The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest analysis of our team

vcrguy

Perhaps we should try playing a north-south type of game instead of playing pretty passes round and round the net. Also, try shooting the puck, with the caveat that the shooter shoot try to at least hit the net.

I do believe that all 5 Canucks goals this game were scored with "north-south" type of attacks. I rest my case.

Impressed by the way Tort's is handling this challenge of turning what I considered a soft team, into more of a team that is tough to play against (never quit mentality).

Really like how he is giving the top players big minutes, as it will help come playoff time when they are used to playing 22+ minutes.

To me Tort's is the "real deal", a passionate humanist, but also a realist. He looks at those kids and sees the struggles they are going through and how they continue to fight through, he expects nothing less from his players as millionaires playing a game they love and puts that in perspective for them.

Agreed. The Nucks core has been on declining trend since the SCF run. Instead of recognizing that and moving some assets to change the make-up of the team, MG has stuck with that core and added "project" players in the hope that some unknown will emerge and lead them to the promised land. Santorelli this year filled that role to some extent but the core continues to under-perform. After 2+ years of this, it should be obvious that while a coaching change can raise the energy level, it can't overcome a lack of real hockey talent and IQ. This team remains reliant almost totally on Henrik Sedin for its offense with no meaningful secondary threat.

Totally agree.

If this is a transition year and the team either misses the playoffs or is eliminated in the first round once again, I'd hope that the real rebuild then begins. That means moving a core piece or two for some highly touted youngsters and high picks.

Whether I have the confidence in MG to rebuild this team on the fly as Doug Wilson has done so beautifully in San Jose is another discussion altogether.

I am surprised (and it might be from lower expectations) with what Torts has done thus far.

For me, the goal is no longer cup or bust, let's face it, how many teams in the last 15 years have lost a cup final and come back to win one with the same core team? You can say Detroit in '95 finally winning it a couple years later, the Hurricanes (though they went through a lot of changes), the Ducks (again major changes), and the Penguins.

I just want to see a team that is ready to compete with some intensity, and make a series out of it. Win a home game. Start small. Win the cup? Win a playoff round. Give us something to be proud of, there is no shame in losing to a better team as long you made a series out of it. If these guys have anything left, Torts will draw it out of them.

Hard to say. the project under a new coach is just underway. It's one thing to explain a system but it's a long time before a system becomes second nature. What I'm wondering is this...is the roster here better than the NYR roster...they tried his system and didn't go to far. If we play the same style will we do any better.

First off, ntc's. Secondly, this team isn't bad enough to warrant a trading of the only all-stars.

The Sedins are classy enough that if they did want to leave they would want the team to get something back in return for them. I very much doubt they'd just up and leave in free agency.

Archived