It is certainly not hockey talent I hope. The guy has a good shift and his followers believe he is stellar and the team Saviour. When Kassian decides to put in more than one or two decent shift per game then I might see your point.

I really wonder why he isn't playing that much? Could it be Tortorella doesn't see that much in him either? The guy hasn't even proved he can be a fourth liner to date. He better get his butt moving or he is going to be the odd man out on this team, not Higgins as you have suggested.

When they won the Cup, LA slept through the first 75% of that season, especially with a brutal offense. So, it's been done that way before. We need some of our depth-guys to come up big(at times), until we're more proficient playing Tort's way. Be patient until about Dec. Remind ourselves on how to get some ugly, greasy road wins.

Lu & our D performing to their usual standards, alongside this uneven fwd-production, should be enough to keep us in the mix. IF a nice trade opportunity arises(only giving up about 1 key young piece), we can go for it. Otherwise, sit tight & grind towards respectability. We can't expect to attain the standards of 3 seasons back-we've aged, as the competition's gotten better.

Need patience, people.

Except LA was totally underachieving. There was a reason they were projected to be a top team that year. It took them until the playoffs to finally realize their potential, but they proved everyone right when they did. No one expects that of us this year.

Archived